• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 23, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think all tillers buck on hard soil. Plowing is basically a requirement imho.

Any direction would be appreciated:

I purchased a 125 Hydro last summer. I am going to modify it (cub style, not aftermarket) to be a little slicker. As it is a Hydro, what attachments can it have besides the mower deck?... Snow plow? roto tiller? Snow blower? ... etc.

IF because it is a hydro it will only be a lawn mower, what is involved in converting? too much work?

As you can see, I am pretty green... but want to be more yellow.

Thanks for your help!

Howe W: Welcome to the Forum. Yes to all the above....First, you need to know that IH was a tractor company. Tractors do not come with any implements or attachments. Everything else is an option, including that belly mower on the 125 Garden Tractor. Being a Garden tractor, you can mow with it, but it is <u>not</u> a lawnmower. That 125 will handle all those implements you mentioned and many others. Because it's a hydro, about the only thing you can't install is the rear shaft-driven PTO which requires a manual gear shift transmission. IH never offered any implements using that rear pto on a Cub Cadet anyway...it was just a carry over from the Cub Tractor (same transmission) which did use it. Fix it up...keep an eye on the classifieds and get some stuff to put on it besides the belly mower. There's lots of help from the sponsors above. Yellow fever isn't fatal, but it's uncureable....

Myron B

Howe, welcome! I really like the Cub Cadet model 125, I have a couple of them, I also have a 105 which is the same except it has a 10hp instead of the 12hp. There are a bunch of attachments that will mount right up to the 125, here's a short list.

A 36" snow thrower, models QA36 or QA36A.
A 42" snow thrower, models QA42 or QA42A.
A 42" snow blade, not really any model numbers.
A rear mount roto tiller. The model 1A can be 26" wide or with extensions can be 32" or 36" wide. The tiller requires a rear <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> 3 point hitch.
If you have the rear <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> 3 point hitch and a sleeve hitch adapter you can mount turning plows, grader blades, cultivators and a bunch of other attachments. The hydro DOES NOT limit it's ability.

That rear PTO for the gear drive only Cub Cadets that Myron mentioned was for the most part useless anyway as there was never any attachments made to use with it. About the only thing that it was useful for was to run an elevator or an auger and in those cases the PTO shaft from the elevator or auger would have to be moved to the other side as the PTO runs backwards from a standard full size tractor PTO. It also runs slightly slower.

Gary Lee,

I've had problems with getting the rear tranny cover sealed as well after removal to replace the HyTran. Generally you shouldn't have to use gasket sealant to get the cover to seal but you do need to make sure that all the contact surfaces are throughly clean and dry from oil. However, I have discovered that the tapped holes in the transmission case which the cover bolts screw into sometimes were drilled a little too deep at the factory and the hole just starts to break through into the transmission reservoir. This allows HyTran to slowly weep through the bolt threads and out the back. Take the tranny cover bolts out one at a time, clean the oil off with cleaner and smear gasket sealant on the threads a dab on the end. Wait a few minutes for it to get tacky and then screw it back in. Tighten the bolts with a wrench or ratchet by hand until tight but DO NOT overtighten them. One time I ruined a gasket and volcanoed the holes in the cover by torquing them to the recommended torque value IH bolt torque table for 3/16" diamter bolt so don't do that.

One other thing I've discovered too is that if you spill HyTran while filling and it runs down and gets in the rear hitch groove, it can take a few days for all the oil to run off, even if you wipe it up as best you can, you can't get it all.

Hope this helps.

To all you CC Diesel owners (782D, 886D, 1512D or what have you). Do you run your machines at WOT when mowing? Dad and I never really did, usually more around 3/4 throttle but after this engine rebuild I've noticed that the thing runs glass smooth at WOT. I seem to rememeber the manual calling for WOT, it just always seemed like it was really screaming....

Also, stupid question, where does the spring(s) attach that hold the front grill on? I took it out but can't remember where they heck they hooked.

Thanks

Matthew, just a week or 2 ago there was a short discussion on that.
happy.gif

Grill springs

Dennis,
I thought all the studs and bolts were 3/8-16? Never heard of a 3/8-18 before.

Mathew K: WOT always applies to an air-cooled engine. That is the only way to get enough air-flow to keep them from over heating when under a load(working). The diesels are water cooled like your car or truck. I don't think the WOT rule applies here.

Spring attatching: on the bottom of the cast aluminum grill housing on a line even with the PTO belt,you will find a pencil sized hole on each side...That's it...it's kinda of a PITA getting the curled end of the spring in there. BTDT, I had to replace one of the springs on mine yesterday.

Myron B

Hi folks. I just became proud owner of a Cub Cadet 109(Hyrdrostatic)from my Dad who purchased new in 1974?? It is in great working condition, and will be used, it's not just a collector.

From what I can see reading here, I am at the right place for advice, when I start looking to add attachments, maintenance, and repairs. It currently has a 48" mower deck.

Roger M.
Welcome to the forum. And you are indeed in the right place.
And if you will scroll down the page just a tad and check the post that Kraig M. posted at 09:34 am, and Myron posted at 09:27 am, you'll see pretty much what all you can do with your Cub.
thumbsup.gif

And be sure to check out both FAQ links listed above.

Ken,
Thanks for the guidance, what about the clutch? It was working , then it stops, and starts. I think something is sticking...thus stopping it from working properly.

Todd

CHARLIE - Since the first Cub Cadets only had left rear wheel brakes, Steering brakes, individual brakes on each rear wheel were impossible but That Cubbie has separate clutch & brake pedals....Kinda neat.

Hey all, my 122 kept jumping out of reverse, so I pulled it apart last night. Figured a fork was bent or maybe a bad gear. Turned out the fork was broke in half and only held together by the bolt. I was able to get it out the top without disassembling everything. Once I locate a new fork, can I get it back in through the top, or do I need to pull all the gears?
thanks

Latest posts

Back