• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 19, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe M:

Problems can occur if:
(A) If you don't run the motor at full throttle
(B) If you have dull blades
(C) The spindle bearings are dry or going bad
(D) The belt tensioner pulley is dry or has bad bearings
(E) The pivot to the belt tensioner is dry and won't self adjust
(F) The Deck belt is worn
(G) The PTO belt is worn
(H) The Mule Drive pulley's are dry or going bad.
(I) The PTO clutch is slipping

You may want to check these items to see if there is a problem.

Joe M,
I was just having the same problem with my 147 and 48" deck. I rebuilt the PTO with new springs and fiber disk and it still slipped. I ended up having to buy 2 rebuild kits so I could install 2 PTO springs (Item #14). Now its solid and works great. Your PTO might just need to be rebuilt. Two springs should only be the last resort.
28752.gif

The wife decided that I needed more to do with a Cub & trailer, soooooooo, for the second time this year!!!!!!!
28754.jpg

Peter S.
I have a 122 recently it started making a wierd clanking noise and I found out the end cap on the muffler was loose it ended up blowing off and had to get a new muffler

The 106 was forced into grass cutting service last night after the <font size="-2">murray</font> I was using while fixing the Cub went flop, flop, bang. What a step up. Like going from a Chevette with flat tires to a Corvette with rack & pinion steering.

I had a little trouble getting the deck onto the lift frame. I know that I need to replace some washers and cotter pins on the frame but I don't have a good diagram with part numbers. The first thing that I notice is the short section on either side about 3 inches long with a slot and a hole. One of these pieces looks to be just about worn through on the lower side of the slot due to rust. I think I should just replace both. Could someone post a decent diagram of a 106 lift frame with some part numbers?

I also have some noise at the clutch release lever. It looks like the bracket that holds the top of the lever steady has badly worn holes. Is it easy to find this part or can I fix the holes so they are round again with a bushing or something?

Let me say hello to everyone,

My name is DAve and I just bought a Model 100. It has the hyd lift and three point attachment, no lights, no fenders.

I went looking for a new tractor when my LT1000 from Sears ended up with the front axle on the ground. Seems the wizards who designed it attached the front rods of the deck to the axle. Nicely done too, a long 8 in lever pulling on a two piece stamped bracket with factory stress tears in the bend. So every time the deck hits anything, mole hole, bump in the yard, it gives the front axle bracket a "tug". Took about 18 months to tear it into three peices. That was the last straw. I found the Model 100 at a corner sale. Starts, runs and drives. Built better than anything we saw at the tractor stores too. Paid $450 for it and he delivered.

I had to replace most of the hardware on the deck as many of the 1/4 20 bolts were nearly worn out or broken off. Cleaned and repacked the bearings for the blades, new belts, new grease. Should be putting it back on and adjusting it this afternoon. The rest of the tractor looks to be in good shape. Of course I have a few questions ;^)

First, I found new fluid at tractor supply, says it is a replacement for Hy-Trans. It's made by Mystic, good stuff or keep looking? (I read through all the FAQ including how to change the fluid, it's on my to-do list).

Second, the sleeve hitch adapter. Where would a fella shop for attachments for these? I've seen some used stuff but not new.

Third, please tell me I bought a good tractor this time. I have five acres, semi wooded, rough ground. We keep the sticks picked up, I've removed all the old buried t-bar, everyone knows where the exposed roots are located. So we aren't abusing the equipment, just working it hard. We have a large garden and cut a lot of wood. I need a solid , dependable tractor. I think I have it now.

Thanks,

DAve

Thanks Digger!

Does that fork at the end of part #7 fit onto the rock shaft or sit on top of it?

Charlie
From the looks of that trailer it looks like you're really getting your $#!+ together.

I just couldn't help it.
devil2.gif

I can see I've some rearranging to do. Best take it off and get it put on correctly. Thanks again Digger. I'm starting to feel like I actually know stuff.

DAve

Welcome to the board. I personally have a 1250, never had a 100 but I know its a great little tractor.

For attachments keep an eye out on the online auction sites, that’s probably your best bet there. Some guys on here might have some for sale from time to time though.

As for the hytran, I just bought the stuff directly from Cub Cadet. It was a little more, but at least I know its the right stuff.

Good luck with that 100. Don't let these guys infect you with the "Yellow" Fever, I ended up buying a second tractor already, and I've only been on this forum for a few months.

Chuck

Hi Dave G.,

Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you got a very fair deal on your 100, especially if equipped with hydraulics.

Your IH Cub is a true garden tractor versus the LT1000, which is a riding lawn mower designed to look like a tractor. With proper care and maintenance, the Cub will never need replacing. Now you just have to add more to the collection!

Use HyTran in the transmission (my recommendation).

You bought a fine tractor!

i have a 100 that i'm in the process of restoring, goes pretty slow without proper funds. this thing sat outside for about 10 years in NE Ohio and the only thing wrong with it the steering is locked up! solid little tractor, great buy
happy.gif

Dave G:

Welcome to the Forum. That Cub 100 is a Great Tractor. I have 4 of them, including a 100 also. I wouldn't even considered any of that new stuff out there. Take care of your 100 and it can last another 40 years - LOL

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

My name is DAve and I just bought a Model 100. <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Geez, we're starting to sound like an AA meeting!
happy.gif

just wondering if there has been any decision on a fall plow day yet ...been kinda out of the loop for the last month or so thnx Rob

well, i just started inspecting my new 128. i wanted to get a look at the wiring for the ignition and
eek.gif
i have never seen such a mess of disconnected wires and duct-tape in my life, how this thing ever started i'll never know. does anyone have wiring diagram for a 128?

Thanks all for the info.

I discovered the deck had been repaired a long time ago and the right side rear mount has been converted from carriage bolts to studs. Big patch welded inside the deck under the mount, nice job though. One stud is broken so I had to drill out and file a square hole for a new carriage bolt. The left side is cracked as well, but small. I am really wishing I had the 60amp service to the garage now. Bad time to be without a welder.

Looking at how to level the deck, got to be a better way than washers but that is how the previous owner (I am the second owner!) had done it. Looked through the manual recommendations, got to get them ordered. I want to go completely through the tractor this winter. Looking at a model 128 now..........

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Geez, we're starting to sound like an AA meeting!<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Rick, I almost wrote "I have been Craftsman free for 48 hours". Probably should have ;^)

DAve

David K,

Well my local Cub and IH dealer is the local Tractor Supply, so I may call around and see who else might have some Hy-Trans. Need to check the COOP. After spending two days going through this tractor I think I have found a friend. I am looking at a 128 now to replace the other old riding mower, we need two.

I agree about the LT1000. Looking at the tractors in the stores I think the LT was made for the 8th acre housing development owner, who wants to have "the only twin on the block". It certainly isn't up to the task of 5 acres every week. Not too impressed with anything we saw under $8k.

I think this little tractor will fill the bill nicely, and fits between the trees better than a 8n (which I almost bought).

DAve

Back