Archive through March 04, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did IH make a 50" deck for the garden tractors or was 48" the largest for the narrow frames?

They're not picking on you, Peter, just trying to help. The way the weather's been this winter you might need a front blade in Florida! I'm looking hard at your rear tires - is that a R1 tread in 8.50 - 12? Fronts look like 4.00 - 8 tri's, not 4.00-4.80. Did you buy the 123 set up like it is, or have you "built it" to where it is. Does it have a rear lift? You can post pics. More???
Now I have to go deal with my profile signiture which should include "a 149 may be more practical, but there's just something about a 123"

First it was learning to post pics, (I became dangerous) now I've learned how to copy and paste (more dangerous). Now I can go delete my last post in the Wanting section and see if Peter finds it here.
smile.gif

What I'm wondering is.
Does Frank answer when he talks to himself?
Or does he ignore himself, like his wife does?
biggrin.gif

BRIAN N. - History of IH mower desks is pretty simple. First CC's, the '61 to '63's known here as "Originals" used a two blade 38" deck that had it's own belt tensioner to control engagement. The blades were "Timed" so they could over-lap without hitting each other with a toothed timing belt. Art posted a pic of a nice CC 70 with this deck on the last page of this forum.

Next series of mowers were the 38" & 42" 3-bladed cast iron end decks. Similar but lighter were the 38" & 42" but with steel ends used on tractors around 1967/68. They were totally interchangable with the CI end decks. Some parts even interchanged, but mostly blades & spindle components.

48" decks were available in three different styles. First was the "Pin on" version used on the 102/122/123's, then two others that I believe fit the quick-attach mule drive on the 72/1X4/1X5 tractors. Those decks were used even on early WF tractors, 1X8/1X9's. Not sure when the break between these two styles of 48" decks took place. Actually 48" decks of any kind while not considered "Rare" are not really common either, compared to the 38 & 42" decks.

During the 1X8/1X9 series IH released a new deep drawn deck design in 44 & 50 in widths. For low HP tractors the 38" 3-blade deck was still available. The 44 & 50 in decks are lighter weight, thinner steel, and the spindle bearings are not "Servicable", they're greasable, but the whole bearing & shaft have to be replaced while the older decks have Timken tapered bearings, spacers, & grease seals like old-time cars & trucks had, much cheaper & easier to replace. These style decks were used all the way into the MTD produced tractors.

Mule drive designs also changed from the early decks to the 44 & 50 inch decks. I tried putting a 44" deck on my 72 years ago but no amount of parts swapping from the parts I had on hand would make it fit.

There's also a 60" wide deck, made by HABAN that has caster wheels at all four corners that was available on the Super Graden tractors like the 982, 1872/2072/1572, etc.

Dennis Frisk
good morning
coffee.gif
. I have a 44" deck here and I read your comments about the deck (The 44 & 50 in decks are lighter weight, thinner steel, and the spindle bearings are not "Servicable"). That coment make me think I would be farther ahead to use a 42" deck so bearing can be replace. I have a 42" that was on a 125 here that might be the right deck for my Diesel. Thanks for helping me make up my mind on the decks.
1a_scratchhead.gif
now I wonder if it will fit
stupid.gif

Dennis -
Thank you for the reply and the information. I am putting a deck on my 100 from a 126 and was wondering about the deck options. I don't think I could have gotten a better answer.

Don-

I wouldn't do that. The newer replacement spindles went back to tapered roller bearings. The 44" deck is a much better deck than the 42".

DON T. - I think I'm going to agree with MATT here. Since You have the 44" deck already, if You have the correct mule drive I'd go that way. The only other deck I would consider would be the 50" deck. They're a nice sized deck for an SGT since an SGT is 43" wide overall.

I'd have to check the parts look-up but last I knew the waterpump bearing insert was $80-90 US, I knew there was an alternate replacement bearing but haven't researched it yet, but I need to replace at least two on my 50" deck before I start mowing this spring and I'll know all about them by then!

The 44" & 50" decks do have problems with the rear gauge wheel brackets causing cracks next to the welds, and during hard usage the whole housing can distort causing uneven mowing. But it's been my experience the blades on the 44" & 50" decks last longer, and all three are the same length, and Gator blades are available for both the 44 & 50 in. decks.

Richard C. has reinforced his 44" & 50" decks and as always, supplied the forum with MANY pic's with details. MTD also improved the decks in a similar manner.

The only complaint I have with my 50C deck on the 982 is that with the deflecter on the discharge chute it's too wide (over 60")to fit in several places in my yard. I cut the deflector off my 44A deck on the 129 I had so it would fit between the wheel wells in my pickup box for hauling. Maybe not the safest thing, but I normally keep my feet & hands where they belong, away from moving objects. And after that it fit EVERYWHERE, mowed smooth, and I don't ever remember replacing the blades in the 15-16 yrs I owned that mower. Not sure if they were hard coated, pretty sure they weren't, but even hitting the occasional rock the blades only needed resharpening 2-3 times/year being my primary mowing tractor on two acres. Wish I had that deck back, but don't miss the 129 all that much, Not a bad tractor, I just had a WHOLE lot of money in it and it needed some more spent on it and I got a good price for it and needed the room for Dad's '51 M in the shop.

I want to put a wider deck under my 72, and a 44" would be my first choice. Just not sure when that will happen.

LOOOOOK what im getting..... its all mine as soon as the snow melts!
186393.jpg

186394.jpg

its got a very rusty plow with it, and i think i saw a mule drive on the front, but just judging from how burried it is i think any deck under there is long gone....

Latest posts

Back