Archive through August 03, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have e mailed you before I went through all that.

Anyone....
If I start using a HVLP paint gun, will I need to use hardener to get it to dry in a reasonable amount of time??

Ryan,

I don't have a problem with checking it (and since I work for the gas/electric utility I know all about the "backhand"
happy.gif
), but I was late for work and not in the mood to be in a hurry doing it...that's when what might be a little tickle turns into a big ouch!!!!!

BTW, Julian is building me up a 3 puck clutch as we speak......I'm also getting the 6 pin driver with plans to turn a belt groove into the OD and drive a hyd. pump with it. I pick it up Sat on the way to Little G.

Digger,
I am going to replace the drive plate, throw out bearing, and clutch this time. I didn't have any books at the time I put the thing together, but have since purchased them, and seen that I was missing the anti rattle springs. I was wondering if the anti-rattle springs are a important part of the system. Also, should I replace anything else while I'm at it. I don't want to waste all the money these new parts are going to cost.

Steve- I figured as much..
happy.gif

You going to have the '128' ready for your PD this fall? Might be able to ride side saddle to get a round or two in on a jammer.

Any thoughts on what would be the best wat to raise and level the mowing deck on a modle 102 that the adjustments are all maxed out ?? and is there a way to tighten everything up on the subframe ? or is the a place that possible makes new aftermarket subframes?? or maybe an indivual that makes them ? any thoughts or ideal appriciated..

Thanks
Henry

Ryan,

Yeah, that's the plan, might not be all painted up & pretty, but I hope it will be functional.

How's that go....."If she don't find you handsom, she should at least find you handy!!!"

Question?
IH Cub Cadet 100. Bearing in Engine driven PTO?
I miked it all up and was going to look up a replacement. I found that the 1 inch dia. hole is not centered. Is this on purpose, and what does it serve? Is it necessary?
Gordon

Hey guys, I have a question. I'm taking my 782d apart for resto, and...How the hell do you get the drive shaft off. I took off the four bolts from each end, and moved the fan out of the wat, not it slides a tad, but how does it come off?

Gordon N.-

The hole isn't really offset, it just looks that way. There is a cam lobe-looking thing on the end, which fits into an "offset" hole on the bearing collar. It's called a self-locking collar. They did that on purpose, all though I don't know why. Yes it is necessary. Someone else will probably be able to expand a bit more on this.

Ted,
Haven't shot with the hvlp yet but I am pretty sure you are going to still need the hardener.

I look at is paint is paint and pressure is pressure. I don't think that a lower pressure is going to help the finish dry faster.

But I am open to hear from others,as I said I haven't used one yet.

Got some more time to work on the modifications to the 50c deck. I've got everything squared up now and I want it to stay that way. One of my big concerns was the right rear wheel and the famous crack in the deck. As little as this one had been used it already had the crack and there was one bolt hole difference between the rear left and right side gauge wheels, due to the right bracket bending up. Once I got both sides correct I went through about 20 different designs in my head to strengthen it and this is the one I decided to build.

20695.jpg

It is built with 1/4 inch steel welded with my old DC welder and it is hell for stout.

20696.jpg

It bolts to the mower deck at a strong part of the discharge chute.

20697.jpg

Requires no change in the wheel mounting bolt and you still have the 4 adjustment holes.

20698.jpg

There will probably be a bracket connected to the flat part on the top that will come up and go to the front swivel gauge wheel (yet to be built) that will give extra support.

I have had several private Emails requesting information on how to do a complete mower deck rebuild and alignment. I do it about the same as Steve B. wrote up in FAQ #13, which is a must read. Since I am kind of a picture taking nut, I have pictures of all the steps along the way. If there was enough interest I would put together a step by step procedure with pictures of the problems I find and some of my methods for checking and aligning the 44a and the 50 inch decks. Its not that I need the work but it is hard to answer people individually and I would rather do it once and be done. I could do it on MS Word and Email it privately, but that would require mailing a lot of pictures. I could do it here in one failed swoop or I could break it up into small sections and post it here and you could save it or disregard it your preference. Let me know if any interest.

Ted,
I am not an expert on paint, but I just was talking to an expert earlier today. he said you should, don't have to, but should always use a hardener with single stage paint.

Steve-
Sorry to hear about the well-pump. That's a bummer. Why can't it happen when you're washing the truck on a Saturday morning?!?!?!? ;-)

There's a rumor around here via the local "professionals" that says pumps were installed with wire that was waaay too small to handle the weather and electrical load and therefore the pump burns out. Not sure if that's an actual known fact, or just a bid to get hours added to the bottom line when the day is done after replacing the wire, but it is food for thought!

Tedd-
What'cha doing with that UGLY thing anyway????...

Richard-
That bracket looks like landing-gear now!
thumbsup.gif

I seen some nice little single cylinder air cooled diesels on ebay, to bad they have a pull starter in the front. would make a neat repower of my Original Cub Cadet. they offer a 4.2, 6, 7 and 9 horse version, made by DEK. its supposed to be a yanmar knockoff. Looks nice, good prices, they do have elec starters so you could remove the recoil unit, would just have to figure out how to mount the pulley for the drive belt. Anybody tried this with their narrow frame cubs? My 7 runs good but its getting a bit tired, but I still mow and plow snow with the old girl and would love to drop a newer powerplant on her, espicaly a diesel.

I need the tooth count on a Cub ring gear and pinion (final drive). Thanks.

Steve, posting that specifications excerpt from a service manual was easier than counting the teeth in a picture, which is what I set out to do. As I scrolled through the pages looking for a decent photo I spotted the specs page. What's that saying Charlie used to use in his profile, "Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while." Glad I could help. :eek:)

Latest posts

Back