• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 11, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwestfall

displayname
Chris Westfall
well after about 8 years as a yard ornament and a new cutting chain the ground saw now works and moves
232538.jpg

232539.jpg

Great to see it operational Chris. That's on my wish list.

Back from my free dinner at Applebee's. Thankyou all veterans and a big thanks to Applebee's for supporting the vets!

Still working on the 1450,but have another little problem.How do you keep a Walbro from leaking gas when you can't replace the needle.

Hi guys,

If you remember a few months ago I was the one that a dealer wanted to charge over $700 to replace the pto on my 127. Well I got that taken care of and finished the mowing season. Took the deck off today and mounted the QA-42A snowthrower. This is the first time that I have had it on since I just bought the tractor in May. Something about it just doesn't seem to match up right. The lift rod that goes to my electric lift rubs the front axle when attached and it doesn't give me much lift at all. 2" at most. It seems like the bracket that it attaches to on the snowthrower frame is about an inch short. As I am looking at it it sure looks like maybe the blower was built for a wide frame but someone tried to "jerry rig" it and make it fit a narrow frame cub. Is that even possible?

Also, how can I check the fluid in the 90 deg. gear box? What kind of fluid does it take. Thanks for the help.

Brian, the QA42A was designed to work on both the Wide Frame and the Narrow Frame Cub Cadets. Here's a link to the QA42A Manual. If you post a photo or two perhaps we can spot something that doesn't look right.

Chris, that's a really fantastic setup. I wonder how many of those are still complete, and more rare still, running?

It's really neat to see
John

Got some good Cub time in the garage today. Before starting I did a tool organization project to organize all my loose sockets. After that I finished reassembling the K301 for my 129, before putting everything away and propping up my feet to watch the Ravens play down to their competition again.

Bruce "I did a tool organization project"
That in itself was a good day's work!
happy.gif

I got tired of spending more time rummaging through the disorganization than actually wrenching. I got all my sockets sorted by size on rails by metric and standard, shallow and deepwell. I sorted them into separate drawers by the drive size, placing the appropriate sized ratchets and extensions with the socket rails.

The challenge now it to keep them organized!!

Am thinking I have lost the governor on the 7-hp in my CCO. Very little throttle control, nearly full or nothing.Any ideas??

My weekend consisted of installing snow blades, weights and chains on the family of Cubs. Also, I ran into a "scrapyard bound" owner of a 126 with rear pto and awsome shape 48 inch deck. It was going to get cut up tomorrow until I took it off his hands for 75 bucks. It will be welcomed by its relatives at home
happy.gif

Jerry-
Is it just that you have no control over the throttle, or does it "run away" at much too high of an RPM?

If the govenor is truly "gone", it will try to run itself up over 5,000RPM and self destruct.

If you "just" have little or no control over the speed of the engine, but it does not "run away", then the gov is fine, and you've got a throttle control issue.

Ryan, nice save!
happy.gif

I spent Saturday getting my shed slightly organized so I could get the Windbreaker cab out and installed on the #2 125. Once I had the cab on I mounted up the QA42 then I installed the chains. It's now ready for snow. Today after church I went to the family farm and used my mom's <font color="119911">off topic GT</font>, a JD X585, to mulch up the leaves then removed the deck, then blew all the leaf dust out of it and the mower deck, removed the mower deck then mounted up the snow blower. So now it's ready for snow.

Is it hard to mount a 36 in snow thrower on a 100 also are the 70/100 s considered better than the originals in design/quality. Know that I'm opening up a major debate with that question

Thanks for the link to QA42A manual. That was quite a help. I will try to post some pics to see if anyone can tell me why I only get about 2 inches of lift. Other than that I am ready for some snow!

Brian,

Any chance you have the wrong lift rod?
1a_scratchhead.gif
I tried to use one from a front blade on my QA36A snowthrower and it was not the right length. I need to make a lift rod for the snowthrower. I plan to raise the tractor up on 2x lumber, set the snowthrower on the floor, and make the lift rod to fit. That way the snowthrower will drop 1.5" below horizontal and I should have the full lift range from there.

PS - I see you live nearby.

AIDEN - I think most people here would agree that the 70/100 are a definite improvement from the original Cub Cadet. The CC had a band-type brake operating only on the left rear wheel, while the 70/100 had an internal wet disc brake operating on both rear wheels thru the differential. The 70/100 had a full length formed steel frame while the original had a formed steel frame for about half the tractor's length bolted to the cast iron rearend. The 70/100 had a dry type 4-1/2 inch clutch followed by an all steel drive train while the original had a belt between the engine & clutch. The 70/100 had a dry-type pleated paper air filter instead of the messy oil bath air filter on the original. The attachment mountig system IH used on the 70/100 was better than the original and when they put the quick-tach design on the 72/1X4/1X5 they had the best attachment mounting system in the industry.

The fact that the basic design of Cub Cadets didn't change much after the 70/100's and that so many parts interchange on those models built after the 70/100 shows that the design was sound. I can only think of ONE other brand of lawn & garden tractor that had an all steel drive train like a GD Cub Cadet, the Economy PowerKing, and I bet most people here have never even seen one of those. Every other brand I've ever seen used a V-belt somewhere in the drivetrain design. And the Sundstrand hydro design starting with the #123 was probably the most reliable drive train ever put on any garden tractor, as well as the most versatile. The change in chassis design starting with the 86/1X8/1X9 for using bigger single cylinder & 2-cylinder engines just made the design that much better.

Latest posts

Back