• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 28, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonnie B - yes I think you're right that test eliminated the key switch. Guess I'd try a known good coil 1st, and then go to the condensor and points. Dave R seems to have the best advice.

By the way, anyone know what happened to ole KenTUCK???? He can't still be fishin!!!!

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (but some get hard to start in the summer).

While I have the breather apart for cleaning on a k301 I was going to flip the reed baffle over anybody have an opinoin about it.
Its not bent or worn with grooves.

Scott, if you don't mind doing a little reading, this might help. It discusses both of the requlators you've been working with. Hope it helps.

Thanks to all for the long "setting the points" class! Have never had the 149 start so easy. Second tdc of piston and it is running! Very nice. Will be nice to NOT push mow the yard!

Gerry,
Removed carb and breather cover to access valves.
Rechecked valves .009" intake/.018" exhaust.
Lifters are free. I rotated both several times no binding.
I then gently grasp the valve keeper washer with pliers and could also rotate the spring, valve, and keeper washer as a unit.
I know I was rotating the valve because I could see the discoloration on the valve stems rotating as I rotated the keeper washer.
Lifters and valve stems appear well oiled.

All; Ive been following Jimmy L problem and I don't know enough to make suggestions but I wondered that if somehow the hydro is building pressure and stalling it.

I have no idea if this is possble but it was a thought

Jimmy L - I went back and copied your 1st post on this problem as follows:
"This is my first post. I have been trying to solve a problem with my 1250 with a K301 12 hp. Kohler. It will run at 3/4 to full throttle for approx. 1 to 2 minutes and dies. I have cleaned the gas tank, }replaced fuel line, checked shut off valve, changed points, plug, condensor, set valves(.008" intake .018" exhaust), rebuilt carb., checked vacuum on on crackcase (7" vac), checked compression (90 psi understanding it has an ACR),decarbed head, ran clear fuel line to verify fuel flow, clamped fuel line as soon as engine dies open fuel bowl to verify gas level and still the problem persist. I should note it runs fine at idle or 1/2 throttle and never dies. I've checked fire with my timing light. Even as the engine dies it has fire. I can restart the engine as soon as it dies. Any help would be appreciated."

Is this still the situation??? Does your engine run fine at idle to 1/2 throttle???? I'm not sure I have any more answers but think we need to start at the beginning again, and then get input from the guys on here. This is proving to be a real stumper.

Jerry B - how many times have you been to points setting school?? It ain't the points, it's the timing
draw.gif

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (but begin to have failures at the half century age)

Jimmy L, I would also try a new plug, i had a 4 pack that drove me crazy must have dropped off the shelf haven't had a problem since. I actully think when it shut down there was a small backfire that loosened the center ceramics and would run until it got hot a quit. I have(super) Dave Kamp to thank for getting me through that

I have not been on for a bit but cubs still run on the west coast and even in the land of no cubs they can multiply. we're up to six now and I had the scout 80 out for a bath this week so we had our own IH show here, no one else came but it was sure fun.
194731.jpg

Harry (old cubs never die, but sonetimes they become doners so others may continue to live/work/show).
I have news from a reliable source that wants to maintain anonimity that KENtuckyKEN is alive and well and in the Gulf of Mexico scooping up water for his next invention - a Cub that runs on water.
smile.gif

Gentlemen, you to Digger! LOL
I am restoring an Original and cant find rattle can paint for 901 white or 483 yellow at Napa,etc! I read the FAQs. What is a good replacement at a modest price???? And where do you get it? TSC has a Valspar tractor paint but it's beige?????
Thanks
Thank you

Latest posts

Back