• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 18, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
296031.jpg

IH used several means of identifying their bolts. You check out a FARMALL H or M and most of the bolts will have a round raised dot centered on the head. The things were used everywhere.

Then there were the IH logo bolts like the plow bolts Mike posted the picture of that was used to bolt the mower spindle housings to the mower decks.

The West Pullman plant was starting to run out of work, some IH plants were buying bolts, and West Pullman didn't think it was wise to send IH branded bolts out to other manufacturing companies or hardware stores, so they changed their tooling to leave a raised WP on their bolts.

When I was driving semi in about 1983 I actually got to make a delivery to the IH West Pullman Plant. Had a nice chat with the guys on the dock.

The plant used to be huge, but I'm pretty sure it's been torn down and a strip mall built in it's place.

For the life of me I'm having a hard time finding information on hydro control for the 782. For some reason ours doesn't seem to have enough friction to hold it in place and I'm sure its been talked about at length so, can any one tell me where to find that info?

ok, time for another question. i'm making new guide wheel brackets for the 42 inch and i can get the hole spacing where it mounts to the deck, but the 4 adjustment holes, up/down, 1/2 in apart or 1 inch, and front/back 1 inch? if there is a drawing on the site i can't find it. i got all the pieces off the cast nose piece and all the bolts survived so it's comin,...hopefully it will be done before it's time to put it back in the barn for winter.....thanks kraig for the bolt chart
296036.jpg

Mike C., not sure what info you are looking for on the wheel brackets? Are yours missing and you need dimensions or?
dunno.gif

Kraig C.
He's gonna try those and then try'um again next year, or even again this year, cause that's how long they will last.
biggrin.gif

Charlie, true about the wheels, if they even last more than a few mowing sessions before those plastic centers break out... I was wondering about his questions on bracket hole spacings as it sounds like he is going to make brackets.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Mike C., Charlie has a good point about those wheels, they are made for push mowers and will not hold up to the side loading that they will encounter on a mower deck and will soon break. Spend the money and get a set that is designed for a garden tractor mower deck, you will be money ahead.
happy.gif

Jim, Jeremiah, Harry, Thanks for the advice. Talked to the owner and was told the engine wasn't rebuilt because the previous owner did it and then stored it. Starter/generator hadn't been gone through because, "it just runs too good". I believe that it was disassembled, cleaned and painted and reassembled. I'm sure it is a very nice tractor, but could never get any real answers to any mechanical questions other than "how good it was, and I just needed to look at the pictures". Based on the answers that I thought were evasive, I'm passing on this one and continuing my search. Maybe I could find a good solid tractor and find someone familiar with the 149 to go through it mechanically. Since I'm going to go so far to find it in the first place, maybe I could locate a reputable place to have the work done near where I find a tractor. Any recommendations for a good shop near Muskegon, MI or Fort Wayne, IN or Minneapolis?

Is the kit for mounting a "Original" timed deck on a 70 a hard to find item? Includes the special Mule drive, the side brackets and engine pulley for crank. I don't know the serial number of the 70 unfortunately, as the rearend was MIA.

Latest posts

Back