• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 07, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcrews

displayname
James Crews
Hello
I have 2 104s and one has a 38 inch deck and the other tha will be turned into a 124 came with a 44 inch deck. I refinished the hanger that the 2nd one came with and see how it will do on the other 104.It really runs strong and as long as I don't try to bushog with it I think it should be fine.If it won't (experts) please let me know.
ihrotate.gif

James C., are you sure that the deck on the 124 isn't actually a 42" deck? The 44" deck won't easily fit under a 124.
64689.gif

Kirk L., you are correct, the 72 and 73 have different paint on the dash. The only other difference that I can think of is that they have different grill inserts. The 72 has a plain expanded metal (mesh) insert, the 73 has an expanded metal insert with two ~1" wide vertical strips bent into the metal. And the headlight surrounds are different, round on the 72 and squarish on the 73. Dang, I should have found a 72 grill with headlights.......
bash.gif

64690.jpg

Above is a 72 style grill insert.

64691.jpg

Above is a 73 style grill insert.

May as well show the white dash of the 73 while I'm posting photos. Please note that this one has had the seat replaced with an incorrect seat!!!

64696.jpg

Kraig,
In case you hadn't noticed, the Correct Police seemed to have died off many moons ago, sad to say!

Charlie, yes I've noticed. The reason that I mentioned the seat is because Michael was asking about differences between the 72 and 73 so I didn't want him to assume that the seats were different.
angel.gif

Kraig,
Is that a stock steering wheel on the 73 with the wrong seat? It looks like an older model wheel.

Terry, AFAIK the 73 used that old style steering wheel like the 72, 70 and Original used. Note that it also used the same style hood as the 72, 1x4/5 series with the crease down the center of the hood and with a chrome ornament and not the hood style of the 1x6/7 series with the raised area and no chrome hood ornament.

Terry, here's a photo of the hood, steering wheel and headlight detail of Lance Benton's 73.

64698.jpg

Thanks Kraig, the pics help alot. What about the shifter knobs? The 73 I just brought home has a knob (with the shift pattern printed on it) like the one in your 2nd from last photo. My 71 has a plain rubber knob like the OCC, and I'm not sure about the 72.
My 73 has been monkeyed with so I'm just trying to figure out what is original on it.

Here are some pics of the newest tractor.

64708.jpg

64709.jpg

64710.jpg

64711.jpg

64712.jpg

64713.jpg

Can anyone ID this steering wheel? Could it be original?

64714.jpg

64715.jpg

Michael, hmmmm, the steering wheel looks like the steering wheel from a model 100 or 1x2/3 series. What is the SN of your 73? The grill insert looks correct for a 73. The dash should be painted white on a 73. The seat looks like a typical replacement seat that Cub Cadet sold in place of the steel pan seat. The headlights are a home made modification. I'm not sure about the shift knob, it looks like an <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> shift knob but not sure that it's correct for a model 73.

Michael, looks like that shift knob is correct, this is from a 1970 Cub Cadet brochure/calendar that highlighted the 73, 1x6/7 series.

64717.jpg

Kraig,
I decided to get up off my recliner, go outside, and take a couple of pictures of my 73. I was wrong about the steering wheel. I was thinking about turning it into a trailer queen. I think it would make a nice show piece.
64722.jpg

64723.jpg

64724.jpg

I have one more question about raising the front of my cub... how much will that affect my mowing abilities... (mostly hilly yard, if that helps)

Terry, that should clean up nice, might want to loose those fenders though.....
happy.gif

Glen, good question, you may have to answer that yourself, I don't know of too many that have raised the front of their Cubs. Lonny B. built a high clearance Cub Cadet that had taller rear tires and custom front spindles to raise the front, perhaps he'll have an answer for you.

Also, doesn't a spring assist increase your hydro cylinder's capabilities?

Kraig,
The sn is 392775, that would make it May 1971.
Here's a pic of the underside of the steering wheel cap:

64727.jpg

Michael, that is the steering wheel cap for a 1x6/7 series Cub Cadet, the same series that a 73 is from. I don't think it came with it as that style steering wheel is from the older 1x2/3 series and even older model 100. On the SN what are the other numbers, the number before the "U"? Does it by chance include this sequence: "205036"?

Latest posts

Back