• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 11, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmarkle

displayname
Todd Markle (Farmallgray)
I had the idea a long time ago to use a power steering pump from an older import car (domestic cars turn the wrong direction). An older import would have a V pulley and many used a remote reservoir. I figured it could be mounted the same as a NF factory pump, but plumbed to use the transaxle as the reservoir. I never got to try it though. I was told the pumps should have enough suction to pull fluid from the transaxle.

BTW, if using double acting cylinders the level won't change much once the system is full.

Here's a Cub Cadet that Pat Irlbeck had briefly (bought and resold) that used a auto power steering pump. I don't have any other details on it however.

228739.jpg

228740.jpg

228741.jpg

228742.jpg

228743.jpg

I did a Google Search and found some of these...

My Tractor Forum

Tractor ByNet

Popular Science Scroll down for some neat 1975 reading on garden tractors. Not related to this topic but still neat.

Garden Tractor Talk

Thanks to ALL for the added value postings about using the power steering pumps. And THANK YOU Kraig for the pictures. the cub Cadet that I had pictures of showed the pump mounted for reverse rotation on the side like a Cub Cadet.

Lucas J. Surplus Center CLICK HERE
... Ask for a catalog and then you can order out your own pump and accessories and build your own setup for around the cost of the OEM Cub Cadet units.

KENtuckyKEN. I'd thought abuot letting Lucas in on what would happen with the loader cylinders only it would be better if he used part of the framework of the loader for the reservoir. With that I'd definitely add a filter to the line going to the pump.

Now... A little off topic. On this video at the 2 minute 10 second spot it shows an H1 tandem with 45 series auxiliary pump on the rear of the unit. That is one of the styles of pumps that I help assemble on a daily basis.

Hagie STX10 Sprayer

With the Popular Science site go all the way to the top and start to scroll down. There are some really neat ads. Kraig M. will like the ones around pages 5-7 and I think around page 28 is an IH Scout ad. It is literally the whole magazine online.

KENtuckyKEN. Thank You for the compliment. They are made in Clarion, Iowa and pretty much feature Sauer Danfoss state of the art controls, etc.

Purists please don't hate me!

I didn't know where to post this but I have a question, a thought really from the dark area of my brain. Yea, the place where all those weird and wild ideas come from. My wife hates it when I think with that part of my brain!

Here goes--How many parts, body wise, are interchangeable between the Original and the 123? I love the look of the Original at the top header of the page but I'm a sucker for the Sunstrand 15U. I've cut grass and worked with Hydro/ Hydraulic powered garden tractors my whole life! I was wondering if it would be possible to take a fixer upper 123 and put the seat, hood, grille assembly, round fenders, and anything else needed to make it look "original" (pun intended)? Thus creating a Cub Cadet not-so-Original Hydro! Is it possible? Has someone out there done it already? Or am I just crazy and left to dream and figure it out on my own?
Any input will be much appreciated!

JOSHUA - Matt's correct, other than hardware items and a few gears & shafts in the transmission there isn't much that interchanges between a 123 & '61/'63 CC.

You probably could swap the grill casting onto the 123 frame with some fabrication. Not sure which hood would fit but you'd have to keep the steering pedistal to get the hydro control so I think the 123 hood would be best. The seat & fenders would bolt right on since the 70/100 & 71 had what you want.

I've never seen anyone do that modification before. I think I'd keep the air filter off the 123, the oil bath air filters are messy and really don't filter dirt out of the air all that well.

Joshua, Denny,
Even the fenders and seat would not bolt right on because the 123 frame has a "tall tunnel" rather than the low tunnel like the 70/100/71. With some work,yYou might be able to get the Original hood and grill on the 123, but it would look like a 123 with the hood and grill from an Original on it.

Isnt there a protptype picture floating around. I can remember seeing the fins above the tranny tunnel.

Dave, there is/was a picture of a original with a hydro trans in somwons profile that they saw at a show. Maybe Kraig has it.

Marlin, thanks for the research, it is helpful.

Kraig, thanks for those pictures that is a good idea for a mounting position for the pump.

I followed a thread on a different gt forum about some nice custom hydraulics that a machineist made for his cc 100, it had front and back ports and I am pretty sure he used a ps pump off a gm truck, I will try to find it. It was done so nicely it looked almost factory.

Lucas J. and Kraig M. I'll ask for permission to get some better pictures in the near future of the Original prototype hydro for you and everyone else here. Should be able to get some by the end of the month.

I gotta make things short.... I need to mow lawn in a little bit.

saw some talk about power steering pumps heres some pics of my wideframe setup. It has a 14 horse out of a 1450 but im runnin the 1x8 front clutch so I can run the pump off the starter pulley and still run a tiller or whatever. I only use the fluid in the resevoir and its enough to run a stock hydraulic lift. I want to add remote hookups and power steering so Im gonna need to get more fluid from somewhere probably the rearend
228784.jpg

228785.jpg

228786.jpg

228787.jpg

Zack, seeing your Cub reminded me that forum member D. Ryan Mull used a power steering pump on a 1450 that he put a gear drive rear end in for use as a Plow Day tractor. He called it a 1458 Plow Special.

A Big Block pump would be larger capacity , wish I'd kept my 454 BB pump but I let it go with the engine. I may still have a SB pump though , might have to play with it someday.

JDs had external "all in one" setups like CCs so there's another place to look. My distant cousin had one but I couldn't talk him out of it, probably junk now.

Marlin - YES PLEASE get more pics !! I've always wanted to see / know more about that prototype !

Kentuck, you think the cc factory setups are expensive they can't hold a candel to what a jd setup cost.

What do you mean by prototype from IH or a home made prototype?

Marlin, yes get more pics, and email me the big ones.

LUCAS - Marlin would know for sure but I think it's a prototype Sundstrand built for IH. And if I remember Marlin's story correctly, someone from Sundstrand bought it after IH was done with it and ran it for many years.

Sundstrand was able to buy it back and had it restored for display at the Sauer-Danfoss plant where Marlin works.

Latest posts

Back