Ford Truck Help

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be doing a downpipe replacement soon

Dennis you said - I removed it then my truck was about a year old just to save weight. - HUH? What is the ratio of the Truck's weight versus the weight of the muffler?

I could be wrong but I think you just need to make 2 cuts and then bend the pinch weld get the aftermarket down pipe in. The second thing my mechanic told me was to get rid of the stock downpipe and install a better one!
Here is a pic of the squished Stock downpipe.
188286.jpg

Vincent Thomley

My 1995 Dodge ram with a Cummings (5.9)has 3 1/2 off the turbo to a flange to expand to four inches all the way to the tip pass the right rear wheel.My extended Cab truck has a lift out side window,opens about two inches and spends most of the time open.Third gear lock is a nice sound making 25 lb boost. I love my truck for what I get for what I pay. I get 24 mpg at around seventy. love them big hills when the turbo is making boost.Inline six will draw less fuel than a eight for sure. Fords ride better ,i`ll give you that. My next mood is simple.I have a new throttle plate with the same injectors that should give me 240 hp and 6 something torque. Say the show on TV ,they were putting a cummings in a ferd double Cad(super cab? ).So for 5th wheel trailer duty this year I will install the plate and hope not to destroy the tranny lol . Don

VINCE - Stock muffler is about three feet long, about ten inches in diameter not including inlet/outlets. I'd guess it weighs 25 pounds give-or-take. I figure there's thousands of Harley's with straight pipes. My pickup is going to have one too. It really makes the turbo sing.

Problem I have with ANY cutting/bending of sheetmetal is RUST from the cracked paint or cut edge. I would hope FMC allowed International to size the stock downpipe for 250 HP without raising EGT's. I was going to add gauges, I already have the Autometer boost gauge, and was going to add an EGT, not sure what else, maybe an accurate water temp or oil PSI gauge. It's really tough to run wires, temp gauge lines or pressure lines into the cab from the engine compartment on my truck. Auto-equipped trucks you can run them thru the clutch master cylinder panel on the firewall. Since I have a manual it's kinda "Occupied".

The issue with the PSD downpipe is NOT just a PSD thing, any V-8 diesel I've seen with a single turbo mounting the turbo on the top back of the engine has that problem. I had a bit of an issue one day with a '79 White RoadBoss II with a 903 Cummins, flange on the turbo outlet pipe cracked off. The pipe ran all the way under the cab. Even with the doghouse out of the cab it was almost impossible for Mr. Goodwrench to get the pipe out, repaired and back in.
A pair of smaller turbos on each bank would be a much better idea feeding into a common plenum.

Just outa curiosity - does the hot setup (careful, pun ahead) on turbo diesels include insulating the exhaust manifolds and pipe between the manifolds and the turbo? Use to be standard practice (in my experience, starting with Corvair Spyders) to keep the exhaust temp up, spinning the turbo up quicker....
1a_scratchhead.gif

KENDELL - That wrapping of exh. manifolds & exh pipes works on turbo diesels also. I've never heard of anyone doing it on a street driven truck.

The biggest problem I've heard with doing that is the increased heat causes cracking problems of anything wrapped.

I was watching some replays of last years Tomah, WI. NTPA Super Stock class tractor pull, all "red" verses "Green", unfortunately green won but Red was only 2 ft behind in the pulloff. All those tractors have side panels, even the old 1066 IH that came in second. Their exh. & intake manifolds are WAY more exotic than what IH put on those DT-436's at Melrose Pk. But then IH never intended to have 200 PSI manifold pressure either.

Dennis Wasn't the DT436 in 1466 & 1486, DT414 in 1066 & 1086, D414 in the 966. D436 in 986 . Are they the same block, same bore,.5" shorter stroke, different crank, etc. ?

PAUL - I've talked to a couple pullers, been years ago but have been told the 436 is actually a better pulling motor than the 466 in some classes. Sleeves/pistons/block are all about the same I've been told, just the stroke increased 1/4" from 414 to 436 & another .35" to 466. I'd have to check my ENG-5 parts book but I suspect the conn. rods change length with the stroke.

The 466 has a 5.35" stroke, makes for a LOT of piston speed at the RPM pulling engines run.

For an engine designed to run 2600 RPM day after day, maybe 2800 rpm in a combine, getting one to live at 7500 RPM for 15 seconds under 200+PSI manifold pressure during a pull takes some work. But strangely enough most of the work is to the oiling system, most pullers run pretty much stock pistons & sleeves. To go any thinner on the sleeves, increasing bore the sleeves expand so much they break the blocks. That gets expensive!

The turbo engines had oil jets to spray oil onto the undersides of the pistons to keep them cool, also the crankshaft driven gerotor oil pump was larger (same dia, just longer) than in non-turbo engines to allow for the oil jets & turbo lube oil.

Not sure about this year's NTPA rules but last year to keep the CAT powered Allis & Perkins(Cat) powered Massey's and the 6030 JD's with their 631 cid-6 legal the CID limit was 640 CID. And the pull I watched yesterday said the 1066 that finished second, based out of Monroe, WI if I remember correctly was the points leader for the class at that time, late June '09. So giving up 200 CID didn't seem to be a problem.

The Modified tractor I like to watch pull has a super-charged Big Block Chevy paired with a DT-466. I haven't seen the tractor in person, just on TV, but it looks like the 466 in front runs a driveshaft UNDER the BBC behind & above the driveshaft, then drives the tractor normally.

Wish I had the time & money to follow pulling more closely. The SKAAR/Johnson "Screamin Norwegian" tractor has it's home only 8-10 miles from my house. My Buddy said they placed 2nd or 3rd in LVL this past winter. I remember it being a single-turbo 966 15 yrs ago competing in the Tri-State Pullers events at Cottage Grove, Marshall, Deerfield, etc. There's a guy down home who pulls a big new JD in the same class, lives about 5 miles from one of Mom's farms, He does O-K, been to the LVL pull several times the last ten yrs, but it's always nice seeing him get beat! hehehe

We get this topic too far away from Ford pickups We'll have to have Kraig or Charlie move it!

KENDELL, KEN - To appease the "Democracy of TWO" and get this topic sorta back on topic, I got a ride in a turbo-charged Ford pickup, a '93 Lightning several yrs ago that was powered by an engine kinda like that one. 598 CID professionally built 460 Ford, Turbo was something well over 100 mm, something like 120-128 mm. Also capable of 2100 HP, EFI, intercooled, normally set to about 20-21 psi boost. The ride was short and QUICK. Just a hard slow rolling launch in low gear, shift into second until the shift light went back on @ 7500 rpm then shifted into drive and coasted to a stop. We went from 2-3 mph to 108 mph in about 6 seconds. Truck had a full 6 or 8 point cage, had been "back-half'd" with coil overs and drag radials.

The owner used to run at IRP in Indy until the track officials told Him the truck was too fast and NEVER bring it back to run again! It would break traction @ 130 MPH just after the 1/8th mile.

What was funny was, His "Other Truck" was a '95 Lightning with a turbo 358 Windsor, think it had a 96-98 mm turbo. With the fiberglass topper on it would run Faster than the big block truck. He'd tow the Big block truck to Lightning Fest's in Topeka, KS with the small block truck and average 8-10 MPG.

I'm not a real big fan of turbo's on gasoline engines even though I own one as a daily driver. BUT any diesel thats worth a darn should have a turbo!

SON has the crank & rods here to build a 380-390 CID Windsor for His L that was going to be a big single turbo blow-thru carb'd engine. But real life and the fact the engine was going to be a REAL money pit has stalled that project. We were talking the other day that $15,000 would NOT cover the rest of the expenses needed to make that engine run. Then what do you put a 1500 HP engine in to drive it on the street?

That reminds me of my buddy's '66 427 Vette. It would slide the paint back and break the radio aerial.
Your last line = I've got this cute '77 Vega Wagon ...

I'm GLAD that Vincent likes his truck, my self I've never had any luck with FERDS. I've had 2 trucks '71 & '78 and 1 '62 Falcon (cherry!) wish I had the body now.

If you remember some years back (I think I was here then?) when I was welding at putting in a new pressure treatment tank at a wood preserver place, the owner had an <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> powered smoker blue oval and I swear he had to use the block heater in the summer !

KEN - Son was thinking more along the lines of dropping that turbo engine in a '69 Z-28 Camero or a '70s vintage Monte Carlo, or maybe a '70 SS-Chevelle. I test drove a new Vega sedan at my local Chevy dealer the night they came out. Only Vega I ever liked a Buddy in HS had, a Vega GT. Don't know what He did to it but I remember driving to the town 8 miles away from my hometown with three other people in the car in something like five-six minutes. It seemed to run right up to 90-100 MPH with ease.

Dad had a '67 F-250 Camper Special, very similar to your '71. It had a 352 FE and an FMX tranny (early C6 with Issues) Nice enough truck, got 11 mpg @ 50-55 mph, and 9 mpg @ 70+. I had a '78 F-150. Got it spring of '80 and traded it for my '87. The driver's door was four inches SHORTER than the passenger door when I got rid of it, the box had so many holes rusted in it I couldn't haul bales of hay, and the rear wheel tubs rusted so bad spray from the rear tires covered the mirrors & rear cab window. But the drivetrain was stout, 300-6, NP-435 creeper low 4-speed, NP-205 T-case & 3.55 ratio 9-Inch T/L rear axle/DANA 44 frt axle. Other than U-joints, brakes, and one freak problem with the diaphram spring in the clutch nothing ever broke in the drivetrain. WHY did Ford have to stop using the LONG style pressure plate?!?!

Early IH diesel engines used by Ford were called "IDI", meaning indirect injection, or of the Lanova style combustion process, the injector fired into a pre-combustion chamber in the head. Kinda like trying to start a bonfire in a pop can! without cutting the top off. Doesn't work real well. Even with glow plugs they still didn't start real well, too much cold iron around where they were trying to start the fire.

From '94-1/2 all engines known as POWERSTROKES were Direct injected, with at the time extrememly high pressure HEUI injectors firing into a bowl machined into the pistons, capable of up to 21,000 PSI. And even after 15 yrs of additional development the highest injection pressure I've heard of is still only 28,000 PSI. Actually, CAT developed the HEUI injection system but IH used it in the most different engine families.

My PSD has started after sitting all day (12 hrs) in 15 degree temps, still had 15W-40 oil and a couple bad glowplugs. It didn't "POP" right off, but at least I didn't have to walk sixty miles home either!

Some of IH's early diesel engines left something to be desired. Like their "start-on-gas, run on diesel" engines. They had ALL the problems of a diesel, PLUS all the typical gas engine problems plus some others as well. And the early 6-cyl. diesels like the 236 & 282's with early glowplug start were NOT durable. But the 361, 407, all the smaller Nuess engines, 3,4,& 6 cyl. and the 300 & 400-series were really good engines.

IH entered into a joint venture with MANN of Europe several years ago. They renamed all their engine families. The "New" PSD, the 6.4 L is now known as the MAXX 7. They make versions up to 300 HP from only 390 cid. The '79 Cummins 903 cid V-8 I drove 30 yrs ago only made 320 HP. Plus the Cum-a-part smoked like a pile of burning tires when it was cold outside, only blue-gray smoke instead of black.

IH has to be one of the top 3 diesel engine manufacturing companies in the world right now. CUMMINS is probably #1, Mercedes is good, CAT not so good, they haven't adapted to the latest rounds of US emmissions regulations well. Detroit is good for the bigger semi-truck engines, but their smaller medium duty engines stink, figuratively and literally. To save face they even renamed purchased DT-466 IH engines and sold them as "Series 40" Detroit engines years ago, not sure if they still do. ForD is going to release their own "In-House 6.7L Powerstroke" this fall. Still a twin-turbo V-8. I wish them well, but I'm really glad I'm not in the market for a new pickup. And if I was, I'd look REAL hard at IH's new TerraStar.

Holy Diesel Smoke Dennis, it'wd take me all day to tpye that much script U did this a.m. .......<font color="0000ff">F</font>irst <font color="0000ff">O</font>n <font color="0000ff">R</font>ace <font color="0000ff">D</font>ay

Paul - I've got 'ol Dennis figured out.
He has his entire life's story on his computer, when he needs to get windy he just copies and pastes.
Now poor 'ol Hydro Harry use to have to do it the hard way , one finger typing at a time ...

I have a question for the ford guys (i have always had GMs) My oldest daughter is looking for her first vehicle and wants a truck we found a 79 supercab 4x4. This truck has a 351 modified in it and I have never heard of a modified. can anyone tell me anything about this motor?

Jeff 351m and 400 are in the 351 cleveland type engines.I had a 79 Bronco with 351m and still wish I had it.Lots of lower end pull but not a fuel mileage engine.

JEFF - The 351M was not the best of the three versions of 351's Ford made, the 351 Cleveland was legendary in racing circles, once the oiling issues were fixed, and the old 351 Windsor was so good Ford even revamped it for use in the late 1980's & 1990's after designing it in the mid/late 1960's. The 351M's are a solid, dependable engine, just not real good on gas, and don't make a lot of HP.

I had a '78 SWB reg cab F150 4X4 with the creeper low 4-spd, 300-6, 3.50 gears. It was a fairly dependable truck, but even driving like an old lady I only got maybe 14-15 MPG. I did have recurring carb issues with the tiny Carter YF-1 1 bbl carb, and I had water pump issues from buying too cheap of rebuilds, and the frt brake calipers always seemed to stick on mine causing frt brake drag which resulted in really fast brake wear and even poorer MPG. The drive train on a truck that vintage is "The BEST of the Best", Ford 9" rear axle, DANA 44 frt axle, either an NP 203 or 205 T-case, My '78 had the 205, solid cast iron, all gear drive, probably the strongest part of the drivetrain.

A V-8, SuperCab 4X4 with auto/tranny, think it would be a C6, no oversrive, fairly durable trans, would probably only ever get in the 10-12 MPG range. Maybe a bit better in summer on long trips, and worse in winter with cold starts & short trips.

My SON has a '93 F150 Lightning, 351W, 4-spd O/D tranny, 4.10 gears and it's been really reliable except for the rear axle, but it's been driven HARD at times, and he normally got around 14 MPG with it cruising, and 10-12 maybe in town. He did get about 17-18 ONCE drafting a semi cruising around 80 MPH and he had the tires aired up to about 40-45 PSI.

For a young girl's first vehicle I can think of many many other better vehicles to chose from. Something like an S10, Sonoma, even a Toyota or a Ranger. A 30+ yr old Full size 4X4 would be quite a money pit IMHO.

Latest posts

Back