• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Ford Truck Help

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And for Charlie's "jack up the gas cap and drive a Chevy underneath it" I've dropped $1100 on this so far...
Ugh. Even finding the least expensive parts, not necessarily cheapest quality, online, etc. It's getting up there...

Coolant leak is fixed, wrong o ring came with the intake. Just need the check engine light to come on to verify what is causing the miss.

More ribbin headed yer way! LOL
314689.jpg

I had an 86 C-10 I loved! Got from my dad. Fully loaded Silverado, rode like a caddy! If it wasn't for a no good person, I'd still have it. But I digest, burp. Good sandwich.

Thing is, I know more about fixing Chevy's than anything!
err.gif

Earl,

Make sure all 8 injectors and coil packs are plugged in. On my 2000 P71 4.6 there was a wire that had a push-on connector that pushed on one of the mounting studs on the intake. My replacement intake used all bolts, and we had left that wire hanging. On first start-up, it missed, surged and just ran all kinds of funny. Shut down the engine, grounded that wire to the body, and on the restart, the engine was running fine. Also, make sure there aren't any fluids in the plug wells. My 2000 P71 developed a miss not long after I bought it. The PO had apparently washed the engine, as few of the plug holes had water in them... It may take a bit for the CEL to light. When the 2000 P71 blew the spark plug, I unplugged the #5 injector and had the plug and coil in the center console. I started and drove the car almost 10 miles home and parked it. A week later, after the thread repair kit came in, I started the car to pull it into the garage. That's when the CEL light came on.....

I've got about $600 in my intake, but nothing broke when I took it apart. Glad to hear you got it all back together. Still love both my P71's... I've put almost 17,000 miles on my 2007 since I bought it April of 16.....

I'll double check (well triple) the connections again. I had the miss come and go right before the intake debacle. My friend heated and sprayed penetrating oil on the broken bolts several times before they even considered moving. He did drill and tap 2 of them. He has quite a collection of machinist tools. Even metric!! I believe the spark plug holes are dry, but I definitely could have missed something.
Oh, and for Charlie, he's a Chevy guy. Has a beautiful 69 Nova, turbo charged 5.3 litre v8.

Thanks for all the help! I'll be really happy when I can confidently drive it again.

Well C.E.L. light finally came on, only took 23 miles, lean condition on cylinder bank 1, passenger side I believe. Had same intermittent issue right before I changed intake. No specific misfire this time. Was on cylinder#2 last time, but new coil packs really helped that. I am leaning towards a fuel injector, it's missing on one cylinder for sure. I'll be double (uh what's the word for 7 times?)checking everything we have done this afternoon, then unplugging one injector at a time to verify my findings. If in fact unplugging the injector shows no change, is when I'd get and replace it. But I have more sleuthing to do.

Yes, it's been that long. Soon after the last post, it started knocking. Took off oil filter and opened up to find metal shavings. Ugh. Took last couple months to find a decent vehicle to replace her in the short term. Finally found a little ranger that drives alright and gets me to work and around town. So my cub fund, that was already obliterated, is the truck fund now. This winter will see me yanking the engine and taking to a shop for machining evaluation, when I get the $$$$. Needless to say, no cub work happened in the last couple months. I was too focused on truck situation. Hopefully will be getting to some of that now that I'm not stressed.

Oh, something I should mention is my oil pump failed, well, is failing. I forget what it read, but it was far lower on the gauge I put in than required. Like 10 psi or so. Lots of possibilities exist until I can actually open the engine up and find out what happened.

Well the company "Better Idea Ford" 2008 158K mile 550 Power Stroke diesel left us stranded early yesterday AM on the side of I-35 near the IA/MO border and had to come home on the hook. Lost power in a big cloud of smoke and de-rated to 20 mph

No compression in No's 1,2 & 8.
Oil showed about a gallon overfull.

Was not a fun day for all involved, thankfully I was in the jump seat after delivering a plow truck the day before in KC,MO. and the blade for it to Topeka, Part of an order for the KS DOT.

The day before (wed AM), when we left the plant, the Navistar plow truck I was to deliver gelled up before we even got off the lot.
It was -12 and I immediately was concerned when I got there at 4:30 AM to find it was sitting outside, un-started, not plugged in, and full of blended (yeah, right) with "additive package" fuel.
They got it inside, finally, and pumped about 1/2 the fuel from the tank and refilled it w/No 1, which they should have done the day before! I never have put much faith in all the snake oil additive crap that's supposedly good to, what, -20?? And I have even less faith now!!

Uh-Oh! David is talking trash about snake oil?

Are you going to stand for this Charlie?

Where I worked we had a lot of trouble with fuel gelling in the diesel trucks. The pickups would freez up from snow packed under them. Our fuel supplier was supposed to be adding fuel treatment to our fuel but wasn't getting done.We started useing Dyson oil and never had another problem. We had a few Dodge trucks and they would freeze and do nothing but idle. We would put the Dyson oil in them and 15 minutes later they ran like they should. That was in the 1990s.

Too bad David! One of our customers picked up in a 2009 f450 that the crank exploded idling in the parking lot. 94k miles. I won't buy a newer Ford, despite my name. I'm looking towards Dodge, and (gulp) GM. But I'll get what I got already fixed first.

Back