Archive through August 03, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,
I am a new owner of an old CC model 124. I am not sure how or where to post questions that I have concerning this tractor. Since I am new to the CC owners group, I am sure that many of my questions have been answered in the past, but I do not know how to access the archive pages beyond the 60 day retaining cycle. I read the FAQ section, which I found quite helpful. I am going to try and restore this tractor to a working usable level. Not a trailer/show vehicle. It needs an engine rebuild (smokes) and a little paint and body work. No rust through the panels, just needs cleaned primed and painted.

David,

You're in the right spot...if it isn't covered in the FAQ then post it right here....we'll get you on the right track.

Welcome.

Richard C - sure I'd like to see all your info and a set of step by step pics on how to fix everything there is on the 44 and 50 decks. I like the landing gear bracket, nice and clean. I'd especially like to see what you come up with to reinforce the hanger brackets to keep them from rounding and breaking thru the deck skin. I usually have welded a plate below the deck but the "W" grass guide is in the way on one side. Let us see what you've got.

By the way guys, I got back last weekend from the GREAT OREGON STEAM-UP at Brooks, OR. Ole Jerry B flew in from the Mt's of ID. Brought a couple of genuine IH stamped bolts for me - must'a had'm in his pocket for 16 years - they's so shinnny. Also saw the Doug Bucket Barnett and his bucket brigade and modernized 149. The one and only Steve Johnson was there as well with his 100+ various yard/garden tractors. AND - ever placed I turned I saw the one, the only, Reverend Bob Bob Bob, Necker. He was over by the Steamers, then he was over by the MFs, then by the Deers, then by the Farmalls, then the Cats. At least it sure looked like him. Any you guys seen the ole Necker lately?????

Hydro Harry
(Keeping the pass open for Necker to make the 2005 Steam Up)

Kraig: Thanks for that information on getting the seat redone on the 104. Got chance to to work on the 104 today. cleaned all the elec. connections & the fuel bowl. Hey It really came to life. Even with the bottom of the muffler missing it ran quiet. The gas tank has some guke or slim in the bottom.
What could be used to clean it out?
Checking all the parts to the 104, it looks like all is there: Rubber groumets for the hood (no cracks in the Hood), Hood latches, Grill & Grill mount springs, & so on.
Not to bad for 25 GWs
Later
{:-{)
with 2 Cub Cadets in SE VA

Hydro Harry
If you wait till the hangers get bent and pull through the deck you don't have any choice but to either weld a plate on the top or if you weld something below you will be in the blade area on one of the brackets and it will probably cause a grass build up.

My suggestion is before you get to that point take the quick release pins off and discard them. Get a rod ( a 5/8 rod I think) long enough to go through the hangers and the lift frame. Weld a large washer on one end, grind the other end down and drill a hole for a quick attach cotter pin. Before you remount the mower deck run the rod through the hangers and with a big hammer straighten the hangers so the rod goes through them smoothly. Now when you mount the mower deck the pressure is even on all 6 bolts in the hanger mounts and when you take the mower deck off in the fall you will see the hangers are not bent up like they get when you use the quick release pins.

It may take a minute or two more to mount the mower deck but it makes the deck much more stable, not bouncing around like it does with the quick release pins and the life of the hangers and the deck will be extended.

I still use the quick release pins on the 44a decks but I will never use them on the 50 inch decks again.

20721.jpg

Steve Blunier:
E-mail me @ [email protected]. I tried getting ahold of you via the email in your profile but it bounced back as undeliverable.

Anyway, since you're driving right by here tomorrow morning on your way to Little G, you're welcome to stop by. I'm hauling a couple of Cubs up there for drop off so I'll be going there, too.

later,
Keith

Steve , Kraig , I've never seen a 128 with a 17t second. 1000 & 1200 do. the 128 has a 19t.

Don,

Unfortunately, this 128 has a 102 shifter and some evidence of trans work, so who knows what's in there. It's not nearly as fast as my 100 with a 19T, so I have a few doubts about a possible repair in this tractor's past. If it does have a good 17T, I might just put an overdrive reduction gear in it and get a more useable 1st gear too.

Only way to find out is to tear it down, but I just haven't found the time for that yet.
happy.gif

Travis,

Let's see.....

Chris E and I are riding up in his truck (automatic good time)

Stopping to see Keith E. on the way (automatic good time)

All three of us are stopping at Midwest Super Cub for some cool stuff (always a good time talking with Julian)

Secret short-cut to Dyersville (saves time)

Little G all afternoon.......Great time!!!!!

This will be a FUN weekend for sure!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Thanks for the info,, its the 42 inch deck low in the front,,

has anyone ever tried to fabricate a subframe??

Thanks
Henry

Henry T. -

Why would anyone fabricate a subframe when so many good used ones exist? If you really want a subframe, contact one of our sponsors at the links above.

If you have the correct, unmangled parts on your deck and your subframe isn't all bent out of whack and your deck itself isn't warped, then there's absolutely NO reason that it can't be leveled.

Henry,

Bend the "pickle fork" the engages the rockshaft under the footrests up in the air an inch or so.....this will raise the front of the deck back into the adjustment range.

Well, it's August so I'm starting to think snow removal.. sort of. I have seen pictures of this here and there and they are sold through Sam's Club as well as a few other outlets though I have yet to see it in person as it's a special order item.

My thought was to figure a way to fit this on the back of my 149 and use it for tools or whatever spring, summer, and fall and in the winter fill it with cheap traction sand for extra weight and maybe a way to have some sand with me when I get to the outer reaches of the driveway when I'm using the QA42.

20725.jpg

Any thoughts? Anyone seen this first hand? Looks durable and it's around a buck 30 shipped.

Brian

(Message edited by bjordan on August 06, 2004)

Thanks Again for the info guys,,
I bought the tractor from one of the sponsers, he has been great in helping me out and told me this was a great place to get info,,

have another one question that is,, I downloaded the owners manual and the service manual from the kohles site ,, the one that cover the K241 enging, but no where in it did I find any info on changinf the points or setting the gap on them,, where might I get this info..

Thanks
Henry

Henry T. -

No, there's not a chapter titled "removing/reinstalling the points".

But there's a section on disassembling and reassembling the engine, and you have to take the points out and put them back in to truly do that, so it's buried in those pages.

Besides, it's only a couple screws...

As far as gap, it should be on one of the spec pages in the book (I don't take them to work or I'd check for you), if not it's certainly in the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> shop manual (also available from the sponsors here), and I believe that a couple of our sponsor's sites (Don Vogt's and someone elses...) lists this information as well.

Brain J......The "tractor trunk" is a nice item. CC offers them (we have one here at C&G). You can't load them very heavy, or they are hard to remove. They do make a great "tool box" when lined with styrofoam and filled with ice and "tools".

Trike motor update........Monday they are here!

Mobile 'Fridge Huh Ken? I like the sound of that idea! Good Luck Monday to You and Especially Mrs. Apostle!

Ken U. (They do make a great "tool box" when lined with styrofoam and filled with ice and "tools". )

That thought had crossed my mind too
happy.gif
. This one is made by MTD. I would probably just leave it on during the winter if it was full of sand. It looks like it lifts out of some sort of carrier. Is this similar to what C&G has? I checked the web site and didn't see a listing or pic.

Richard C,
I know it would take some time, but I'm sure that I and many others would appreciate your notes on repairs/improvements to the decks. I don't own one of those particular models of deck, but then two years ago, I had never owned a Cub Cadet at all. I have very much appreciated the work in the past done by you and others before I bought my first Cub Cadet and became involved with this forum. Much of it has been included in the FAQ section or has been otherwise posted by people with seemingly unlimited personal archives and hard drives. I would think that something you have discovered and perfected could be applied to other decks or other attachments which need some reinforcement or improvement.
I guess I'm trying to encourage you to submit what you have developed, so a lot of us can use your knowledge either now or in the future.
Plus, if your work is really good, you would probably get double or triple the normal payment for your contribution.

Latest posts

Back