• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 29, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig M., would have a picture of the seat pan differences? I want to install a lift on the back on my original but I'm un-sure if mine has this crescent or not.. I've got the lift parts but haven't tried to install it yet. And I don't remember any crescent cut out..

Kraig, Paul T: like all Cub Cadet equipment and accessories, the fender pan was a Dealer installed item. My early '64 TC-82 Parts Manual shows a "square" notch in the fender pan as does a 63 brochure I have. Either they came that way from the beginning with installation instructions to the Dealer to cut a notch only when installing the 3-point lift/sleeve hitch or a manufacturing error got a batch shipped to Dealers like that in which case there will be a Service Bulketin with instructions to dealers to cut a notch. The crescent cut was likely a later running manufacturing change. I do not have the install instructions for the Original but Charlie does have some of those early IH Cub Cadet Service Bulletins - maybe he or perhaps the Louisville Guru, Paul Bell, can shed some light on this. At any rate, I agree that it should not be cut at this late date and be preserved.

Morning all. Trying to search for a pic posted a couple months ago of an amp bracket attached to a dash tower on someone's 7x tractor. Just can't seem to find it so any help would be appreciated. Ordered a couple and just want to check the mounting location as I thought it was pretty clean looking and not a knee knocker. Thanks

I'm new to this forum and I hope I'm posting in the right place.
My model 70 runs good for about 30 min. or so then quits. I can grab the choke and pull it and it will run about 15 more seconds. I can work the choke back and forth and it will limp back to the shed. It also has power loss when it does this. Is it the carb.? I called the nearest cub dealer and they said if I could find spec numbers they might could order me a kit but they didn't know if they could. Any thoughts before try to find a carb. kit

Myron, Paul T., kraig,
I don't have anything to explain the notch, or lack of a notch, in the seat pan, but I can tell you that the prototype set of fenders on 409 had a deeper pan with a notch or rather a hole cut in it than goes almost to the bottom of the pan, which tells me that it was a known that anytype of "lip" or flange around the pan would need to be notched or cut out to fit the lift arm.
259020.jpg

I would like to see a picture of the complete pan, to see what this "line" in the red outline, is. It almost looks like the edge of a piece of metal as if the pan was modified or home made.
259021.jpg

Clay, it sounds to me like you might have a valve sticking open. I'd run some MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) in it for a while and see if that doesn't cure the problem. You can purchase MMO at Walmart or most auto parts stores. Hope that cures your problem.

Paul B., Myron, thanks for providing some input.
happy.gif

Mike F., here's a couple photos of the fender pan on my Original.

259024.jpg

259025.jpg

Under edit: Paul B., I believe the line you are seeing in Paul T's photo is the lower part of the seat bracket which shows up quite well in my 2nd photo above.

Clay, after thinking about it a little bit, I'd also replace the plug, points and condenser. I've had them act like that with ignition problems.

Clay,

Good rule of thumb is "If the choke fixes it, it's fuel related".

Check the carb bowl for debris, sediment bowl for debris, and the tank vent (open). I've seen "gasoline slime" (stringy slime that forms when gas starts to go bad) block the tank outlet and cause that problem.

Blowing backwards through the fuel line with an air hose is always a good starting place.

Carb rebuild may fix problem, but if it runs great up until then, it's more likeyl debris and not deteriorated parts.

Thanks Kraig! Very helpful!! I'll have to check my original tonite.

That line that Paul was asking about is behind the seat mount it appears. At least to me! LOL..

Mike F., it looks to me like Paul T. has the seat spring removed and the line Paul B. is asking about is the edge of the lower seat mount.
popcorn.gif

That might be Kraig.. the red box actually makes it harder for me to focus on it! You may be correct but the angle and the red box make it difficult to tell for sure!

I went out to the shop and got sidetracked.. I never looked at the seat pan even tho' I walked past about 5 or 6 times! RRRRRrrrrrr...
bash.gif

Me and the boys gave the 109 and 126 a workout this evening. More of a shake-out on the 126 and more get to know this tractor exercise.

All in all, both mowers mowed about 2 hrs.

The 109's deck belt broke just when we quit. The pulleys on the deck are rusty and I think chaf the belt over time. Might replace those pulleys this winter. Spindles are otherwise quite.

The 126 - I re-torqued the head after replacing the head gasket and putting some run time on it. It needed it too! The head bolts needed at least 1/4 turn when tightened.

Is this what you find when you re-torque a head?

The 126 ran great, but about 2/3rds of the way through mowing the engine started struggling like I was hitting some high grass (which I was mowing high grass all evening w/48 inch deck). After a minute, it died. I let the tractor cool, checked the oil and it looked OK and then the gas - still plenty. Turned out the cap wasn't letting air in, so I fixed that and started mowing again.

The can end of the muffler on the 126 blew out - it was pretty rusty anyway, but I've got a replacement that came with the 122 that I'll put on it. The 109 is in need of a new muffler too, so I'll be putting a couple of these on my next order list.

I mowed mostly in 2nd gear on the 126 and compared to what I'm used to mowing, that was pretty FAST! I kept thinking, wonder if IH tested these mowers for various ground speed gear ratios for 2nd gear and thought they must have set the ratio for the fastest ground speed that wouldn't compromise the quality of cut. The grass was tall, but the 12 hp engine and 48 inch deck cut right through it - AND laid down a pretty nice cut.

The property we were mowing is kind of bumpy, so 2nd gear gives a pretty rough ride sometimes. Need to get a new seat and rubber bumpers for it.

Lastly, I've got a super steer kit and need to install it on the 126. I believe it steers harder than the 109.

Here is a pic of both the 109 and 126.

259041.jpg

Bill

I don't know if IH tested anything as you suggest, I think they were just <u>that good</u> at what they made/sold.
happy.gif

I'm pretty sure IH put SOME thought into ground speed versus engine RPM, as the ratio between forward speed and blade RPM had to be reasonable in one of the gears (too fast in 3rd, too slow in 2nd for instance on a specified depth of grass would be the type of thing they would have to put at least some engineering into...

Bill glad to see you working 'em - IH didn't build these things to work for a few years and then become trailer queens / parade kings....
greenthumb.gif

You all remember that the early 70/100's had 16 tooth second gears...S..L..O..W.. But a carry over from the F Cub. IH went to the 19 tooth 2nd with the 102/122 and kept that through the wide frames. 19T 2nd is FAST, but just right for a well tuned mower on a higher HP unit. During wide frame production 2nd was reduced to 17 teeth, medium slow. My best guess is that by that time gear drives were being primarily sold as lower HP "economy" models, as the hydros had a very strong following by then, and the 19T second was too much for cut quality vs. HP.

Personally, I LOVE the 19T 2nd, and wish my 582 had one....17T is TOO SLOW for a 16hp driving a 44" deck.

Did IH think it out??????.....Sure......16T too slow, 19T better but maybe a little too fast in some cases, finally settled on 17T (wish it would have been 18T
happy.gif
). IH changed to meet the need, starting with what the had and working to what they "needed"....with maybe just a little "too much of a good thing" there in the middle.

I'm thinking about adding "floater truck" tires to my Cubs.....with all of this ^%$#$%^* rain we've been getting it's hard to keep them from leaving 2 nice muddy tracks. grass is dry, but the ground is saturated...wet tires, dry grass....still a mess!

While hiding from the rain drops I managed to make up a QA mount for my new spot sprayer using a cat 0 adapter and some old 1-1/4" trailer hitch components. Also ended up with a nice receiver type trailer hitch/drawbar in the process.

With all of the rain there are plenty of weeds to attend to!!!!

259059.jpg

259060.jpg

259061.jpg

Has anyone tried to install a 44A deck on a narrow frame Cub? If so I would be interested in how to do it.

Latest posts

Back