• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 18, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the input the other day when i was going to look at the 129 and 169. the guy really new less than me (now thats funny) the 129 didn't run but had a white box on the back with a pulley on bottom and one on side no hyd lift. the 169 I jumped and it has a great motor and hydro but no hyd lift.no rust anywhere a snow blade and working i think 48" deck just needs paint freshened and a new seat. I gave him $50. for the 169 and hauled it home I'm addicted......... now can i take the hydraulic hoses and the rest off the 149 and put on the 169??? since this is a much better running and the hydro works better cc

Lanny, you should have given him another $50 for the other one too. You could have made money parting it out! Bet that pully on the back was part of a tiller drive!
Ya know you stole that from him for that price. <font size="-2">(Think you should at least take him a 6-pack as a thankyou)</font>
whistling.gif

he decided he was going to keep the 129 after i bought the 169 and I offered him 50 for it too I will part out the 149 after I find what will fit on the 169 from it i want to put the hyd lift on the 169 but I don't know if I have to do anything to the hyd other than take the plugs out and hook up the hoses I will try to take pic of it this evening

Charlie: And can be wewy, wewy expensive to the untrained eye. Besides being pretty, those caps will keep water out of these puppies steering boxes.
happy.gif

Ken, thank you for warning me you flip ur drawers weekly. I wuz thinking maybe a 12hr and 746 mile ride to visit you. But now I'm gonna vacation locally. Have a Safe&Sane Fourth!
war.gif

Allen - Catch me at the end of the second week ... that's when I go rough rider soez da ol lady can wash ...
shhh.gif

Jeff - Duck Tape is cheaper
biggrin.gif

Charlie - The first one would make a good spinner
whistling.gif

Happy Pappy day 'morrow fellers

Lanny - great STEAL on the 169. Everything from the 149 transfers over. Hey, count the cooling fins on that K341 block to see if there are 12 or 13. I believe it should be the rare 13 fin which has more meat on the cylinder than the 12. (Kohler changed the casting slightly and went to 12 cooling fins, but all the other Kohler parts are the same).

Barry - I lean towards reusing the crank bearings unless they are bad, which is hardly ever. Some guys can even check them with a microscope to see. Also, I only had to hone my K341 and used a Kohler .003 over piston, worked perfect. Far as I know Stens and others don't do a .003. I would stick with a Kohler rod, hardly that much difference in price. You might want to even consider using the rod from the 18hp which apparently fits and is better - but you'll have to check with others on here for those details. Lastly, I put my balance gears back in - in my view Kohler put them there for a reason. I wisk Dave Kirk (sponsor Kirk's Engines) would have had his balance piece available at the time I did my rebuild. That's the only way I would have left out my Kohler balance gears. Check his site for the technical info on what his does and how it works.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (but their Kohlers do get wobbly and shake)

Harry I ran out of fingers and had to use toes but it seems to have 13 and thank you for info on changeover was trying to load picture of 169 but pic was 370 kb and it would not let me

On the topic of bearings...., not that I'm comparing the two,but..Rolls-Royce recommends inspecting clean bearings with a 2X magnifier,and that's on a turbine engine operating at 56,000 RPM.
All used bearings will show some wear marks;the point being don't look at 'em too hard or you'll replace all of them.
A better indicator for bearing wear is to check internal clearances. A simple jig can be fabricated easily,however a dial indicator is needed along with the manufacturers wear limits.
Just my two-cents...
Bobby B.

Bobby - My inspection is: if they feel rough when I roll'em toss'em. If I see pits or flats toss'em. If the bearings look like they are about to slip through the cage toss'em.
I think I need to toss my boat trailer bearings ... come to think of it ! but Advance couldn't cross the China! number ... DUH !!

Ken
I stopped at the local Auto Zone today and at the counter they had "Duct Tape in a can"
clappy.gif

Looking for some help here... I just bought a 42" plow and subframe for my 124. The fellow who sold it to me said he had it on a narrow frame... but the bracket that attaches it to the frame doesn't seem quite right - the bolts are preventing it from lining up with the holes in the frame. Here are some pics... do I need different brackets? From what I can make out in the pictures in the manual, it looks like I should have a one piece bracket... or should I remove the bolts and just weld it together?

Thanks,
Kenny
192540.jpg

192541.jpg

Did anybody notice last year that HD was selling small rolls of duct tape that were about 10" wide? Dont see it any more...you know how hard it can be to unroll...can you imagine a 10" wide piece! ? ?
Would take 2 strong people, one to hold the roll and the other to unspool.

I spent most of the day at the Johnson County (Indiana) Antique Machinery Show.

Anyone else go?

This was the first year that they publisized antique garden & lawn tractors. I thought it was a pretty good showing. Not nearly enough CC's. I saw some nice stuff though. To the guy that told the story about the 70 (?) sliding off the trailer at 45mph. You said you read this site, I was pretty excited about all the garden tractors so I forgot to tell you, NICE CC's!!

Got a good deal on a 123. I'll send photo's later.

Gotta love those hit & miss engines! I was going to go back tomarrow until I discovered I have a bearing (something) grinding away on my front left wheel. Hope its not to bad. I have changed any on a 4x4. I guess I'll find out tomarrow!

If my bearings are powder, will it hurt to use the air gun on them?

Ken G - the subframe you have is from the 122/3 series and 70/100 I believe. This was before the "Quick Attach Latch" came along (which I believe was at the time of your 124. To use this frame I believe all you need to do is remove those short frame extenders and set them aside (but don't discard them - I'll tell you why later). Then come up with a rod long enough to slide thru the top holes in the sub-frame arms (the vertical pieces that are welded to the sub-frame). You can drill a couple holes in the rod on the area outside those sub-frame arms, and use washers and cotter pins to hold it in place. Then SHAZAMMM - you can use your subframe with your Quick Attach Latch.

Now, on those frame extenders - fifteen years ago or so, I had a 122 with that same sub-frame BUT no frame extenders. At that time I didn't know what they even looked like. I visited my trusty local CC dealer and sure'nuf he did NOT stock them, so I ordered me up a pair. About a week later I got the call they were in and beat feet to the dealership. Low and Behold I was handed 2 really nice pieces of what appeared to be pieces of flat stock with a couple of holes and with one end rounded. THEY WERE PAINTED RED and had an IH sticker part number tag on them. At that time I believe I paid $11 apiece. I toyed with the idea of making up a pair and keeping the read ones with the IH tag, but finally decided, they probably came out of the IH parts bin used for something else besides the CC frame extenders. Never did find out. BUT, I suspect you might just find some other guys out there in a situation reverse of yours and like mine. Their sub-frame is missing the extenders and they don't know how to attach it to their 122 because it doesn't go up high enough. Oh, well, maybe they'll catch this post.

Let us know if you're able to do what I suggested. I'm certain it will work.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (but occassionally have mixed up parts)

HYDRO HARRY - Warning - Shameless Plug fo a sponsor here! I had my K321 balanced by Dave Kirk and it runs smoother than the K241 I had in the #72 for many years. I also used the K361 Forged Alcoa rod which I now understand Dave can supply that He mentions in his Killer Kohler write-ups. I got my rod from a different source than Dave and Dave & I were NOT Impressed.

Dave has years of experience in the small engine manufacturing business and ALL his parts & service is Top Notch!

BOB P. - How far away from LaPort, IN are you? You should go to Red Power Round-up. Today is the last day.

Latest posts

Back