• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

On the fence Cub Fan

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker Fowler

Hello everyone,

This is Parker Fowler, in Simpsonville, SC. Glad to be a member of the Cub forum! I inherited an IH Cub Cadet 100 from my Grandpa/Dad. When I received it, it was not starting. I didn't know the first thing about small engines, or engines generally. But I was interested in learning. I spent a lot of time on this forum as well as using other sources like isavetractors.com learning enough to work on my cub with a degree of confidence. I am still learning and still very much a beginner. However, after getting a new starter, rewiring my cub, replacing the starter coil, cleaning and lining the gas tank, replacing the battery, attaching the mowing deck, and getting to the point of being able to start up the cub and use it, I've run into problems.
The oil levels looked fine to me, unfortunately I made a rookie mistake and something is damaged in the engine. I am not super confident about my ability to disassemble and repair anything myself, so I've asked a few mechanics. The response I've gotten back is essentially that they don't do the work that needs to be done. The engine is turning, but doesn't spin the crank shaft anymore (I think.) I believe a piston got stuck and snapped. At this point I'm at a crossroads where I'm not sure if realistically I should continue to put more into this machine, knowing how challenging it is to get parts etc, but I don't know enough to make an informed decision. My father suggested selling everything for parts and just getting a modern riding mower... Which isn't a terrible idea but I also have enjoyed the hobby quite a bit. So I'm turning to the forum hoping to get advice! Should I continue to try and get this cub up and running? I would want to use it for mowing my lawn regularly (approx .3 acres) as well as occasionally pulling the trailer for some gardening around the yard. Or, is this particular machine too far gone and I'd be better off finding a different one?
Please forgive any stupid questions or statements in here... I don't know what I don't know!
Big thanks for any responses at all, and I appreciate the chance to be a member of the forum.
Sincerely,
Parker

Attachments

• IMG-8090.JPG
    IMG-8090.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG-8091.JPG
    IMG-8091.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-8092.JPG
    IMG-8092.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-8093.JPG
    IMG-8093.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-8095.JPG
    IMG-8095.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-8096.JPG
    IMG-8096.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-8094.JPG
    IMG-8094.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Driving Cub.mp4
    30.3 MB
Parker welcome to the forum! That machine is worth tearing that engine down,you won't know what you need till you do,and the parts won't be as hard to find as you think. A few years back I had never rebuilt an engine either but the manual walked me step by step thru it as well as VERY good tips and advise from the experience in this forum. You'll wind up with a great tractor that you'll never part with...these are irreplaceable.

Parker welcome to the forum! That machine is worth tearing that engine down,you won't know what you need till you do,and the parts won't be as hard to find as you think. A few years back I had never rebuilt an engine either but the manual walked me step by step thru it as well as VERY good tips and advise from the experience in this forum. You'll wind up with a great tractor that you'll never part with...these are irreplaceable.
Hi RAllison,

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it! I will dive into taking apart the engine and figure out exactly what is wrong. I have the Operator's Manual for the 70 and 100 Tractors, but don't see much as far as the engine goes. Do you know of a place for me to find a reliable manual for step-by-step guidance?

Thanks again!
Parker

Attached is the Kohler K Series Service manual. It will take you step by Step through rebuilding the engine.
You don't need all the micrometers/precision tools. Here is a post from another site that has a simple way to do a preliminary check on your engine bore diameter. Can I just hone this cylinder?
Once you have that information you can use it to make a decision to go the next step, which would be taking the engine parts to an engine machine shop to do precision measurements.
You will want to find a machine shop/engine shop that can bore small engine blocks and grind shall engine crankshafts. Some NAPA auto supplies have a machine shop that does this, but are not as many as there use dto be.

I see your in South Carolina. I hope you rebuild the engine yourself, it is a great learning experience. If you decide not to do it yourself, I can put you in touch with a man in North Carolina, that is excellent at rebuilding them.

Attachments

• Kohler_K91_K141_K161_K181_K241_K301_K321_Serv_Man_0472.pdf
    18.2 MB · Views: 0
Parker, you presently own one of the best garden tractors ever built.You can buy a cheapy today for $2000 and it would be half plastic with an engine that won't last 1000 hrs. You could put a rebuilt kohler in that for the same $ and have a machine that continues to perform well....They are the persona of quality built !! If that quality was available today you most certainly would be looking near 10,000...

If the flywheel and PTO are turning, then the crank is turning. What makes you think that the piston isn't moving up & down? Have you pulled the head off to confirm this? You can't pull the spark plug to check as the plug hole does not give access to the piston, only the top of the block.

If the flywheel and PTO are turning, then the crank is turning. What makes you think that the piston isn't moving up & down? Have you pulled the head off to confirm this? You can't pull the spark plug to check as the plug hole does not give access to the piston, only the top of the block.
Hi Dennis, all I had done was the spark plug test. I didn't realize it wouldn't give access to the piston. That's great! Now I'm really not sure what the problem is, but I will be finding out!
Thank you for your advice!
Parker

Get a buddy who has some small engine experience to help you diagnose it. Worst case is motor is truly bad. Sounds like it's possible yours isn't as bad as you think.
You could still drop in a replacement engine and put it back to work. With the family history and blade and trailer I would fix it. Trailer is a very desirable item by the way.

Hello everyone,

This is Parker Fowler, in Simpsonville, SC. Glad to be a member of the Cub forum! I inherited an IH Cub Cadet 100 from my Grandpa/Dad. When I received it, it was not starting. I didn't know the first thing about small engines, or engines generally. But I was interested in learning. I spent a lot of time on this forum as well as using other sources like isavetractors.com learning enough to work on my cub with a degree of confidence. I am still learning and still very much a beginner. However, after getting a new starter, rewiring my cub, replacing the starter coil, cleaning and lining the gas tank, replacing the battery, attaching the mowing deck, and getting to the point of being able to start up the cub and use it, I've run into problems.
The oil levels looked fine to me, unfortunately I made a rookie mistake and something is damaged in the engine. I am not super confident about my ability to disassemble and repair anything myself, so I've asked a few mechanics. The response I've gotten back is essentially that they don't do the work that needs to be done. The engine is turning, but doesn't spin the crank shaft anymore (I think.) I believe a piston got stuck and snapped. At this point I'm at a crossroads where I'm not sure if realistically I should continue to put more into this machine, knowing how challenging it is to get parts etc, but I don't know enough to make an informed decision. My father suggested selling everything for parts and just getting a modern riding mower... Which isn't a terrible idea but I also have enjoyed the hobby quite a bit. So I'm turning to the forum hoping to get advice! Should I continue to try and get this cub up and running? I would want to use it for mowing my lawn regularly (approx .3 acres) as well as occasionally pulling the trailer for some gardening around the yard. Or, is this particular machine too far gone and I'd be better off finding a different one?
Please forgive any stupid questions or statements in here... I don't know what I don't know!
Big thanks for any responses at all, and I appreciate the chance to be a member of the forum.
Sincerely,
Parker
Hello Parker,
I live in the Greenville-Mauldin area. I hope you do well with the Cub Cadet. I've had good luck in the past finding parts for my 149 at
Country Lawn and Tractor (864) 476-9606 located down Woodruff Rd. towards Woodruff and not far after it merges with Hwy 101. I haven't needed anything in a long time so I assume they still carry or can get parts for the older stuff. It might be worth checking into.
There's also a parts dealer on Scuffletown Rd. you might want to check with. Hope this helps. Randy M.

From past experiences I have found the common kohler rod breakage but one time was the piston broke in the ring groove and the top of the piston was at TDC and the bottom was moving as it should

Hello Parker,
I live in the Greenville-Mauldin area. I hope you do well with the Cub Cadet. I've had good luck in the past finding parts for my 149 at
Country Lawn and Tractor (864) 476-9606 located down Woodruff Rd. towards Woodruff and not far after it merges with Hwy 101. I haven't needed anything in a long time so I assume they still carry or can get parts for the older stuff. It might be worth checking into.
There's also a parts dealer on Scuffletown Rd. you might want to check with. Hope this helps. Randy M.
Wow thanks Randy!!

Get a buddy who has some small engine experience to help you diagnose it. Worst case is motor is truly bad. Sounds like it's possible yours isn't as bad as you think.
You could still drop in a replacement engine and put it back to work. With the family history and blade and trailer I would fix it. Trailer is a very desirable item by the way.
Doug,
Thank you for your suggestions and vote of confidence!
Sincerely,
Parker

Latest posts

Back