• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 01, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Steve- I've been reading about the TA in Red Power and others, but I haven't found anything that explains how it works... if you can point me in the right direction, I could at least get an idea of the likelyhood... :)

Only reason for the hydro-gear combination, was that all the gear-stuff had been figured out already- wouldn't hafta re-invent any'a that...

BTW... Loader-Mutt is back with a temporary-fix. Still waiting on a toolpost for the big lathe, and a few other things, so I stole the axle off the Diesel project. Did get a template made for the new axle, will keep y'all posted on progress!

Could somebody post Any kind of a picture of the left side of an uninstalled hydro transmission. Thanks Tyler

Tyler T,
This left side or the other left side.
24648.jpg
thumbsup_old.gif

Thanks Charlie- On the linkage plate that has a "J"-like curve cut in it; is it possible to grind the hole out more or reverse the plate to get more reverse speed if we were to manufacture a loader that goes along with the "forklift" look like the design that Steve Blunier posted 1-1-05 at 7:12 a.m. Thanks

Tyler T

Back in september there were a couple of post about a ringgear carrier installed backward, giving three reverse and one forward.If its possible,that would work in Steve B's design.
lurking.gif

Tyler- don't know about the Sundstrand 15 used on IHCCs, but in general, hydraulic pumps AREN'T always bi-directional- typically, they'll draw residual pressure from one side to maintain lubrication to bearings and faces. Running the pump backwards causes pressure to be applied to the wrong side, blowing out seals and/or preventing proper lubrication. The easiest way to get reversed-operation really is to flip the diff carrier- this drives the axle backwards.

Dave-
I didn't figure that the pumps were by-directional; I was kind of refering to David Allens post on the manual trannies- sorry for my posts, generally they are clear as mud. Tyler

<font color="000000"><font size="+1">TOASTY LIVES!!!!
buttrock.gif

Pics tommorrow.....</font></font>

Tyler,

Reverse speed is limited INSIDE the hydro with a pad on the back side of the swash plate...it's not in the external linkage at all.

Dave,

Ken's book, "IH Tractors - 1955-1985" explains it well on page 11.

Basically (the mechanical version) is a compound planet gear set (stepped planet gears with two different sized sun gears back to back but not connected)with an internal over-running clutch on the planet carrier. DD (Direct Drive) locks the drive side sun and planet carrier so that the whole unit turns as one. When the carrier is unlocked (TA) the carrier's stepped planets provides 1.48:1 reduction and the overrunning clutch allows the engine to over run the output shaft while preventing the carrier from running backwards. In a big tractor this all took place in the housing immediately behind the the bell housing, so the drive to both the transmission, PTO, and belt pulley were all subject to the reduction.

Speed was reduced 32% and torque was increased 48%......a wonderful tool for tough spots because it was shift on the fly, or for just doubling the usefull speed range of the transmission...5+R became 10+2R.

Later TA's were hydraulically actuated.

HAS ANYONE TRYED FOMEFILLED TIRES.I THINK THEY
WOOD BE BETTER THAN ANTIFREEZE.

Dave,

BTW, every month in Red Power there is an add for a TA rebuild shop, he has a complete TA assembly pictured in the ad.

joseph c,
I don't think foam weighs near what anti-freeze does. Now if you have a bunch of Hawthorn trees around your place, go for it.
biggrin.gif

This 147 has a foot hydro; looks pretty good, but I can't tell much from the picture- ebay #4347897931
24657.jpg

Upon further assesment, they got rattle can yeller all over the foot pedal
thumbsdown.gif

I don't want to get in trouble for "ebay related," just showing since we have been on the hydro transmisions and their linkages

(Message edited by tturner on January 02, 2005)

Charlie,
We had foam filled tires on the skidsteer at work. Those SOB's are heavy.

Steve- thanks for the run-down- obviously it wouldn't be something that went BEFORE the hydro- just after. I'll hafta take a look-see at the inside of a hydro-case and see how much space is available... if a tiny-version would fit, I'd just hafta find some automotive machine to donate appropriate planetary sets. Another possibility is to use an idler-shaft arrangement with two constant-mesh gears, and a sliding clutch that swaps between the two... It'd hafta be a pretty stout clutch. Another option is to have a pair of planetaries, with brakes on the ring gears... off the top of my head, that'd make it an over-under combination, rather than a direct-under, but it shouldn't matter much, as long as the drop-back is 30% or so.

My grandfather's D17 had some sort of high-low like that... it probably had some other sort of trade-name, and might not've been planetary, but I used it on the hay-rake- fast in the straights, then flop it down to make the turn. Think my uncle Rick used it when running the baler, too, but I never did, 'cause he was worried I would yank it too hard and dump him off the hay rack. It's been a long time... and didn't do it much when he was there- he always made me stack the bales
bash.gif

Charlie, you would be surprised. Foam does weigh more than anti-freeze. We used foam in all the tires on our Sky Trak material lifts. It weighed almost as much as calcium chloride but the advantage was you would never have a flat tire. The disadvantage was when you had to replace the tire for some reason, you pretty much wasted a rim unless you wanted to spend the money to get all the foam off the rim. Another disadvantage was once we had a tire that the foam crushed inside and made a very bouncy ride.

Dave - lawnmower starters don't like welder "boosters" to well but it do work ;)
There WAS NO question as to "why" on the jump starting the 7000 with the cub ... just a little fact and a hell of a lot of humor for us nonferd guys !

Terry - why not just turn the ring gear over ?

ok I see that got covered ;)

FOAM in tires ??? may as well put concrete in them 'cause you'll think you did when you hit a bump !

Steve - send me (or post) scan of the TA you mentioned. I'd like to see the innards ... better to understand seeing than reading.

I have foam filled tires in my Bobcat. Now I have to replace all wheel bearings and probably axles.

Latest posts

Back