• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through November 09, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
Jim,

Now you know I know better than calling out a 430...that's just a different class of machine...and impressive too.

But......there aren't too many Cubs and 140/317's who I can't hang with...
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hey Jim D.
I dunno about that!
biggrin.gif

I'll just have to bring a bigger chain for you.
44130.jpg

I think it says Cub Cadet on there somewhere, snicker

Surely somebody with a 2072, or similar can stomp a mud hole in that green thing....

Charlie,

I was waiting for that pic to show up
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
....knew where you were headed.....

Wild Bill,

You may find a SGT to run with Jim, but it had better be set up and tuned well.....because Jim's will be.....

BTW, In my experience, gardens and bean fields are apples and oranges. Gardens tend to plow considerably easier than bean fields in my experience.....OR, they pull the same, but you can plow deeper and cleaner in a garden than you can in a bean field. Compaction from the combine, straw, and stubble add to the equation in bean fields in my experience.

Joe D.
We ain't forgot ya buddy.
I'm sure someone will answer your question tomorrow after we get done hammerin one another here about the fact that Hydros are better than gears drives.
beerchug.gif

44135.jpg

If'n I had me a trailer big enough to haul this to plowday, I'd like to see how well it would do in bean stubble.

44138.jpg

But for now this is how it is set up awaiteing for the first snow storm to show up.
Weather guesser are saying 1-3 inches by tomorrow afternoon.

Can't forget this one either.
44141.jpg

I'll use it when we don't get enough to fire up the big one.

Steve: He has to realize when he comes on here braggin' up a Deere that he is gonna catch some crap...That's like going on a Chevy truck site and bragging up your Ford...you are going to catch hell!

True a farm field is different from a garden, but we are using -Garden Tractors-, correct? Using them at a plow day is already asking them to do something they were not really designed to do...

I admit that I have not traveled the country plowing in farm fields, but I did make the mistake of going to PA for a PD one time. Ended up the farmer didn't get his corn off so we had to plow an old hay field...might as well been concrete. Add to that the unbelieveable amount of rocks, and hunks of shale the size of a Cub Cadets hood, and it sure wasn't 'ideal' plowing.

I was still working out the kinks in that 1450, and me and a guy with a 982 had the only 12" plows being pulled by Cub Cadets. There was a Deere 400 there and it had a 12"... Most guys there were having trouble getting the plows to penetrate the conctete like sod..they had their plows aimed severely 'point down', and they looked like sewing machines..jabbing in and out of the ground. Guys with 782s and 10" plows were getting stuck and backing up and hammering forward to try to keep going. The 982 with the 12" plow broke an axle, and had to towed out of the field. The Deere 400 kept jumping furrows, and seemed to struggle quite a bit.

I'm proud to say my 1450 didn't have much problem. The guy that owned the Deere 400 even tried to stall me out on one pass across the field. I was behind his tractor, and was having to come to a complete stop (and had to behind SEVERAL other tractors that day), and wait as he and the guy driving it at that time tried to get it's front end squared back around after it repeatedly jumped furrows. They got it situated, and we took off...went a little ways and the 1450 groaned and slowed down, I shoved the hydro speed handle forward and felt the seat lean back and kept plowing along...the guy hollered 'easy'. He had jumped on my plow and was 'riding/standing' it. I had been plowing at 6" deep, but was plowing at least 8" deep then. I pulled him the rest of the way across the field. He later told me that I was making his 400 look bad, and he was trying to stall me out.

You are correct, having the plow set up correctly is important. I believe somebody with a machine that is actually comparable with a 430 in weight and HP should have no problem keeping up with a green thing, or any other color for that matter.

Look what I woke up to. I took a couple of pictures cause it will probably be gone tonite.
44145.jpg

44146.jpg

Charlie,

You're cheatin with that sub compact utility 4x4.

I'm talking garden tractors here! LOL

Else I'll have to up the pot with this one,
44149.jpg

Charlie, Terry, Art, I posted that from home last night. I'm still at home as I took the day off, I'll get the windbreaker cab and tire chains mounted up later today. The reason I decided to get motivated last night was that I didn't want to spend much of my time today working on it. I want to clean the chimney today and I have a 4 wheeler to load up so I can go to the cabin later today after my daughter gets home from school. I have to get my tree stand up as next weekend is the Wisconsin deer hunting opener. I have some work to get done at the family cabin too, last weekend I put tile down in the bunkroom entryway and I need to get that grouted. My father is in the hospital as he just had surgery on his carotid artery so I'll have to spend some time doing some work around my parent's place next week so I figured I better get going on the Cub's winter prep. All we have gotten for snow so far is a light dusting, nothing like what Terry got but I'll be ready.

Wild Bill,
"He has to realize when he comes on here braggin' up a Deere that he is gonna catch some crap..."

You are right, that's why I'm here! I see lots of braggin on here and my tractors are gettin restless and wanna play. Hope to run into you at a plow day some day!

Hey Steve,
That 420, is just as mean as a 430! And both are in the same class as the Supers!
beerchug.gif

Did we suddenly transform into WFM overnight? When did we lose control, Charlie?
lol.gif

CHARLIE - That little 1066 won't even have to drop into low range to bury that 2755....
lol.gif
If We could get the Dieterich's to come to a PD again their tractors would make a good showing for the Yeller & White. Son & I watched the pulling at Steve B's PD 4-5 yrs ago.... the MUD bowl....and it was amazing how much stronger their tractors were even compared to a BIG HP Hydro's of similar weight. Weight & Balance make a HUGE difference getting HP to the ground.... I was REALLY disappointed in My 982 that day... I couldn't get ANY weight to transfer off the frt end. I didn't run any frt weight on the 72 at all and it seemed able to pull as hard as the 982.... until the 14 yr old driveshaft roll pin gave up.
In the 982's defense, I plowed a bit at home one afternoon that same fall in good conditions....and when I went to raise the plow at the headland I could pull the frt wheels 15"-18" off the ground but I really had to watch how I let them down. Sure wish I had time to develop a DRAFT CONTROL for the Cat. 0 3-point.

Latest posts

Back