• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through March 04, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RANDY - BINDER BOOKS is the place for ALL IHC manuals.

Just above all these posts there's a bunch of colorful boxes, BB's is the one in the top row with the green IH pickup loading a CC up some ramps.

Brian, makes sense now. I had the idea you were getting ready to swap the whole drivetrain from the 126 to the 100. I was trying to figure out why you didn't just use the 126.

I have mixed feelings about the external brakes. Theoretically, they should keep you from sliding down a hill with one wheel spinning backwards. My primary (and favorite) garden tractor has been a 126 for several years now. I'm always having trouble with the brakes not working very well because they get a lot of grass packed in them and lose they're holding power. Instead of sliding down steep hills, I roll because I can't lock the brakes. I don't have much experience with the internal brake on a manual transmission for comparison. I don't recall my 1282 ever sliding downhill with one wheel spinning backwards, though.

Jerry

JERRY - My 129 had and my 982 has disc brakes. I never had much problem with them slipping due to grass accumulating on the calipers, at least that's what I thought. But the 129 had been over thousands of acres of grass and even with new rear axle seals the discs would get damp with Hy-tran, which killed there stopping power.

The individual brakes on the 982 will lock the inside wheel on sharp turns.

The internal brake rearends do seem to stop O-K but the braking thru the differential does seem to reduce braking ability on downhill slopes. Like DON said, weights & good tires help.... a lot!

Jerry:
Just another reason to run a hydro... brakes last forever....\clipart {whistling}(my 129's never had the pads replaced...they're still like new)- I did have to replace the axle seals and clean the Hytran off the pads once.

Kendell
I only own 1x9's and my brake pads show significant wear. I don't see any means to pull the pads away from the calipers so I'm guessing they can drag? They need a spring to hold them away.

Jerry, what's this spring in there for?
1a_scratchhead.gif

186368.jpg

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"
That spring job is to move the pads apart so there is less drag on the rotors.
clappy.gif
worthy.gif

Don, my question to Jerry was a rhetorical one...

Kraig
"Johnny on the spot." I have the Ausco type brake setup as shown in the TC-157 manual. There are no springs shown by the manual and I've yet to find one on any of my cubs. Not really a factor except for parking on a hill. BTDT

Jerry-

That spring shown by craig is over a bushing that apparently is quickly effected by rust and debris thus not allowing the proper slide to separate the pads. Also be careful the bracket assembly (#8 in pic) is mounted parallel to the disc. I just removed some brakes that were worn diagonally because the assembly was just a bit off. I would put a film of grease on the bolts and bushings as well as where the cam action occurs to apply pressure.

I just thought I'd put my .02 in mainly because of that diagonal thing. I've never come across this before.

Good luck!

well it just keeps getting better guys. today i went out and started getting the cub ready to set all the linkages and i think i have a double problem. i could not even get it to turn over with a new battery and a booster on it. check all the cables and stuff and i think the starter is junk and that is why it is so hard to start plus the hydro needs adjusted. but i can reach and turn the drive shaft and it is no problem. i ran a jumper cable from the battery to the starter to bypass everything and it will barley turn it over. so i think the starter is pulling way to many amps. what do you think? i need to get it running before i can adjust the hydro.

Charlie, nice! Dan H. comes through again with works of art. Have you ever been there when Dan makes one of those? Very interesting process. Dan makes it look like child's play.

186372.jpg

186373.jpg

186374.jpg

186375.jpg

Charlie "Digger" Proctor
Now if I was in a betting mode I would say thats some of Aarons work. First rate i`am sure. My hitch ain`t that nice but works.

186378.jpg

That's quite a hitch kit!! (How many hits has CCSpecialties had in the last couple hours?)!! Not a bad price, either, for something that will last forever. Too bad Kraig's pics make it look so easy!
thumbsup_old.gif

Don, you could be correct. BOTH Dan and Aaron make great stuff.
thumbsup.gif

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"

I do remeber seen that shop somewhere on here a wile back.Looked to me a nice place to visit lol.
Charlie has a good price .I made mine off a picture at the local black smith shop and paid well to have tempered joints. But a lession I have learned. to agressive and something will break for sure Who say that so well is it Attay

know when to shut up"

KRAIG - It takes all the fun & beer drinking time out of making "Stuff" when You have all the correct tools, jigs, & fixtures!
beerchug.gif

When You look through the second picture, behind the press, the first one with the hitch in the bending dies, the machine tools, lathes, surface grinders, mills, Bridgeports, BIG bandsaw. No wonder all Dan's stuff looks "Factory Made", because it is!

Latest posts

Back