• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 13, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a worm gear on the way for my IH 526 Cadet tiller ('70s model).Did list as NLA from MTD/CC, but Case/IH dealer used the IH part # to find one in state. Yahoo...
bannana_guitar.gif

Marty,
I think I have to disagree. The IH Paint Committee chose yelllow and white from several colors. Photo complements of Paul Bell
224065.jpg

Cub Cadet performed well again. I tilled up the town little league field.
224068.jpg

Dan Hess

That would be a 8 inch mold board plow with a bent point adjustment rod.
The plow is normaly found hooked to a walk behind 2 wheel tractorsuch as this
224071.jpg

I installed a Kirk Engines billet breather cover over the winter. Last Saturday while mowing the yard for the first time the breather hose had a steady drip of engine oil out of it. There was very little air coming out of it but definitely lots of oil. So I don't think this is a blow by problem, more like a breather problem. Did I install the reeds wrong or the the filter? During inspection the breather parts look normal, please help.

Sorry, this engine is a k241 bored .020" over in a 100 that I rebuilt two years ago.

Tom, H., Marty,
Basically you are both right. I am not sure what the different colors of "O" hoods/wheels/seat were for unless someone thought they might appeal to the female of the household, but the area the picture was taken in has been identified as a conference room/auditorium/presentation room in the old Louisville Plant. The colors are all from the IH color inventory of the day, but you notice that Federal yellow is not one of them. School bus yellow is a Federal Yellow, but is not the same as the Federal Yellow in Cub Cadets or other IH industrial equipment. If I remember correctly from my days as a government employee, the GSA catalog and or Federal Stock Number System had 16 different yellow paint's listed as Federal Yellow.

The attachments are a scan of the FARM EQUIPMENT DIVISION TRACTOR COMMITTEE REPORT NO. 49, For Divisional Product Committee Information, dated September 29, 1960. Primairly, the information on page 4 and the note in the upper left corner of page 1 has to do with the color decision. They may be hard to read because I scanned them as a picture (usually more clear) and then had to reduce the file size to post it. Basically what is says about the color was the red and white and yellow and white were to be optional colors for the tractors and the implements would be white so they would go with either color. The note on page 1 deleted the red and went with yellow & white as approved by the Product Identification C0mmittee.
224073.jpg

224074.jpg

224075.jpg

224076.jpg

Paul/Charlie/Kraig,
Is it possible to blow up Paul's post for better reading someplace??

Just looking at the steering rebuild info on the FAQ page. Does anyone know what the size of the lock nut is, and is a nice605 something that a hardware would have? What is the I.D. of the Nice 605? Is it best to go to McMaster or someplace like that?

Tom-

You need to go to Motion Industries or some other bearing supplier for the bearing...it is 5/8" ID, BTW. The nut is a 5/8"-NF nylock jam nut, which I have only been able to find in bags of 10 from Fastenal.

Paul very cool info and Charlie thanks for reposting them.

Paul, great info.

Charlie, thanks for the high resolution version.

All, don't forget that high resolution versions of the photo that Tom posted of the various colors can be found HERE One note the link has VERY high resolution photos in it and if you are on dial-up you may not want to click on the link.
icon_eek.gif

Sorry fellas I havent been on in a couple days but lots of good info, thanks! I'll try and respond to a few of the posts...

Krag and Allen... yeah there are some good points about going all DIY. Some of the box store stuff now is worth about as much as the box it comes in LOL.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Timothy M. Pennell (Tpennell) on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 06:09 pm:

Tristan how about cutting your tree to a length your tractor will handle and pull it out to your truck. Cut it up at truck and load on. Where I come from that is called yarding. Don't handle there're any more than need to. Cut once load once. Work smarter not harder less work in the long run<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Thats what I was thinking about my dedicated logging tractor. I'd still have to fabricate up some kind of boom. I'd like to do that and have a tractor to leave at the farm but in all reality that might not be for a while since I dont have a spare tractor, need to repair one I already have, etc etc... I am really worried about being able to pull logs up the hill though, there are pretty steep spots that it struggles with a bit now, and I dont want to have to drag such a small log that it will take forever to transport a truck and trailer load. And yeah, with such a setup the weight of the log would put load on the axle so it would help. I just dont know how much the extra traction balances with the extra load and drag...

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 06:43 am:

TRISTAN - re: Your dedicated LOGGING tractor. I strongly recommend AGAINST duals on a CC for logging. While the idea of floating on top of mud sounds like a great idea it does not work in practical use. You don't have steering brakes unless you use a SGT, and with any kind of load you will reduce steering control and have no control over where the tractor & cart/load will go.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
Well the dedicated logging cub was another idea I was going to post about seperately but its just in the design phase so details like you pointed out will all shape the final product. I didnt realize duals would render it so ineffective though. I was planning on building a custom bumper that will also support a lot of ballast weight over the front end. I was toying with the idea of also making custom turning brakes too. You dont think the combo of lots of ballast weight out front and possibly steering brakes would help? Or just put single large tires on it? I was debating putting much larger than stock tires on it anyway, as I wont worry about implements with this tractor. Like 26-28" tall, and bigger front tires to match to gain some ground clearance.

4x4 would be great, or a diff lock, but I dont think thats going to happen on a cub, atleast not by me. I need to find other means of increasing traction.

PS sorry I dont know why the font always goes big on me when I quote ppl...

Paul and Charlie,

Thanks to both of you for the input you have on this website. Without guys like yourself, the rest of us would be left in the dark about the great history of this super little garden tractor. Thanks again, and thanks to all that have a part in keeping up this website.
ihrotate.gif

Tristan Stewart

I think one problem with duals and lots of weight would be broken axles ! the added weight out so far from the rear end and all it would take would be to hit a rock with your wheel weights and the axle would break.I think I read some where to run duals you need less air in the out side tire. I would get an ATV log hauler ,they are slick for yarding logs .

I just got the Carb cleaned on my 147 and have idle at 1220 RPM and wow 3750 top end. I will have to tap the stop back to 3600 rps.The digital tack I have is some nice to know what your Cub engine is turning.The best $20.00 I ever spent .Later Don T

Latest posts

Back