• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Newbie - With a dream

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a IH model 70, and it is clearly missing some of its components. I really don't know where I should even begin. I have looked at the tail end to see if I can find the serial number, but I cannot find anything there. Any suggestions on where I should begin my journey would be greatly appreciated.
I can see that the carb is missing, starter is not there, and I really don't know what else I would need to find to get this running.

Attachments

• IMG_2531.jpg
    IMG_2531.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2530.jpg
    IMG_2530.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2528.jpg
    IMG_2528.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2532.jpg
    IMG_2532.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a IH model 70, and it is clearly missing some of its components. I really don't know where I should even begin. I have looked at the tail end to see if I can find the serial number, but I cannot find anything there. Any suggestions on where I should begin my journey would be greatly appreciated.
I can see that the carb is missing, starter is not there, and I really don't know what else I would need to find to get this running.
Welcome to the forum man!
You do have a dream!!!!
Check this to find the serial number.
http://cubfaq.com/serialnumbers.html
👍

Ken, I just refurbed a 70 and yours looks promising.It doesn't have near the rust mine did.The sponsors have many new and used parts.carb,starter/gen...Does it have coil?It is 12 volt....You should be able to turn engine by hand with front pto clutch(take plug out)...Stencils are available.Just about any question you have can be answered on here.Wiring is usually an issue on these old ones because insulating wrap comes undone and corrosion is common..New harnesses are available...Probably you want to hear it run so s/g,coil,and points(new or cleaned and cond.) as well as carb. Being sure engine turns 360 before trying to start,it's possible to have stuck valves that might cause damage .The condition of plug might be a clue to past performance....Use lots of penetrating oil and patience.Remember these bolts have been in place for about 60 yrs.Being too aggressive is not good...I twisted off 3 when doing mine,but was able to get them out the hard way....If you care ,all of the bolts have an IH stamp on the end ,a power wire brush cleans them pretty good....Best of luck...Don't be afraid to ask...

Welcome to the forum. The forum is a vast resource. The sponsors across the top offer great products and true support. I refurbed my Model 70 #69325 a couple of years ago. Paint and all parts from the sponsors.

Ken, I just refurbed a 70 and yours looks promising.It doesn't have near the rust mine did.The sponsors have many new and used parts.carb,starter/gen...Does it have coil?It is 12 volt....You should be able to turn engine by hand with front pto clutch(take plug out)...Stencils are available.Just about any question you have can be answered on here.Wiring is usually an issue on these old ones because insulating wrap comes undone and corrosion is common..New harnesses are available...Probably you want to hear it run so s/g,coil,and points(new or cleaned and cond.) as well as carb. Being sure engine turns 360 before trying to start,it's possible to have stuck valves that might cause damage .The condition of plug might be a clue to past performance....Use lots of penetrating oil and patience.Remember these bolts have been in place for about 60 yrs.Being too aggressive is not good...I twisted off 3 when doing mine,but was able to get them out the hard way....If you care ,all of the bolts have an IH stamp on the end ,a power wire brush cleans them pretty good....Best of luck...Don't be afraid to ask...
This is exactly what I have been needing, a group who understand how to get these running and have the wisdom of actually having worked on the tractors themselves. I am excited to find parts and start getting this put together!
There is not a coil on this tractor, I will need a new on, along with a starter and carb, to name a few missing components. The sponsors will be super valuable to look through and find what I am needing.
Thank you so much for your input, it gives me things that I can do right now and feel like I am making some headway.

Latest posts

Back