• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 07, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaton

displayname
Todd Heaton
Kentuck, I already got one of Charlies clutches. The new one didnt seem to have much more material than the original from 72, including the years I abused it as a kid. Any and all of of the parts I have recieved from sponsers including Charlie are top notch.
I agree (honestly) the hydros are faster for direction changes, I have never been in that big of a hurry to get off of my cub. I love seat time!
3600 that would be wide open if I am correct? Would the engine cool the best wide open because of the amount air moved by the screen?

I guess I will hear from you tommorrow,Kentuck. Can't Wait
talker.gif

Todd,
Any air cooled engine runs better at WOT, as long as the fins are clean and the air moves freely.

They wear out cause they are always poppin out of gear.
rant.gif

I've got pics of guys plowing along with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the shift lever.
biggrin.gif

Todd:
It's all that shiftin' up and down tryin' to find the right ground speed....just a little change of the shifter position on a hydro..
Shift.gif

Careful - you'll wake Hydro Harry up........

Gear drives = steady pulling power (as long as it dont jump out of gear)

Hydro drive = easy changing of direction, better power at slow speeds verses gear drives.

Get one or more of each and you will have the best of both
thumbsup_old.gif

At the risk of offending you plow day guys, most of the day in, day out use I"ve seen didn't include long straight steady pulls; it was forward and backwards, mowing around trees, backing up after another run at a snow bank, backing up to hook up a trailer, cutting in and out around trees in the woods with a log splitter hooked behind. I got my fill of shiftin' on an Original in about '63, plowing snow at my buddies house..
lol.gif

I guess they're OK in parades though.....

NEVER had my gear drive "pop" out of gear, like I said I used and abused my cub for 15 years as a kid. Plus years of abuse before that from my older brothers.
Thanks for the answer to the cooling Q Charlie.

To be continued later, most of you guys got an hour on me. EST here

Charlie:
Truth be told that's how I drive the 129, one hand on the necker knob, the other on the shifter. The old OT MF 7 was even better, you could hook a heel on the shift lever, keep both hands on the wheel. Backing the 129 up, I've gotten pretty good at bumping the shifter with my knee...

I've had my tractor for several years and I never ran WFO and never had any trouble with it overheating or popping out of gear,then I joined this forum and all the "experts" were saying that a Kohler is supposed to be ran WFO so I thought"maybe they know something I don't". I tried WFO and suddenly,under heavy load, IT POPPED OUT OF GEAR !! well needless to say it don't take me long to look at a horseshoe and WFO went away for me just as fast as it came.The power chart that was posted a while back clearly shows that these older Kohler engines produce max torque at 2200 rpm,torque equals power, plain and simple, so all you folks who believe that manual and run WFO, burn'em up! as for me I'll keep puttin' along while you guys are busy rebuilding just like the folks who wrote the book planned it.

Dang I knew my ears were burnin'! (besides the other pains that got me back up)

Henri -
Todd -
Take note of what I'm tellin ya here.
An internal combustion engine is going to produce a certain amount of heat with every explosion of fuel/air mix , at any rpm that temp is going to be almost identical ... now when you're hot and bothered and yer buggin yer ol lady and she says, "NO" does she throw a cup of water on you or a bucket of water ?

WOT means the most possible airflow across those hot fins as opposed to the least amount of air across those hot fins... plain and simple. They are AIR COOLED engines.

... and does a tractor puller run his engine at a lower RPM to stay within the "power band" ? No he runs it WOT ... any puller / engine.

Last example -

Would you run your engine at WOT (or any rpm) IF you knew there was a wad of grass or a mouse nest in the shroud blocking the airflow ... I think not.

Running at low RPM you ARE the mouse nest holding back airflow !

<font color="0000ff">David - Safe trip !</font>

I'll bet Henri thinks a Quiet Line runs cooler without the side panels, too
wink.gif

HEY GUYS..... What Oil is best for My Cub Cadet? (ducking for cover...
lazerburn.gif

Dennis, I used to use Shell Rotella 15-40, but have since discovered Mobil 1 makes them start much easier in really cold weather. Price per quart always ran me off until I realized how much I'd actually use each year. Now I use 0w-20 winter, 10w-40 summer. I guess I never have investigated to see if they offer a straight 30w.

Brian W. -

You just fell for one of the longest running "gags" here. Congrats!
lol.gif

Latest posts

Back