• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 13, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tstewart

displayname
Tristan Stewart
Thanks for the trailer ideas guys!

Allen - yeah I have noticed that about the box store 'carts'. Even though some are rated 1,000#+ they dont look very heavy duty at all. And that rating is more of an even load over smooth ground. You start going through the woods and across the field and up the hill and its a different story. Thats what happened to mine. Going up a steep stretch there was so much weight shifting to the back and pulling up on the cart that I guess it flexed enough to pull through the dump release lever and it dumped. What I want is a real axle and body parts that arent going to flex with 1000+ pounds on it when I hit a rut in the field.

Kraig:
If I end up buying one it will probably be the 17cuft agrifab, its probably one of the most HD for a decent price if I go that route. Also, nice idea on the homemade one. If I design something from scratch I was thinking about removable sides or some other features not found on box store ones like maybe even a ramp gate.

Luther - well problem with that idea is the trailer I take to the farm is already too small and its 6x10 so I'm not going to get another just big enough to haul the tractor. The tractor goes in the 6x10 then I pack rounds in along each side and across the front or back, along with gas cans, saw, cant hook, etc etc. And that trailer is way to big/heavy for the cub to pull in the woods. Here is how everything is loaded usually when I go to the farm for wood (see below). There is two rows of rounds infront of the cub, the I just throw the cart on top and strap it. I'd like to get a slightly bigger trailer, or upgrade the axle on that one too a 5k axle w/ brakes, and build the walls up higher with another similar course of angle iron and a pt board.

So I want a slightly bigger trailer but one that I can manage to still throw on top. The exeption would be if I can rebuild my broken dump cart for use around the house, and build a larger one for wood, I might just leave the wood hauler at the farm. I also have my eyes open for another cub to build specifically for haulin wood and leave that at the farm too. Thats for future discussion, I'm thinking ag duellies, a boom and winch for hauling logs, and counterweight out front. Then I wont need to haul anyhting big and could load the trailer full of wood and get more in a trip.

223999.jpg

224000.jpg

Tristan, last night I took some detail photos of the chassis (if you can call it that) of my old homemade trailer for you.

224002.jpg

224003.jpg

Took a detail shot of the brackets as well.

224004.jpg

I should probably put new tires/rims on it so it's usable. It was handy as a beater trailer.

Tristan, hope Charlie doesn't smack me for this but, go to the Sears site and poke in garden trailers and check the specs of different ones. In particular look at comments, the CONS type...your gonna find that most trailers are having wheel/tire problems. So maybe starting from scratch maybe an optional idea. JMHO

Tristan, find a beater LT. Strip everything off and make a four wheel trailer that you can leave at the farm. Then you won't have to worry about load shifting so much, plus it would probably haul more weight.
KennyP

Tristan how about cutting your tree to a length your tractor will handle and pull it out to your truck. Cut it up at truck and load on. Where I come from that is called yarding. Don't handle there're any more than need to. Cut once load once. Work smarter not harder less work in the long run

Tristan, also if you get the butt of the tree off the ground you add weight to your rearend, you would be suprised on how much you can haul out of the woods. Just a thought.
Tim P.

Well since no one has anything to say, I thought I'd show everyone the 50th banners that just came in, along with the long awaited clock.
Which BTW, was well worth the wait IMHO!
224016.jpg

First you have a HEAVY presentation box, (pretty Plain)
224017.jpg

You slide the box cover off,
224018.jpg

Remove more packing,
224019.jpg

And finally get to what looks like a very well made cool looking clock, made by Skagen in Denamrk.
224020.jpg

Tim must of broke the forum LOL

pulled the 149 roller out to start preparing it for a k301 that will go in it

224023.jpg

YIKES the hole is where I pushed my finger into the mess

I am told this ran when the motor was taken out for a puller

I found the only other problem is the leaking glycol filled rear tires and a rotted out battery tray

TRISTAN - re: Your dedicated LOGGING tractor. I strongly recommend AGAINST duals on a CC for logging. While the idea of floating on top of mud sounds like a great idea it does not work in practical use. You don't have steering brakes unless you use a SGT, and with any kind of load you will reduce steering control and have no control over where the tractor & cart/load will go.

I've been a "Passenger" on a tractor with duals many times when trying to farm around wet spots and because of the differences in traction the tires steer you RIGHT into the mud hole in spite of anything you do with the steering or brakes. Plus I don't see the extra foot or two width being an advantage.

If you look at full size logging equipment most that I see use wide tires and/or multiple drive axles, even 6X6's.

CHARLIE - NICE CLOCK!

got some more work done on my 61 O

got a lot more to do but i am ahppy with it
224027.jpg

224028.jpg

chris rolke
drool.gif

That Original looks cool red. If I was in better shape I would spray some red on this.

224031.jpg

My 10/62 O would look nice I see RED .

Denny

I agree with your tire choice. singles weight and chains will do the job.

Kraig M
worthy.gif

There is something in that picture for you.
coffee.gif

Chris very nice looking red color,
But you need to spray that little green thing in the background red and white..

Kraig do you have any photos of a 1x8/9 series painted red??

The 147 had the tune up tank put on to drive it when I got it out of storage last week.

224034.jpg

Today I see the carb is leaking so off the carb comes.I hope just carb spray cleaner will fix it, that carb was new and two years ago. I will have to install the gas tank after lol.

Jeff, here's a photo of one that Paul Bell took at a Red Power Roundup many years back.

224036.jpg

I believe this is the same tractor, at Little G in 2007, Art Aytay took this photo.

224037.jpg

Kraig thanks for the red cub photo. If I ever get to the point that I have time and can make one of mine available I will go with red on the restore/refurbish.

I have always wondered why IH went with yellow instead of red from the begining.

I think the red and white looks great

Thinking I may have to wake up the 1650 from it's winter nap here this weekend and get her ready to till the garden and flower beds for the wife in the next week or so. Plus have to get a couple of decks ready for mowing.

Jeff,

IH used yellow and white because the cub cadet was originally designed (intended) for commercial, state, and federal use. What color were most state vehicles including school busses? Federal yellow.
cubwinker.gif

Back