• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Ford Truck Help

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig.."Just for Denny" you mean the WHAMbulance??? wherezzzitat?....I cannnnnn't find ittttttt!!!

KRAIG - The WHAMbulance has a Powerstroke, so it whistles too!
roflol.gif

It always amazes Me, I write a stinking BOOK and the little comments You Guys pick out of my posts to kid Me about! Guess that's why I spend so much time here!

SCOTT - Yes, back when I used to spend time on an old PSD site, almost as much time as here, I'd heard several guys were making that modification to the EBPV. My oil temp sender is out of calibration, so my valve cycles more than it should, sometimes a LOT, and it pulls the engine down, even when cruising say 45-50 in 5th gear. But tip into the throttle and it kicks off.

Fortunately the biggest hills I run are between Madison WI. & Dubuque, IA. on 151, and then south of Dubuque on 61. They're not "BIG HILLS" like out west of Denver on I-80.

ANYHOW, Hopefully Vince posts soon that He owns a New truck!

VINCE - The camshaft sensor (CPS now) is really easy to replace. When My last one started failing my truck "Died" six times in about 20 miles on I-94 coming west out of Milwaukee on a Friday afternoon coming home from work. I made up my mind the next time it died I was running off the shoulder, out into the weeds and changing it out. Just one 10 mm bolt holding the clip holding the CPS into the timing cover, and a two-wire connector. Mine had been replaced once so the bolt would come out easy. When IH installed them they were REALLY tight! Anyhow, it never died again. Next morning I went out into the shop and installed my new one, got in the truck and went to my IH truck dealer and bought another new one.

There's a recall on some PSD's for the CPS, and I've heard that the CPS from a DT466E works better and lasts longer. FWIW, all it really is, is a Hall Effect Sensor. Maybe Scott has more details.

Dennis:
Kinda like the ring gear sensor on the '95 E-350 chassis that provides all the speed info for the computer. Ours died at about 60MPH (when new), immediately dropping the E40D tranny into low gear. Wife was just moving about (this was in our class "C" MH..) and about broke her wrist when she got thrown into the table edge. They replaced the sensor twice on it in about a year..the speedo and cruise still act funky at a little above 60, the anti-skid reports brake failure (false) at times and the tranny will get fussy about upshifting. They blamed this on the aftermarket wire splicing that took place when the chassis stretch guys lengthened the wheelbase..but replaced the sensor
bash.gif

Well I think tomorrow I will own a '97 F-350. I mean I'll own a 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel!

$6000 seems to be the price!

Tonight's truck duty was to pull my son's car to a friends house on a car hauler. This truck is a pulling machine. I got there and found out/remembered what mud is again. Due to the wonderful warm weather we have had his place is a bit soggy, wet, and muddy. Tomorrow, Sunday, or sometime soon we will get the car on his lift and check out the massive oil leak. I think/hope it is the oil filter adaptor gasket - for I had a issue with this when I installed a newer 3800 a year ago. Need to get it fixed before my son thinks he will just drive the truck every day....

KENDELL - Yep, CPS & the speed sensor in later FMC rearends are the "Same but different", not quite interchangable but perform the exact same function. SON's had issues with his '93 Lightning. There's a brand new speed sensor someplace in the corn field across the road from the shop from about 6-7 yrs ago. Last winter's project was to R&R the whole rear axle, and install a slightly used Detroit Locker diff and new 3.55 Ford Motorsport gears, and all new bearings, seals, & gaskets, plus a Summit cast alum. rear diff cover with diff. bearing support.
Have I mentioned here how much I HATE FMC 8.8" rearends? I will say that I've NEVER had a second's problem with my F250's 10-1/4". The Traction-loc still works GREAT.

VINCE - Congrat's on joining the PSD Faithful club! I know what you're saying about MUD. I'm afraid to set off the driveway or sidewalk here. I almost had to pull my car out of it's parking spot on dirt(mud) the other day with the 982!

With the warm weather & rain the last couple days almost ALL the snow is gone here. Think I'll be mowing grass in 4-5 weeks!

Ref: Mud..
Two days of rain solid and there's NO standing water this morning...Runoff must hit the aquifer in record time here (of course we're like 8 feet above sea level, I think...so it doesn't have far to go).

Vince - have fun with the new hauler - 5th wheel in your future?? I helped build a 5th wheel style flat bed a few years ago, would have hauled about 8 Cubs at a time..owner already had a 5th wheel RV, so didn't want a stock hitch on the flat bed..pulled really nice.

Vince-
I was looking over those pictures of your new truck you posted last week and have a question.

Where's the bow-tie on that truck?
biggrin.gif

bow-tie, well after I run over your suburban there might be a bow-tie indention on my front bumper.......... Of course Just Kidding!
clappy.gif
beerchug.gif

The other day in a parking lot I told my daughter to park next to the truck. I said just look for the biggest vehicle that is not a school bus.

Vince and Dennis,

Yes the CPS in the 7.3L PSD is still an issue. I read today the newest one is a Gray one with a silver bracket instead of a black one with a gold bracket...... The gray one is suposed to be the "fix" but have still read of problems. The quickest symptom of a bad CPS is no tach when cranking..... most guys carry a 10mm and an extra CPS at all times, and if they have to replace it, they immediatly go and buy another spare..... hopefully they get a resolution.... I know the CPS is not an issue on the 6.0..... So I would say even if it was just replaced, go and buy a spare.....

Also, another no start / truck dies issue can be from a shorted fuel heater. The 30 amp fuse in the under-dash fuse panel runs the fuel heater and the PCM..... if the heater shorts out and pops the fuse the truck is dead in the water. If you replace the fuse and it pops immediatly, unplug the wire from the heater on the fuel bowl, replace the fuse again.. and you are back in business.....

Also, on the 7.3 alot of parts are available from IH (Naviastar) an are much less than Ford....

I replaced my CPS Saturday, no turning off, or and other problems since! If I ever have any other problems I will figured it's Art messing with my truck...

I got to go outside for lunch, WOW 59 degrees!

Now back to surfin'

SCOTT - Yep, I started pricing out engine parts as soon as I ordered my PSD, things like oil & fuel filters. I've gotten all my CPS's and most of my GPR's from the local IH truck dealer. I would have bought my GP's from them also but a Buddy @ the RPM forum was a Ford Parts Mgr and gave Me a great deal on them!

VINCE - You'll have to find yourself a good clean 5 gal. bucket for oil changes. A 12 in. cresant wrench, a small hammer and sharp punch, and the biggest oil filter wrench you can find are all you need for an oil change. Compared to Son's 351W-powered '93 Lightning a PSD is great to service. The oil pan & filter both drain into a 5-gal. bucket. Use the punch & hammer to put a small hole in the bottom of the oil filter and it drains as the oil pan drains. I always "Pre-fill" the new oil filter so the engine gets oil PSI quicker at start-up. Everything is accessable and in the open.

My Wife used to drive my old '78 F-150 sometimes. Even drove the '87 F-150 a time or two. But the only time She's ever driven the PSD was to move it from in front of her garage to get her car out.

ALSO Vince - Make sure ANYONE who drives your new truck doesn't try to do you a favor and "Gas" it up for You by adding 15-20 gal. of No-Lead to one or both tanks. I've never done it but it appears to be rather common by the number of posts I've seen on PSD forums. I also save all my fuel reciepts and normally only buy fuel at ONE station, in case I get a tank of mixed fuel, or a tank infected with algae &/or water.

Dennis - That happens in reverse too !

Back in the mid 80s my fishing partner had a '79 Scout and stopped to get gas. I went in to pay while he pumped. We got about a mile up the road when the DIESEL kicked in that he pumped in !

Vince-
Quote: "Well after I run over your Suburban there might be a bow-tie indention on my front bumper.......... "

Yeah......"IF" it starts!
wedgie.gif

FWIW, I don't have to carry extra parts in my truck to keep it running...
whistling.gif

<font size="-2">Watch...Now I'll break down at the next PD and have to get tow'd home by a F*rd!</font>

I carried a spare ballast resistor for years in my dodges, never had to use it. But you never know.

Art, no worries, I am sure the Powerstroke will barely break a sweat pulling the 'burb home!

Dennis, you had me a bit worried with the "12 in. cresant wrench, a small hammer and sharp punch" part of the oil change...but I think I understand!

Back