• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 30, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjamison

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Binder 1650
Brian W - I have a 109 and I feel that though it's the least glamorous of my IHCC's (126 and 1650 being the other), it is probably the best of the three. It is a REAL worker. The 10 hp engine is blowing some smoke out of the breather, but has plenty of power to run the 44a deck I have on it. I use the tractor for camp duty and often the grass gets mowed every two weeks. The 10 hp engine is smooth and thrifty on gas too.

How rare are they? Not sure. I see them come up around my neck of the woods (within 100 miles) a fair amount.

I've got an electric hitch from my parts 1250 that I'm thinking about putting on it and also have a 14 hp engine I am going to swap out for the 10 hp. I really like the 10 hp engine in the 109 combo with the 44a deck and will likely spend some $$$'s for a decent engine rebuild.

David S - Not looking at my tractor at the moment, but pretty sure the V/R on my 126 is centered between the head lights on the front grill - just as Kraig and others have mentioned.

Though I joke about my modern 1650, I can't say I have a preference over the bendix style starter vs the starter/generator - yet.

As I tell my Boys when we are working on the tractor - just like a math problem/concept, it's always hard the first time around. After that, it's the same drill - and much easier. Aside from the normal knuckle busting that goes on refurbishing a tractor, one of the other enjoyable parts (IMHO) of the hobby is encountering a S/G and V/R set-up and figuring out how to understand and repair it.

Harry B - one more thought on my modern 1650 and it's starting vs the 126 vs the 109. I feel that all of these engines/tractors have their own personality and with it operating characteristics. I tell my boys - you have to remember what works with each tractor as though they are the same - they are different.

Quote" You REALLY think IH let suppliers dictate design of IH's equipment? IH had a TON of Clout with suppliers. Most suppliers bent over backwards to supply things the way IH wanted them. I have no doubt Kohler was the same way. Onan on the other hand, I'm not so sure about.... seems like IH would have wanted Onan to make a governor that really worked."

Dennis, YES! I'm sure they would get contacted by a vendor and have a discussion of what's coming for the next year. If IH didn't want it then they would be obliged to pay for it! Happens everyday even now. And out the door cost and MSRP rule the world as we all know.

And you beat me to the punch with the Onan example.. ROFLMAO....

Bill Jamison, I hear you on people that seem to want to spend alot of money redoing old beat up tractors. I have a 129 for sale with most of the goodies that has to be done. I do not even get any interest,It is the way it is. James..

MIKE - Well, how many years of Purchasing experience do YOU have? I've got over 30 yrs.

When I worked at FARMALL the last 3 yrs, I sat about eight feet from the Mgr of Purchasing's office door. I saw MANY suppliers walk away with their tail between their legs. You just keep saying "NO" until they see things your way. And if you need to raise your voice and bang on the table or desk several times to get your point across, you do it.

Remember, the salesmen who call on you have boss's too.... and one stern phone call to that boss about "No price increase and NO spec changes... OR ELSE" normally lets suppliers know you mean business.

I'm sure that IH told Kohler that the engines
had to be bendix starter to allow for the
electric PTO clutch.

I've only got 27 or 28 years.. and when a pitch has been made to the purchasing agent that their product is becoming dated / old fashioned and even the cheaper competition has more updated equipment... they have to move off of center eventually! Nothing happens overnight, and again - it's all about the bottom line!

Long time since I've been on here. Getting ready for the mowing season and mounted the mower on my built one 1000. Its the one I put the light pulling clutch in. That thing has been a bit of a pain from the get go, actually a major pain, and looks like after I got half way done mowing the first time the throwout bearing is shot. The pedal goes all the way down with no resistance but the clutch never disengages. And the bearing doesnt quite feel right, I'm no expert but I dont think there is suppose to be a lot of play in it and there seems to be. Probably going to have to send the whole thing in and/or ditch it and order factory replacement parts.

So my other mowing capable tractor has sat idle for a year since the hydro is all out of whack. It jumps and bucks and all that. Used to be better but it got worse, then seems like all the sudden it lost all resistance on the lever. Almost feels like the lever isnt even hooked up, you can pretty much flick it from R to F. So I read over the FAQs and removed the hydro to check everything out.

There is slop everywhere, was going to try the shims mentioned here http://cubfaq.com/hydrolurch.html but I dont know how to tell if the springy thing is good. It seems good to me? But the plate they are in has so much slop and rests to the side the springs arent centered in it. So I'll start with that. And I got how to adjust the neutral too. But all the FAQs I've read I can't seem to figure out where the tension gets adjusted? Can some one point me to the right direction? I know I've read it before I remember there being a picture with a scale hanging off the level saying to adjust it to 7 pounds or something like that. Just can't seem to find it now. And the grass is really getting tall! lol

Tristan, yep that's worn to the point where it will cause issues. You didn't specify but judging by your profile I'd guess that's a 129. There were two setups for the hydro control tension on the 1x9. THIS MANUAL covers both variants. And yes, this manual has the image with the scale on the hydro control lever with the 7 to 12 lbs. BTW, good "rememberer"...
thumbsup.gif

I may be a little late to the party. But I recognize the VR bracket on David Schwandt's tractor. This is the bracket Kwik-Way supplied so that the hydraulic reservoir for their loader could be mounted in that spot.

I moved mine since it appeared to wiggle so much. When I bought my 122 it had a welded voltage cutout contact in the VR. It also had a burned out stationary coil in the starter generator which I blame on the welded contact.

Here's a link of the wmv video file:

http://halitelane.com/cub_cadet/wiggle_movie_ii.wmv

Best regards,
Lee

Tristan S - I've got to do a trunion repair on my 1650, while it doesn't lurch, it does do a nice job of slowing down or speeding-up depending on the terrain. My 109 is almost like a gear drive. In fact, one of my boys drives it that way. He sets the ground speed and mashes the brake/neutral depending on if he needs to slow the speed or come to a stop. I catch myself doing that sometimes, but try to use the hydro lever - which I think is how most do it. I don't object to my son's technique as at minimum, if he needs to panic stop, it's drilled into him that he needs to hit the brake/neutral pedal first.

With regards to the throw-out bearing, while this is probably not related, it is something I learned while figuring out I need a clutch pedal spring on my 126. Apparently if the clutch via pedal weight is not held off the throw out bearing, that small weight can cause premature wear and besides that, it vibrates like crazy making a noise equal to the spindles on the deck!

Back on the voltage regulator (and other things) - I've thought about moving the V/R under the seat on my 126. I've also considered moving the battery back there too. I was thinking I could get a full size battery under the seat vs a smaller lawn tractor battery. I replaced the seat pan assy on my 126 with the one from my parts 1250 as it sets a little higher on the fender pan and would allow space for the top of the battery vs the 126's original pan assy should I ever want to make the mod.

While the 126 is a thrifty machine, I have run it out of gas on occasions and the thought of moving the gas tank under the seat (or behind the rear fender) is more appealing than moving the battery. Two reasons that come to mind is - I'm not to crazy about filling a gas tank over a hot/hard worked engine and second - getting the fuel tank bracket off the head - so maintaining it would be a little easier. I have another color tractor with a 14 hp Kohler Magnum engine in it, the fuel tank is in the rear and the battery is far out of the way of the engine. When you open the hood, you can easily put your hands (and tools) on most any part of the engine. The 126 would be very close to that if the gas tank were out of the way and maybe the battery. But... I doubt I'll make either change. But... it is a worker first and a cool tractor second.

Mike F - you are correct. Even the U.S. military recognizes changes (as big of a brute as they can be) parts become obsolete and must be updated.

My guess is the change to the bendix style starter was a combination of electric pto (as stated earlier), cost/assembly savings and some effort on the part of IH to keep up with the competition.

LEE: Thanks for the update. I thought that bracket looked too good to be a PO mod. Upon close inspection it is obvious that it was stamped (including the correct angle to clear the muffler)from a piece of flat stock and not hacksawed in a vice by a 12 year old. Real nice welds and good paint.

I have the engine out and the tower off to repair it where the PO cut off the PTO lever that goes through the tower and tried to drive it out caving in the side of the tower and splitting it wide open. Also the rock shaft is sprung with the lift arms about 1" apart from being parallel.

But as scarce as thee are, I think it will be worth it in the long run.

David S, sounds like you would be better off to find another dash tower.

Harry, I think it was Rick or Shultzie that had some serial plate repairs made one time and for sale.

Tristan, you have some great pictures there. I like the one of the sunset past the 1000.

What tires are on the 1000? Where did you get them? I am looking for tires for my 1450 that will be my primary tilling tractor. I think the tires you used would be perfect.

MIKE F. - And Engineering & Marketing have NO SAY in what the product actually is or looks like and ends up? Wish I would have worked where you did/do.

EVERYPLACE I've ever worked, Engineering wanted everything made from "Un-obtainium", meticulously machined & finished, and Marketing wanted it for 5-10% of the going rate the competition was paying.

I've had WAY too many great cost-saving ideas shot down by engineers who were afraid to change a part or process that was acceptable in the past no matter how costly that part had become due to antiquated processes. I can't even remember how many times lead engineers have said, "Go ahead, get a few samples, build some product up and put them out in the field for 40 yrs and see how they hold up." Polite way of saying, "Take your silly-azz idea down the hall...and bother somebody else."

One of the last good ideas I was able to finally push thru that was sugggested by a good supplier ended up saving my little company over a Million Dollars the first year. Had another supplier at the same time that reduced his part cost 65% by using alternate material that amounted to about $400,000/yr savings. Had a real hard time getting Marketing to agree to either of those ideas until I spelled out the cost savings for them.

Ohhhh, and BOTH suppliers were domestic suppliers.

ANYHOW, Kendal H. hit the nail on the head about the elec. PTO clutches, hard to put a safety interlock switch in a mechanical PTO clutch.

TRISTAN - Sorry to hear about the clutch problems with your 1000. I tried to warn you. Been there... Done that...

I got new "meats" on my boy's 7 last night.
buttrock.gif
It won't be long until we are both plowing.
285971.jpg

Shultzie!!!!!!!!!!!

That tractor with those grippers look GREAT!!!!!!!!

Went to work with the 126 again last night and couldn't find the key...
bash.gif

Tristian - you need to get in line per Denny...
bottom.gif

Mike F - you don't know nothin' When will you learn that the only legitimate "butt dyno" experience and expertise belong to Denny - LOL!!!

My EXPERIENCE in an Engineering department over some 25 years is different than that of Denny. I've had good relations with purchasing, sales and manufacturing. The fire bomb throwers, even if they were in purchasing, didn't last very long - which is probably why Denny keeps referring to all of his past jobs.

Back