• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through February 28, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Tristan, here's some photos to get your brain working. I forget where I found these (probably on the old Yahoo Cub Cadet forum,
dunno.gif
) but I saved them back in 2004. I have no idea who the guy is that built it. Anyway, something similar might make for a decent log skidder, so with no further ado, here's the photos a Cub Cadet based skid steer vehicle:

235907.jpg

235908.jpg

235909.jpg

235910.jpg

235911.jpg

235912.jpg

235913.jpg

235914.jpg

235915.jpg

235916.jpg

235917.jpg

235918.jpg

235919.jpg

235920.jpg

235921.jpg

235922.jpg

Under edit: NEVER MIND THESE LAST THREE PHOTOS...

235923.jpg

235924.jpg

235925.jpg

That... THINK looks down right SCARY. Especially dumping something with that box on the "front". Put anything much heavier than bark mulch in there and the little caster wheels on the "rear" won't be on the ground.

It's very cool, but I'm with Dennis. It looks like the dump pivot point is pretty far to the back. IMHO the balance doesn't look correct.

I think the dump box was an afterthought. When I first found the photos (March 2004) the dump box photos were not there. The dump box photos showed up sometime around January 2005. Dates are from the properties of the image files. I debated including the dump box photos in my post, should have gone with my gut and not included them. For a log skidder I think it could be a useful tool. If I were to build a similar vehicle I think I would make it operated from a seated position, I'd lengthen the tracks (wheelbase) slightly and I'd add a roll cage/ROPS.

Your best bet for trying to skid logs would be to build a trailerable log arch. All the weight would be on the arch-not the cub cadet. Put some wheel weights on and you will be good to go.

As far as building a custom mini skidder-that can be done also. I am building a mini articulated tractor and am in the process of building a grapple for the back for skidding out logs also. I will say though that although I started that project with cub cadet hydro transmissions because I got them for free, the issues of getting the driveshafts to be true and lined up properly along with issue of having to sync the transmissions via control cable put it beyond my tipping point so out they came and in went a pair of case transmissions that I just happened to stumble upon. The BEST rear end to put into a custom project like that is the case rear end. All hydraulic, 2 speed and just as strong, if not stronger than the cub. Plus since it is a distant relative to the cub its not too "foreign". Just hook up the hoses in series to your control valve and away you go.

But if you are hard core cub cadet I have 3 hydro transmissions, 2 with external brakes available now if you are interested!

Those are all pretty neat but way beyond my skills and abilities.

Dan Weber - yeah a log arch is a possibility too. But the problem is I want some of the weight on the cub. The biggest issue with these 2wd cubs is traction, especially hauling weight on rough ground and uphill. I could save dragging logs for the more flat areas but one of the projects I want to do soon I was going to get a bunch of the smaller post sized locus that are standing dead at the edge of the swamp at the bottom of the hill.

I wont be dragging a lot of logs. I mainly cut for firewood. Dragging to a better staging area might have advantages, but unless the tree is in a mess of briars nothing wrong with cutting it there. I am also starting on a custom cart this week. I want to be able to drag logs whole though for a couple things, one I plan on making a cheap woodshed timber frame style out of some standing dead black locust, and also want to start playing with a granberg mini mill I just got. But most of my business in the woods will just be for firewood, and if dragging doesnt work out that well I'll have the cart.

Load your tires with rim gaurd and add some wheel weights and you will be surprised at how far that will go. Depending on how you build the arch there are ways to build it so you can get some tongue weight on it too.

Here are some pictures of my skidding attachment. The winch helps to pull logs to the tractor if I can't get close enough to them. I choke the logs with a chain, use the winch to lift the front of the log off the ground, hook the leader of the chain to the hook on the tractor, pulling the log with the chain. The traction is awesome. I have pulled some very large logs out of the woods.
236115.jpg

236116.jpg

236117.jpg

Darryl, any chance you can repost those in a higher resolution?
a_blink2.gif

I am not to good at resizing...this is better.
I have a few more that show the units. I'll try to get to right size
237080.jpg

237085.jpg

built from cadet 85 riders..replaced the deck with C44 decks...used them for 11years...
repowered them last year with 15hp kohler commands

Darryl, those are too nice to not have big photos. Please send me the full resolution versions and I'll posts some nicely sized versions.
happy.gif

Marlin, I cut about 3 acres and these things really help out.
frees up some time for other fun things...I used the 8hp briggs that comes on the cadet 85 for a few years,
overhauled the engines once. then after about 3 years I replaced the engines with Kolhers.
The only bad thing is when I need new blades....nine blades at a time kinda hurts..

Darryl-

That is truly an awesome set-up. And it looks like you can detach both units with one pin freeing up the tractor for the fun things.

Wayne,
Yes,and I used 1-1/2 ball hitch on each mower. If I get into close quarters I just reach back
and unhook one of the mowers...some parts of my lawn work best with only one side mower
and one spot i use just the tractor. 132" of cut and it never scalps the ground.

Latest posts

Back