• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 11, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucas J. That little Cub Cadet is THE garden tractor that International Harvester based its decision to build a hydrostatic propelled garden tractor and was developed by Sunstrand Corporation engineer, Charlie Ricketts. There were actually two Cub Cadets and one Wheel Horse. Wheel Horse and the other Cub Cadet had a different style of hydrostatic pump/motor. Wheel Horse went with that system and beat IH with introduction fo the world's first hydrostatic propelled garden tractor by less than six months. John Deere also used that same style of pump in their first hydro GTs.

After the tests were done and all contracts signed, Sunstrand Corporation put all three tractors up for sale. Sadly, no one wanted the Wheel Horse so it was cut up and sold for scrap. One of the other project engineers bought the other Cub Cadet and it may still be around the Rockford, Illinois area. Charlie Ricketts purchased this tractor and used it for almost twenty years until Sauer Danfoss made an offer to re-aquire it and refurbish it (thus the newer style IH paint and decals) and it now is on display at the company in Ames, Iowa where I work.

Some facts for you & others about the first two prototype hydros.

The other Cub Cadet kept the 7 hp Kohler engine. This tractor was upgraded to a ten horse power Kohler when Sunstrand engineers heard that IH was developing a Cub Cadet with more horsepower.

To keep everything inline with the engine the dash pedestal was moved as far to the left as possible and a hole was cut into the pedestal to accomadate the inline driveshaft back to the hydro system.

The charge pump for this tractor came from a fuel oil furnace pump.

Since the three speed rear end gearing wouldn't work for the hydrostatic system, Charlie Ricketts had to do a quick-study on mechanical gearing and design a new rear end for this tractor. Only the axles, axle carriers and rims/tires and seat were kept.

That's all for now. I've stuff to do outside.

Thanks for the info guys! I can see now by studying pics of the two tractors that it certainly wouldn't be as simple as changing a few parts. That still won't stop me from trying to build one someday if I get a notion to! I need to get the Cubbie done first and finish a few upgrades on the Cub-Kub. Then I need to let the wife settle down for a little while before I think of bringing "another" tractor home! It would be a real challenge to make the rear area of the 123 look similar to the CCO because of the hydro unit, drive shaft tunnel and of course the completely different fender seat system. A builder by trade, I know that remodels are never easy but they can be very rewarding...

Kraig-thanks for the photo of the prototype! How cool is that? Having that hydro between your legs gives a whole new meaning to "get your roasted nuts here!". I know my 15U gets pretty toasty when under a heavy load for a while.

Marlin- thanks so much for the history lesson on the prototype! I love that kind of info. It got me all excited about my dad's 875 Wheel Horse again. We are going to get that thing running again soon and hopefully I can convince him to restore it this next year. It of course is a '65 model. I would like to post some pics I took of the hydro unit today.
Should I start a new thread in off topic tractors and place them there? I don't want a spanking from Charlie! I shared that story with my dad and he was very interested. I'll have to find someone who has the production serial number info and see if dads is an early or late '65 model.

Like I said earlier, I'm a hydro junkie because I grew up on one, little did I know that it was a cousin to my current hydros!

Good Morning, All. For the newer members... A little more information on the prototype hydro Original.

Mr. Ricketts said the first time they started it the forward/reverse lever was hooked directly to the trunion arm. Since no one knew if moving the lever with someone on the tractor would stall the engine they gave it a little more than half throttle. Upon moving the lever resulted in an instant wheelie. They had to throttle down to just around a quarter open to successfully operate the tractor. Just as they were ready to take the tractor back inside and begin design on the dampner one of the higher-ups came out and wanted to drive the Cub Cadet. Even though he was warned about the danger he insisted he would be careful. It was a good thing there were others standing around the tractor when he pushed the lever forward. The tractor did a big wheelie and two guys grabbed the tractor and another grabbed for the rider. It almost threw him off and overturned.

The tractor was ladened with weights, literally driven off the back of a pickup truck and loading docks, mowed lawns, pushed snow amongst other rigorous testing. I asked Mr. Ricketts if they ever plowed a garden with it. He said they hadn't. I reassured him that those hydros were solidly built and could withstand a Plow Day Event.

If you were to put fresh gas in the tractor and a new battery it would fire right up. It was literally driven into the building, onto the elevator, and to the place it was positioned when it arrived at the company after refurbishing.

The CJR initials stand for Charlie J. Ricketts. They are located just above the CUB CADET decal on the hood.

Off to work now. Have a wonderful and safe day.

Kraig, yeah I borrowed some ideas from Ryans tractor. mine also was built to do some serious plowing. I like to call mine a 148HD cause everything on it has been beefed up to take some abuse. It started out as just wanting to add hydraulic lift on my 128 because I hate hydros and slowly progressed from there

Zack L. What kind of pump (make of vehicle the pump is from) on your tractor? I might just adapt one like that to the 125.
happy.gif

Marlin, its just an old gm pump that we had layin around. I don't know what its out of but they are all about the same.

I just did some GOOGLE Search on how to calculate belt length for those that may want to create a homemade or custom hydraulic pump for their Cub Cadet. How To Calculate Belt Length.

And finally I noticed this little bit of info. Pulley/Belt Calculator along with this... Durabelt. The Durabelt site when you scroll down actually tells how to determinte "pitch" diameter.

Should make some interesting reading.

silly me I just used some string and a tape measure and made a trip to the auto parts store seemed like the easiest way to measure for a belt didnt know I needed a computer.

Zack L.
board-post.pl
That's what I was going to do. Or use an old belt. That seems the most practical (and easiest). I was reading one clip about it and two young men started getting into mathematical signs and things that I'd forgotten about the day I graduated high school.

Here's a Smiley for KENtuckyKEN.
board-post.pl

Back