• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Steel ??????????

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acoffey

displayname
andrew coffey
hello guys i am going to make a rear blade for my cub i am goin to use steel i went to buy some and saw mild steel and then just steel i am not sure what the diff is or which one is stronger or hell they might even be the same thing i just dont know hahaha i am looking for the stronger of the two which would that be ? i feel stupid

i kinda get it now shouldive paid more attention in school i got another quastion i am lookin to buy a welder i was looking at the liltle wire fed gassless models that are under 300 bucks i am lookin at a craftsman that can weld carbon steel up to 3/16 and the other one is a lincoln that can weld mild steel up to 1/8 i only wanna spend under 300 bucks i only need the welder for repairs and som small fab work so i wanna know if it was you which one would you go with ?

ANDREW - Actually HOT Roll sheet should be good enough for a blade, I hope Your design includes some reinforcments like angle iron, round tubing, etc. along the lengths of the blade close to the scraping edge and top of the blade. Cold Rolled sheet which is just a bit stronger but has a much smoother finish gets much more expensive. I'm not real familiar with the OEM IH CC blades but I suspect they're made from steel less than 1/8" thk. The 80" wide blade I use on My 30 hp Super H ia only 1/4" or 5/16" thk. Check the website for Sno-Way International for ideas how they make the reinforcements for their blades. They make pickup truck snow blades with clear Lexan moldboards. All the strength is in the frames.

Art & I are biased towards Blue welders. But between a Craftsman and Lincoln I would definitely go with the Lincoln. Before You buy a little gas-less MIG I would check Your local Craigslist and see if someone has a bigger welder for sale, Lincoln, Miller, ESAB, Clarke, Century, Hobart, even LINDE have made production MIG welders. Craftsman buys their welders from Lincoln if I remember right. Gasless wire welders are O-K but You lose the benefits of MIG without the shielding gas, lots of splatter & slag to chip off. Something in the 130 to 170 amp range would still work off a 110V outlet and provide enough amperage to weld up a decently strong blade.

Also I'd check the yellow pages of Your local phone book for "Steel Distributors & Warehouses" Call a few of them and see who has the best price, and if they have the equipment to roll the sheet for You.

Denny-
Go <font color="0000ff">BLUE</font>!!
thumbsup.gif

<font color="0000ff">No question there....It's Miller Time !!</font>

Andrew I have to agree with Dennis.
I have both gas and gas less, the one without is just a stand by now as I use flux core wire in that one . The gas style you can use plain wire and really does a nicer weld without splatter.

I agree with Dennis and Art blue is best. Even if it is 25 years old.

113227.jpg

Anyone have experience with the MillerMatic 180 with Auto-Set? Seems like the Auto-Set feature would be nice for those of us who only weld once in a blue moon... (They're $700+, so that sort of shoots the budget for the OP, but I'm willing to save up a little longer if the machine will last me a lifetime.)

for the welding i will be doing for now a miller is just to much money for me im straight up poor now hahaha

Alot of folks are straight up poor right now. That's why many guys are selling their tools. You should, like others have said, be able to get a good deal on a good used welder that'll be much better than a cheap new one.

I got lucky a few years back and bought mine off of a radio call in auction. Stores ponyed up new merchandise for cheap advertising and they had a Lincoln MIG/flux core 135 that was listed early in the morning. I got a $450 welder for $270 I think it was. When I picked up the welder the receipt I used to pick it up showed what I paid and the lady at the counter looked pretty disgusted I got it for so cheap. I've never bought a bottle for it, but would like to one day. If I had some money last week there was a post on our Craigslist for a bottle of argon that was pretty cheap, but I was also afraid the bottle was leased and stolen. If I tried to get it filled I could have lost it all. Good thing I'm broke now too.

Andrew,
If you new what I paid for that Miller you would crap. I didn't pay much more than the el cheapos that won't last. If you are a little patient you should be able to find good used equipment with the economy down like it is.

Latest posts

Back