• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New Kid on the Block

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Strong

Hi, all,

Just found this forum.

I'm from Ontario, Canada, and have a Cub Cadet 105 (1969, according to the serial number) that I saw on the back of a truck headed for the scrap yard in 2008. I stopped the truck and wrangled my way to ownership of the tractor. When I got it home, I discovered that the intake valve was frozen open from sitting; WD40 and wiggling with Vise-Grips solved that problem in about 20 minutes, and after replacing the rear axle seals I have been using this tractor as my yard hauler ever since.

This spring I gave the tractor new rear tires, and about two weeks ago I found a good QA42 snowblower near home for cheap and am now working on fitting it to the tractor (not easy; things are not lining up well).

I hope that this forum will provide needed maintenance and operation information.

Attachments

• Cub Cadet 105.jpg
    Cub Cadet 105.jpg
    906 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Bob, WELCOME! The 105 and 125 are my favorite models. I grew up with a 125 that my parents bought new in 1969. I still have it but it's in pieces waiting to be refurbished.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind welcome.

While fiddling with the snowblower, I discovered that the quick hitch bar needs springs to hold it up. I have some springy stainless wire, so I decided to make a rough approximation of the springs following a photo I saw. After I made them, I couldn't figure out how to install them, so after much frustration I threw them away and used a long coil spring from an old chest-expander exercise thing to hold it up. It works, but it's hardly elegant.

Of course, after the garbage bag with the springs in it went to the dump, I found Digger's picture showing how the springs should be installed. Guess I'll try to make some more.

Oh. Attached are pictures of my el cheapo QA42 as found. Still haven't attached it because the gearbox kept hitting the hitch bar, but yesterday I think I learned from this forum how to cure that problem. Good thing winter's not here yet!

Attachments

• IMG_20230920_190114.jpg
    IMG_20230920_190114.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230920_190038.jpg
    IMG_20230920_190038.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0
Nice! Where did you find the picture explaining the springs on the quick attach bar? I was not able to find an image or explanation so mines (1250) been held up by some wraps of safety wire since I acquired it 5 years ago. Sadly the only “attachment” I have is the mower deck, so it’s not really pertinent I guess but someday I hope to find a plow blade or snowblower. Not a lot of cubs up here in Vermont sadly.

Here's what Digger posted. No explanation given, but maybe none is required. The placement of the springs is far different from anything I tried, so I 'm hopeful.

Attachments

• Cub Cadet hitch spring installation.png
    Cub Cadet hitch spring installation.png
    218.9 KB · Views: 0
Just an update here. Haven't tried to make springs again yet because I have been almost overwhelmed getting ready for winter, but I have managed to install the snowblower I found. I had to make a lift plate (or whatever it's called) for the inboard end of the lift rod I made, and it fits but it's too thin and it got twisted when I lifted the blower, but I can fix that. In the meantime, it's in place with hardly any struggle and all I have to do now is put on the belt and see how it goes.

On another front, I have now found a blade for the tractor and hope to pick it up tomorrow. It seems that when you start with this it's like eating peanuts....

Attachments

• Snowblower Installed (3).jpg
    Snowblower Installed (3).jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Cub Cadet Plow (1).jpg
    Cub Cadet Plow (1).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
  • Cub Cadet Plow (2).jpg
    Cub Cadet Plow (2).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
And now I have a blade.

Very light compared to the snowblower, and I just used it to grade a bit around my mailbox.

Love to play in the dirt, and for now I plan to use it for snow this winter instead of the snowblower, as the blower needs the right belt, and I don't have the inclination to fiddle with it just now. Besides, now that I know what I'm doing I can just slide the blower back on if I change my mind.

IMG_20231027_143921.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231027_143837.jpg
    IMG_20231027_143837.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231027_142424636.jpg
    IMG_20231027_142424636.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231027_142436042.jpg
    IMG_20231027_142436042.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 0
And now I have a blade.

Very light compared to the snowblower, and I just used it to grade a bit around my mailbox.

Love to play in the dirt, and for now I plan to use it for snow this winter instead of the snowblower, as the blower needs the right belt, and I don't have the inclination to fiddle with it just now. Besides, now that I know what I'm doing I can just slide the blower back on if I change my mind.

View attachment 155649
Gonna need some weight on the back Bob

Hi, all,

Just found this forum.

I'm from Ontario, Canada, and have a Cub Cadet 105 (1969, according to the serial number) that I saw on the back of a truck headed for the scrap yard in 2008. I stopped the truck and wrangled my way to ownership of the tractor. When I got it home, I discovered that the intake valve was frozen open from sitting; WD40 and wiggling with Vise-Grips solved that problem in about 20 minutes, and after replacing the rear axle seals I have been using this tractor as my yard hauler ever since.

This spring I gave the tractor new rear tires, and about two weeks ago I found a good QA42 snowblower near home for cheap and am now working on fitting it to the tractor (not easy; things are not lining up well).

I hope that this forum will provide needed maintenance and operation information.
This may help. www.ccmanuals.infopdfQA 36A & 42A Snowthrower Operators

Latest posts

Back