• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Knowledge base questions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac Stevens

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Mac Stevens
I’ve had several Cub Cadets none newer than my 14 hp 129, that I’m getting back in shape. I bought a CCC782 a couple weeks back in unknown condition, you know just because the bug has bit me. Now there’s a 1872 near me, likely bad motor. School me on the differences and opinion me the better of those two “ newer” models. I have zero experience with either of them.
Thanks!
88FD8C20-F555-4573-B755-B0E0B140B8D5.jpeg

I’ve had several Cub Cadets none newer than my 14 hp 129, that I’m getting back in shape. I bought a CCC782 a couple weeks back in unknown condition, you know just because the bug has bit me. Now there’s a 1872 near me, likely bad motor. School me on the differences and opinion me the better of those two “ newer” models. I have zero experience with either of them.
Thanks!View attachment 153273
Jump on that 1872 if it's cheap enough. Might just an idiot that owned it and be something really simple to fix. Apples and oranges between the 2 tractors. I'd take the 1872 over the 782 any day!!!!

1872 is considered one of the super cubs. Longer frame so it will take a 60" deck and individual wheel brakes usually tho I think they were optional. It would have an 18 hp magnum twin cyl opposed kohler, the newer v twin kohlers can be put in them and were in the model series or 2 after the 1872. They have the steel body work, the next series newer had the plastic body work but the same frame and chassis pretty much anyway so lots of stuff will swap back and forth. 1872 also has power steering so nice on a snow blower or blade.

Like digger says jump on it if it's cheap enough. I don't think you will regret it. 1872 is a bucket list cc for me.

I would add I have a 682 and 782 as well as 2 1862's. (Similar to the 782 only with power steering and the plastic bodywork I mentioned above) the power steering tractors are my favorite now but I also have snow blowers on both of them. I see your in a part of the country that probably rarely if ever would need a snow blower. But even mowing I like the power steering.

Yes, we can’t buy a good snow here it seems. It sounds like they are one of the best models. He’s asking $300 OBO. I just have to restrain myself from buying more than I need. My 129 is not going anywhere as I’ve had it longer than my wife lol. I’ll use it with a self-powered tiller. My mowing is done with my Gravely zero. I need to turn my head from the sales as tempting as this one is. A Cub with power steering would be awesome.
If you notice, I’m trying hard to talk myself out of picking this up 😐

Go get the 1872, the rear ag tires are probably worth most of the $300! Worst case, if you change your mind later you could flip it.
That, honestly, is what I was looking for.👍🏼
I put new ag tires on my 129 when I restored it 35+ years ago, great tread but they’re cracked badly. I likely will put tubes in them.
Are the 23x10.50-12’s any good in a garden?

Last edited:
Sure, with tire chains and weights.
I have weights on the 129 and a spare set. I’ll give the turf tires a shot.
A friend gave me the tiller last fall so I’ve never used it.
D7453856-7745-4D13-8573-D02A27B01518.jpeg
I had a Cub tiller years ago and it was a PITA to swap out the tiller and deck so I sold it. Man needs 2 Cubs though, right?

The Super is nice because of the power steering, dual hydraulics, ability for the larger decks, and the individual rear brakes. However, personally a Super is just too large, so I would prefer the 782.

I have one like that too. Easy to use and just park it when your done, no fiddling with the tiller attachment, belts, pulleys etc.
Great! So it works well? My question then is does the lift allot the times to be lifted up as to not touch the ground when transporting it to and from the garden? Hmm maybe there’s a You Tub e video. I should have my 129 operational this week.
Edit: does yours attach to the Brinly hitch? The videos don’t show that setup that I see.

Last edited:
It’s a VEVOR linear actuator. I purchased this one on E**y, an open box listing, for $27. They can be had directly or even The Zon for +/-$40. Low amp draw and quite strong. Since I won’t mow with this I removed the mule drive in order to bolt the bracket in place. You could just as easily retain the mule drive/deck and drill/bolt it in a slightly different position. I think it will work out ok. That Rust-oleum Gloss Marigold rattle can paint is very close to the Cub yellow too.

Back