• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

CC String Trimmers

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh.... did a little reading - Komatsu put money into Zenoah, Husqvarna put money into that company. Electrolux spun off Husqvarna AB. And we think MTD has long arms in the brands they control......

The originator of the current "ryobi" design, with the reed intake, top fuel tank, bottom muffler and plug on the bottom, was IDC, back quite a few years. Then RYAN bought them, and improved the design, making it much better, the Ryans were tough and reliable. Then RYOBI bought them, and quality went out the door in favor of selling in volume. In Recent years Ryobi created what amounted to the first mass produced 4 cycle trimmer, I think it was the model 990R.

Then MTD acquired RYOBI.

After that, they further cheapened the old design with a shoddy quick choke setup, louder thinner mufflers, more plastic, flimsy controls...And badged them as Troybilt, Bolens, Cub Cadet, Yard Machines...etc etc. It's all the old ryobi design, nothing has changed in the big picture. It's still the same crappy 25 hour engine that starts hard. Recently they started adding "spring assist" to their trimmers, but cost cutting resulted in a failed design that breaks easily and requires replacing a few internal components.

The 4 stroke models, heavier, cumberson, vibrate more, use oil, and require constant maintainance. You have to change the oil a couple times a season, and add oil about every other use, it's about 2.5 ounces, give or take, and it burns quickly.

Let us also not forget the Ryobi's cousin...the poulan pro trimmers/ AKA craftsman professional trimmers. Basically a cloned ryobi...but with more problems and more expensive.

Thomas - mine's an 890R... Still running...must be the Slick 50
coffee.gif

Thanks again guys, I just got done trimming around all the trees with my new SRM-230.

As for a personal review, the thing's a monster! It starts easily with the first pull using the "cold start" choke setting, the second with the choke off and it lights up. Running it a @ WOT for about 10 seconds yields full RPM and power. The unit is very well balanced, I don't get the typical numb hands that I had grown accustomed to with the 2-stroke trimmers I've used in the past. Upon putting the unit away, I noticed that I didn't smell like I was bathing in 2-cycle oil. This is a very powerful, clean running unit. I'm impressed. It compliments my Cub Cadet pusher quite nicely.

I went ahead and bought the brush cutter blade and shoulder harness while I was at it. Got the free hat with it, but couldn't talk my way into a free pair of the Echo shades.

Thanks again!

Just in case someone was thinking off throwing out the
worthless.gif

Here you go:
83861.jpg

I gotta have handle bars on mine
happy.gif

I tried one of those Troybilt 4 strokes and took it back the next day , the engine hit the underside of my arm all the time.

So far I like our CC trimer (actually it's Kathy's) what time I've used it. I use my Stihl but I don't like it as much as my old old Mcculloch. I'm about 4 inches to short for the Stihl's cutter head angle.

All the "lawn pros" around here use Stihl and it's either a Stihl or Husqvarna chain saw here or you aint got a saw.

I bought a cheap 42" lawn sweeper today ... it actually works too !

Wyatt - Keep us posted on it's pro's and con's. I may have to buy another trimmer someday (for Kathy
biggrin.gif
)

Congratulations on your fine purchase, using Echo powerblend, with 93 octane (no gasahol allowed) mixed 50:1 will yield maximum power and logevity. The powerblend oil has the highest rating possible for 2 stroke oils, using the japanese (JASO) requirments, which are more stringent than the american standard ISO requirements.

Standard starting practice is to purge 5 times, flip to cold start, pull once or until it burbles, then flip choke off, and pull. should fire. Now allow it to idle for 30 seconds, and it should go to full throttle immediatly. This allows the piston, and cylinder to come up to temp slowly at the same rate.

But isnt it nice not smelling like a small engine shop, back not sure from wielding a heavy powerhead, arms not sore for hours afterwards from the massive vibrations, ears not ringing from the loud muffler..and lastly...knowing that when you park it for the week, you wont come out to an empty tank and a puddle of oil residue.

Only real items that need replacing in the first few years are the rubber tank grommet where the 3 lines go in...that's about it. Check the air filter every so often, and if you get a hankering to do the annual service on your own...here is what you need.

Fuel filter
Echo-Lube
5/32" Allen wrench
5/16" socket
1/2" socket
Ratchet
CJ8 Champion plug

----Replace the plug.
Use the 1/2" socket to remove the plug on the side of the trimmer head, and use the echo lube to shoot in a couple squirts, ans recap.

Use the 5/16" wrench to loosen the 2 bolts that hold the power head to the shaft. Use the allen to loosen the groudn wire from just in front of the air filter, loosen the throttle cable by hand, and pop it out, this requires no tools. Now unhook the wire at the quick disconnect. Now slide off the power head. Reach in and pull out the flexible cable, and put a little echo lube on it as you slide it back in, now turn it a little so it seats into the trimmer head gear box. SLide the power head back on, twisting it so the clutch drum engages the square flex cable. Tighten the 2 nuts, putthe groudn wire back on, and hook up the 1 wire. Then slide the throttle cable back into the hole on the carb, and pop it into the hold on the throttle lever.

Check the air filter, probably not that dirty.

That's it, a total service, and it takes about 5 minutes to do in real life, honestly.

The gear box will remain quiet, no chatter from the flex cable, fresh plug, new fuel filter...keeps it ready to go, and it only needs a few minutes attention 1 time a year, hard to beat that! Echo has made it a snap to service these things, really.

I cant take 1 Ryobi apart to get to the flex cable in the time it takes to fully service an SRM echo.

The serviceable gearbox is great, and the echo-lube it top notch, and one tube will last you a lifetime. As much as we service and repair these things...we get a season from a tube.

I don't like to admit it but I do own a Deere....my weed beater. Something makes me think JD didn't make it but it's got JD all over it. The worst part about it is I have never had any trouble with it. Hey...it was free.

Most likely a HOMELITE...does it have the little choke slide built into the air filter? ZIP-START?

I have a Homelite straight shaft string trimmer that I got back in 1997 or 1998. The only problem I've had with it is the seal between the fuel tank and the fuel line leaks. I can only fill it about 1/3 full or it leaks all over the place. Runs great and has never failed to start with just a few pulls. Whenever I use it I always run it till it's empty, which isn't hard when I never start out with a full tank. I sure wish it would wear out so I can get one that doesn't vibrate as much, kinda hard on my wrists. (carpal tunnel syndrome)

Kraig - Simple !
When you go in the house for a sip of green tea just lay in behind the wife's car as she's getting ready to leave.

Instant bent shaft trimmer = instant new trimmer
biggrin.gif

KENtucky, more then likely it'd do some damage to the car, then I'd be in BIG trouble....
bash.gif
BTW, I don't drink green tea.

I have another trimmer with a brush cutter attachment that my F-I-L gave me a year or so ago, I think he bought it at a garage sale then ended up not needing it. It's a Japanese brand I can't recall right now. Looks well made, older vintage (late 80's early 90's maybe) the engine is an orange color. I've never even started it, I really should give it a try this summer.
coffee.gif

Hmmm, I was looking through some photos I've taken of my Cub Cadet 125 refurb and found one with the manual for my "mystery" trimmer in the background, I see it's a Kioritz which as it turns out is pretty much the same as Echo. My trimmer might be older then the late 80's to early 90's that I was thinking. I may have to have a better look at it tonight get the model number and of course take some photos.
buttrock.gif

"I was looking through some photos I've taken of my Cub Cadet 125 refurb..."

Huh???? WHAT 125 REFURB???????

dunno.gif

Art, in preparation for the Killer Kohler. I'm hoping to paint the Original and the 125 at the same time, I'm gonna paint them the same shade of yellow, (it's the later MTD yellow so it's wrong for both! but it looks darn near the same as the unfaded yellow on the inside of the 125 frame) I don't care if it's "correct" or not, they are both going to be workers not shed/trailer queens.

Do some trimmers spin in different rotations? If so, which is preferred?

Wyatt, how much was the 230 you bought? Did yours come with the U-turn spool?

I've about had it with my cheap-o Ryobi... maybe the trimmer under the tire thing is a good idea!

Keith-
"Do some trimmers spin in different rotations? If so, which is preferred?"

It depends which hemisphere you're in.....
err.gif

Latest posts

Back