Archive through April 02, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MATT K. - The needle or roller bearings for the balance gears are a caged needle bearing in every Kohler I've taken them out of so unless the bearing is really worn the needles shouldn't fall out. I have about two, maybe three sets I'm trying to figure out what to do with. The K-301 I rebuilt 10-12 yrs ago spit a keeper off one of the stub shafts about the third revolution of the crankshaft and the gear started bouncing off the crankshaft throw and it was a REAL pain trying to get them out without removing the crankshaft. I don't think You could get them in without pulling the crankshaft. On a side note the shims to take up free play on the balance gears is the same shim used on the camshaft so I have PLENTY of those.
TED....How much did MAMA let You play....I mean Plow before She stopped you?
happy.gif

matt k -the needle bearings are not caged but should stay in when you pull the gear off,with that much play sounds like its bad,they will probably fall out when you take it off.the shaft is probably bad too.if the shaft is wore it will look grey were the needles ride on it.if you didnt know theres two different numbers of bearings(kohler #236506 has o.d. of .6825/.6828 and #4703001 has o.d. of .6870/.6875)if you replace the bottom i would do the top also its alot more work but your that close.T

Dennis Frisk:

Thanks. I hope they're caged, my goal is to get them out with out pulling the crank shaft, but that may be easier said then done...

anthony owsley:

I didn't know there where over sized bearings available, although the movement is back and forth, so I don't know how much bearings are going to help, shims on the other hand....

I guess I'll spend some time in the garage tonight

Matt

I am installing aux front ports on a previously non equiped 1650. I just don't know where and how big to drill the holes. Any help would be appreciated. Figured I would do this while I had it blasted and apart, it had been smoking bad for a while and while I was waiting for the machine shop I had to find something to do.

Mickey, I'm not sure about the size of the holes but here is a photo showing where they should be.

34717.jpg

matt k- the bigger bearing isnt an oversized bearing they just used two sizes you probably got the 236506 smaller bearing as this was the "first" and most popular they started using the 4703001 on later or newer engines and most of the new complete gear assy. have this bearing.T

Dennis,

I was turning the garden plot. So I got in about 6 12 foot passes. I stopped at that point since it was dinner time.
happy.gif

anthony owsley:

Ah, I see. I would have the smaller ones most likely (169).

I'll pull the bottom one and see what I'm dealing with. There's a lot of slop so I may just have try running with out the gears and hope for the best.

Matt

Mickey, the hole placement on my 1450,
center of top hole 1" from top of frame
center of botom hole 2 3/8 from top of frame
center of both, 1 3/8 from outside corner of frame
Not sure of exact diameter, somwhere around 7/8" Hope that's clear. John

(Message edited by jgeorg on April 05, 2006)

TED - As anxious as You are to PLOW I thought You might have gotten "Carried Away"
happy.gif

Hi Guys, I finally made some progress on a cub I've been looking at for a few years! I had the pedestal sand blasted a couple years ago and had it freshly blasted again this week. Took it up and had it powder coated today. The hitch pieces was sprayed with an IH rattle can by myself. I think the match color-wise is pretty good!
34726.jpg

34727.jpg

What do you think? That is Sherman Williams Bright Yellow powder coat.

So I got a bit carried away when I said there was 1/8th inch slop in the balance gear...

It's more like 1/32, I didn't get in until late so I didn't get the feeler guage out but I'm thinking that new bearings and a shim should make things much better.

Anyone ever replace the bearings on the top gear with out removing the crank?

Looks good here John!

There's a few purists here but IMO that looks pretty damn close!!! Close enough anyway...

So are you going to take that left over yellow and deal with those <font color="119911">green things</font> you've got at your place?
bouncy.gif

Matt, It would be easier if you just threw those balance grinades away they don't do that much on a 301. IMHO

I just mounted my Cub 1250 mule drive and mower deck yesterday. I have a few questions. 1. Can I replace just the bearings in the mule drive pulleys or do I have to replace the entire pulley. Also, the steel arms that the pulleys are mounted on are both bent at an angle, should they be that way, or should they be straight? Last, where can I get the bearings and/or pulleys?

Paul K. -

1) You replace the pulleys.

2) They should be bent - it helps ease the belt towards the deck's pulley.

3) See those colorful boxes above?
wink.gif

Matt,

But this is a k341, your k301 is probably smoother w/o the gears then my k341 is with them.

Matt-
My 169 doesn't have balance gears, it's a replacement K341. It vibrates, sure, but what made the biggest difference is when I replaced the complete driveline from the flywheel to hydro and that solved most all of what I thought were engine vibrations.

Balance gears are just a liability in an aged engine or a rebuild that doesn't include new bearings for the balance gears. . . . IMHO of course.

matt k- you will have to pull the crank out to get top gear out.if you put em back in timing is critical of the gears.dont use the kohler timing tool(if you have)the bottom gear will be one tooth off.T

Latest posts

Back