• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Ford Truck Help

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I agree Dennis, and I am going to work with her on better vehicle choices. I am really holding her back right now for her own good.
Thanks for the info and I am always open to everyones IMHOs.

The best thing about the 351-400 M is they shared the same bell housing with 429-460. So if you find something you want to play with a bigger engine ain't that hard to do.

Denny you jogged my memory talkin' about Ford techs shaving time off repairs in the Main IH forum. #2 son could bill out 60+ hours in a 40 hour week...$$ when working at Capital Ford. One job I remember was engine replacement on a Super Duty, where he learned to pull the cab up & off on one hoist, then remove & replace engine in another stall. I don't remember all the details but that procedure saved him time...
icon_jam.gif
$$$

PAUL - Back when I used to spend time on the PSD site ohhh around '04, '05, early '06 pulling the whole cab was common for LOTS of repairs on S-D's. Some kinda minor repairs at that.

Kinda makes me think FMC should think about a forward tilt hood/fender assembly. Maybe even a removable doghouse inside the cab!

I don't envy today's techs at all. Todays cars & trucks are meant to go down the line and be assembled. Too many accessability problems when it comes time to repair.

There's issues with everything, there's a few things on my old IH Farmall's that are a pain to get a wrench on, and my CC's even. Kinda like Don T., I just buy more wrenches, long and short, socket extensions and u-joints. Plus now days you have to have metric and SAE, Torx.

When I put glow plugs in my PSD yrs ago most people said I had to pull the heater/AC box from under the hood, but I was able to get the right side valve cover out and back in without doing that. Sure saves time if you can!

Just for Art's amusement I thought I'd post a Pic of my Truck from last Saturday, the Transmission is getting rebuilt and should be done tomorrow. Hopefully i'll be driving it again this weekend. The 2005 F-350 diesel was fun to drive, it had no problem pulling it.
224007.jpg

Art did you say Chevy pulling?

heres my 94 with 159000 miles bringing home a shed I turned into a chicken coop.

I only had to go about 1000 feet.

224053.jpg

Yep I am a redneck

JEFF - Wish I had pic's of me pulling brush with my truck. But then I have a Ford F250 4X4 PSD... I can move about anything I chain up to. And I got you on miles, I'm at 298,500 and counting. But then the PSD is almost ALL
ihrotate.gif

ART, VINCE - What's amusing is what the price of diesel fuel is.... Most places around here are at $4.15/$4.20 gal.

Funny thing is I drove a Chev K2500 Ext Cab Duramax over to my friend's house to pick up this trailer. When I got there he had it hook to this '05 Ford and he said I could just drive it unless I wanted to unhook and use the Duramax. Well it sure made sense to just leave it hooked to this beast of a Ford!

Belt fell off or broke this morning - meaning the serpentine belt came off from my '97 f-350. I just started driving it a week ago after getting the e4od Trans rebuilt. I jumped out in the rain opened the hood and saw the belt off the pulleys.

I did not closely examine it because it a POURING down rain when it happened. I was real close to home so I drove it back and parked it again...

While being in a hurry to open the hood I could not find the latch. When you pop the hood from inside the truck it opens a bit and then you unlatch it from the front of the truck. I was thinking(or not thinking) it was above the grill when its just inside the grill - it gave me time to get nice and soaked, nice not so warm second shower of the day.

No power steering and no power brakes gave me a workout right after getting soaked...

After work I'll take a closer look at it. Hoping only an idler pulley failed

Did I mention it was pouring down rain when I got out and opened the hood. This second shower today was rather cold...nice way to start my day.

Vince, bummer. I was out in that rain this morning as well and yes it was POURING! Those rain drops were huge.

Vince - The same thing happened to me last fall with my '94 F150. And, it was indeed just an idler pulley. Actually, I guess my belt was still good and sitting in place, so it only cost me a pulley. Hope you're as lucky!

Vince,
Hope it is just idler.I'm not sure how many it has,but couple times it's happened to me i've had a least 1 more with rough bearing on a couple GM products I have.BTW wifes 98 MALIBU now has 279,000 miles.Replaced original starter FRIDAY after it left me sitting at WM.
ROD

Vince-
Any updates on what happened?
1a_scratchhead.gif

I'm betting you let the blinker-fluid get low and ya burned out a muffler-bearing!

Good news - well maybe I need to pay better attention...

There was a brand new Dayco Gold Belt under the rear seat. I remember when I bought the Truck the guy saying it had a new belt, I but what I did not notice was that he must have said a new belt under the rear seat. I did know this belt was there, I just did not inspect it, thinking it was maybe the belt he took off and just threw it under the rear seat for some reason.

Last night I found the belt broke in half, I checked and spun every pulley, alternator, etc. and all was fine, but the belt on it really did not feel like rubber.

I installed the new belt and took Coco my Lab for a ride, she was very happy !!!

OH - I do have low blinker fluid !!!!!!!! I don't have any at home, but I will pick some up today!

Muffler bearings are fine - I had them replaced when I got my transmission rebuilt. There are part of the reason my repair bill was so expensive.

Vince-
Glad to hear it was "just" a broken belt. I guess you are somewhat lucky that it broke so close to home as well.

When I was replacing a water-pump on the Suburban last spring I notice the serp-belt was VERY cracked and missing some MAJOR chunks of the grooved drive-surface. The thought that went through my head was, "Why is this so horrible looking? I know I replaced it just a couple years ago..."

After checking the "little black book" I keep in the glove compartment, I found that it had been almost 6 years in I'd changed that belt!

Art, wow - time to change that belt, while your under the hood make sure you check your blinker-fluid and muffler-bearings too !!!

My belt had no cracking, no missing chunks of the grooved surface - it was just junk, it really had a plastic feel to it, not rubbery like the new one.

Vince-
Muffler-bearings are OK. I upgraded to the lifetime-lubed version. A little more money up front, but well worth the piece of mind when you're cruising down the interstate!
Shift.gif

Now if I could just figure out the best upgrade for the tail-light ball-joints I'd be all set!
happy.gif

Those belts will last a lot longer and run a lot quieter if you will clean the pullies with carb cleaner or alcohol before installing the new belt.
My 07 f150 4wd started making a noise ocasionaly like it had picked up a tree limb and draging it on the road. Before you could stop and check it the noise would stop. It was a check valve bad in the vacuum system holding the front hubs out. The vacuum holds the hubs out instead of locking the hubs in. A solenoid puts the 4WD in and removing vacumm lets the hubs lock in. Ended up costing me 200. for a 20. part.

Latest posts

Back