• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 22, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjohnson

displayname
Brian Johnson
So I have a story about my "new" tiller. I bought it for only $50 and it was well rusted up, but spun ok. I knew it needed some TLC and some cosmetic work. I asked myself how the heck is the chain case lubricated? Well, I guess nowhere is the answer. I figured a small hole drilled into the case shouldn't do any harm. So, I turned it upside down so metal chips wouldn't get into the chain, and I drilled a 1/2" hole. With a strong flashlight I looked inside. It was dry as a bone. I got the proper lube (SAE20) and poured a quart into the hole. I let it sit for a week, and spun her twice a day to get everything good and coated. It spins real smooth now that it's lubed. So, hopefully I didn't mess anything up. I figured lubrication is a must! I cannot understand why the factory didn't put a fill hole in it. Someone out there in Cub country please tell me I'm not crazy. Thanks.

Scott Stanton (Sstanton) Since your going to want to take your Cub for a spin after you get it painted you might want to have the K ready to go with the tin all painted.
I`am about 70% along on my 129 loader paint and just starting to paint the K for it because i know i want to have it ready when the Cub has the fresh paint. My .02

I got a 149 with a danco loader attached, but have a question on the hydraulic pump that runs the loader. The pump leaks so I either need to replace it or rebuild it. The question I have is "does a bigger pump mean the hydraulics will work faster or is that dictated by the belt speed running the pump?" The hydraulics are alittle slow but do-able but if a bigger pump will make it work faster then I'm not going to waste my time rebuilding my old one. There is plenty of room to put something bigger in there just need to know if it's worth it.

Don, good point! I was thinking along the lines of doing the K first, but hadnt thought of taking the Cub for a spin till you wrote it here, and that is exactly what I know Im gonna want to do! You should take up mind reading!! LOL
worthy.gif

Matt Cinelli (Mcinelli) Just a thought on the pump size. My 129 loader has a 4 to 8 gal a minute pump i think and i had given some thought to a higher flow pump. My reason was when lifting and then try to curl the bucket the loader lift will slow down. So more flow and i think that should end this slow lift. but i know there has to be a lot of restrictions to flow and i`am not sure what is the best set up. I know there are smarter folks here than me and i do hope someone can help. i would like to know also... Later Don T

Scott S my plan is to start stripping the tin off my 12K in the am if we don`t get washed away in all the rain we are going to get. with all the snow i`am sure there will be a few wet basements around here.

Hi guys, long time lurker, very seldom do I post, but I need to ask a question.
After being severly infected with Cub Bug, I have spread it to one of my friends who now wants one to. I found him a decent 1450 and am in the process of changing a head gasket. I found some interesting damage on top of the piston and the bottom of the head around the spark plug hole, I assume it is from detonation. I suspect I already know the answer, but I need to ask. Is the piston still servicable?.
The tractor is going to live a pretty easy life, mainly plowing a very small driveway/sidewalk and pulling a wagon around in the summer, just putting around. I will try to post a pic so The gurus can get a look see.

Thanks for any input

Paul
115115.jpg

Paul Lied (Plied) looks to me like 1 of the 3 screws that hold the breather plate on came loose and was sucked into the carb. I don`t think this will be a problem for you as i`am sure you did not know when the damage was done and the cub ran after the damage. Just my .02
1a_scratchhead.gif

Don, it's warm enough to rain there?? Its down right frigid here and stupid windy! We are in for wind and flurries and lows in the high 20's.

I got the 104 in that garage and saw that I could put maybe 10 more in there! My wife said I could only have 2 at a time as I posted a few days ago, BUT My folks live in the boonies and I can store up there behind thier house! I seem to have found yet another loophole in "the rules". She did agree with me today about the fact that we do need our own garage! I must say I was super happy to hear that!! She also said that if we did have our own garage she didnt care how many Cubs I collected, she didnt understand the point of having more than one but at least she finally accepted that it is my hobbie and I really enjoy it. I quit smoking too, so now I have extra money for Cub parts and she cant argue with that one bit! Heck thats how I am able to buy the front pto from another forum member!

Paul, I'm sure you could get away with that piston as is but if I were you I would replace it just to be on the safe side. I would think that it would weaken over time and give you more problems in the future and cost more to fix. Just my .02

Don

Thanks for the quick response. You know if you look at that picture you can almost see an outline of that screw in the lower right of the damage area!
Any chance of a hot spot or anything else that could cause future problems? Some of these are quite deep.
True, It has been running up until now, so it is anybody's guess when this happened, but I just want to make sure that he wont be having problems down the road, it might give him the wrong impression about these old girls.

John L., Allen S. & Digger
Thanks for the help. I did have a Parts Catalog for 400,000 and below in the garage that will help, but I was surprized it did not show a mowing deck.I forgot about the online parts look up that you mentioned. It showed a 38" and 42" deck for this mower. Other than width, does one mow better than the other, or was one more popular and easier to find.

Yea, Allen Thanks for noticing the Mule Drive, I didn't. Thats why I posted pictures. But as soon as I read that, I realized there is nothing there to go with the deck mounting or operation.
A friend of mine found it and bought it for me before I even knew of it. So I went to his house rolled if right from his trailer onto mine, and got home just before sunset. Took the pictures and came in without even looking it over.

This just might be a good excuse to go the Red Power Round Up. I'm sure most venders will hold parts for pick up until the show.

Hey, I also dug up today an antique tractor seat with small leaf springs. Don't know what it came off of, a little clean up and paint, maybe pad.
Would have drill holes in the fenders and mount a cross bar for the leaf spings. Just a thought, would be unique. What do you all think ?

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj160/Ihrokon/winter09001.jpg

Gary-
Congrats on the 147.

It looks like you have some other interesting <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> equipment there. Any chance of posting a few photos for us in the "sandbox" area?

happy.gif

Martin,
Farmall A!!! That would be perfect, I can handle that.

Aaytay,
I'm a big IH fan, I can try posting them in the "sandbox" next weekend. I'm just learning about posting pictures (a little slow). Cool, now I know what the sandbox is for.

Just looked there are some great theads in other topics.

Richard G. The nice thing about a "qa" snowthrower is that the mounting brackets are abjustable for narrow or wide frame use. I have had my qa42 on my 126 and 147,they both handle it with ease. You would like the 42(which designates the width of the path it makes) better than the 36 because the tractors are about 36 inches wide and you don't have much manuvering room. If you have 8.50 rear tires the 36 wouldn't be too bad,but my 147 has 10.50 rear tires which makes it right at 36 inches wide. Also I use mine on city sidewalks which are 48" wide and at 42" it makes a pretty good one pass job. If you have a manual lift you should find a spring assist setup to install,otherwise it gets pretty heavy after a while. You will probably want rear wheel weights and chains too.

Paul L. I am on the cheap side{easy Art}If the engine does not show any other signs of needing parts I would leave it alone. Those battle scars could have 500+hours on them and be good for many more. Just my two cents worth.

Well it's finally home. My 127 plus QA36A snow thower. I will post photos soon, where should I post them? It does need a lot of cleaning and repairing all of the "farmer fixes" that have been done. Amazing what you can hold together with bailing wire, LOL. This is going to make a grwat summer project. See you later
Brad

looking at a generator no. delco 1101698 for cub loboy will that work on my 147 or is it cw rotation .

For those of you who have installed 26x12x12 tires on standard GT's (782 potentially in my case)......

What tires and rims did you use (Type/brand of tire and SGT/non-SGT rim)?????

What Clearance mods did you have to make????

I'm considering some 26x12x12 rubber for my 782 with super steer to level out the front end and pick up some clearance and would like to learn from past experience.

Pics would be great....Thanks.

Back