• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

CC String Trimmers

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcompton

displayname
Wyatt Compton
Well, looks like I've about worn out the '70's era Black & Decker electric string trimmer I bought at a garage sale a few years back. I've been looking at getting a new straight-shaft string trimmer. I've looked at Cub Cadet and they have 26cc and 29cc 4-stroke models, and I've looked at the 2-stroke Stihl straight-shaft models. Does anyone have any bood/bad experiences with either?

Wyatt:
I've got a straight shaft Ryobi 4 stroke and I'd have second thoughts about getting another 4 stroke of any brand - It's heavier and is harder starting than the 2 strokes I've had - comments on Lawn Care sites seem to bear that out. I've got two 2 stroke Stihl lawn blowers and as much as my Husky chain saw hates it, I'd go for more Stihl products - cost a little more, but start and run good.

Wyatt - I've got CC and Stihl.
Only fault with either is the primer bulb on the CC. They did their best to hide it under the carb behind the fuel lines. A little hard to get to.

As the rule of thumb goes around here ... Buy Both !!

I work on 2 and 4 stroke engines for a living, and the 4 strokes in the Ryobi, troy-bilt, and CC trimmers are really really BAD engines. The valves require regular adjustment, the carbs are non-adjustable, the vibrations are terrible.. We see at least 1 a week that is a year old or newer that has failed the owner. The bevel gears are noisy and wear fairly quickly.

I do not reccomend a ryobi 4 stroke (be it badged as a cc, troy bilt, ryobi, or other MTD brand) to anyone, based on the number of problems I see with them.

As far as Stihl goes, they are expensive, and while they do seem to work well, they feel clumsy and cheap, I really dont like the air filters the use, nor the handle styles, alot of customers tend to agree with me on thse points, we see a few stihls a week, ranging from new to 5 years old, usually it's a carb problem, sometimes something else.

We sell ECHO power products, and as far as blowers, and Trimmers go...They have all other manufacturers licked. Perfect anti-vibe handles, great air filtration , perfect balance, serviceable bevel gears that remain quiet and donw whine. Quiet mufflers, smooth recoils and the best warranty in the industry, as well as a lifetime guarantee on the drive cable and ignition coil. We have quite a few come in for annual service, many are used daily by contractors and landscapers and many are on their 3rd or 4th trimmer head from such extreme use...but still blow new compression and run like sewing machines!

Just my reccomendation...take a look at an Echo SRM-230 or SRM 210, and dont be fooled by the small displacements (21 and 23cc respectively) they make excellent power and I never hear any complaints from owners and users alike.

Cub Cadet on a trimmer is just a sticker on some other trimmer. An ECHO is an ECHO.

Wow, I feel lucky on my Ryobi - it's an 890-R that I got in 2000. I have adjusted the valves and changed oil on a regular basis and it's not used commercially - maybe the difference. My main complaint is the EPA tuning making it cold blooded and the weight distribution making it want to flip upside down. But I'll tell ya, it's got torque... I also bought the tiller and limb saw for it - the snap attach stuff was one of the reasons I bought it..

I used to work at a dealership that sold Echo also. Another thing that they have is a 2 ring piston. They are one of the few that use these which explains how they get good power out of smaller engines. We sold many units to commercial mowers and about all we sold for them were new cutting heads and filters. Once in a while we would have to clean a gummed up carb but that was usual the homeowners that didn't use them much and did not take of them when stored.

Some of the new Echo equipment is going with a revolutionary 1 ring piston. Dont be fooled, they are just as powerful as their 2 ring brothers.

They are tightening the tolerances up, using a barrel faced ring, and a few other little tricks that make the motors more efficient by reducing friction. 2 rings = 2 things in constant contact with the bore. By eliminating one, and making it barrel faced instead of flat faced or angle faced, the more compression it makes, the tighter it seals.

As if now, the CS 370, SRM 280 and SRM 261 are the only ones running the new Power Boost Tornado engines, the enxt generation, to be fully introduced this year, will be going with the new engine.

Once again, Echo has cleared the CARB emmissions standards, made excellent power, in a small lightweight package that is priced attratively, without sacrificing longevity. Echo is the ONLY company that produces all it's motors and parts in house that can say that all their power heads are rated at 300+ hours engine life/emmissions compliancy rating.

Stihl has had to go with 4 cycle hybrids, and Strato-Charging, to bring their antiquated motor designs up to emissions compliancy.

Not saying Stihl doesnt make a few nice saws...the MS-260, MS-441, and a few others arent bad.

Wyatt,

I purchased an Echo SRM-2100SB Multi head trimmer/edger/hedge clipper about 8 years ago and have not had any problems. I also have their blower, hedge trimmer and a 14" chain saw and all have been trouble free as well. I had homelite, B&D and Ryobi. They started falling apart after 2-3 years. These ECHO tools just keep on going.

I really wish this was an area that I could faithfully indorse CC but I bought the last of the 2 cycle Stihl trimmers, FX 85. It definately not something for the budget consious homeowner. I paid a few hundred dollars for it but it starts very easy, has a predicatable starting pattern, and has a variaty of tools that can be purchased. I'm not trying to push stihl but the over all quality of most of there products is definatly there. Some of there stuff is acutually made here in the USA. jm2c

Thomas - Can you get me a McColluch(spl?) primer bulb and spring and fuel lines? I'll put my old mid 80's era brush cutter back to work. Model number to come when I can get out there...

Mcculloch stuff is hard to come by anymore. They had those weird modular primers, I have a stack of saws and trimmers that have busted primers or carb kits are NLA.

Ive got road runner 1, 2, and 3, 2816's, 3218's, eager beavers, Oh lord I took more than I have now to the landfill last spring.

There is a guy, Ill look for his number, he had a cache of OEM mac parts.

Thanks for all the information. I went to one dealer yesterday (Echo, Honda, Stihl, Gravley, Ariens) and I'm pretty impressed. The dealer even took me back to his shop to show me the models they typically have brought in as far as Stihl, Honda, and Echo trimmers. The dealer has just started selling Echo again (after being told they have exclusive rights to be the Stihl dealer in the area, only to have all the Ace and Tru-Value stores start to sell Stihl).

I have looked online and I can get a better deal by about $65, however if I ever needed warranty work done, I would get charged a "warranty registration" fee of $30. I'm assuming shipping the online purchace would be about $20-$30, so buying from the "local" store 20 miles away vs buying online would seem to be a wash.

I'm glad I asked, I'm receiving a good education. Thanks all.

Wyatt,

As the others have pointed out...Stihl or Echo.....I personally have Stihl, but that is mainly bacause of the local shop in town and their service.

Anyone else have experience with Redline (Zenoah)?
Local L&G sells them as commercial units. I bought one of their handheld blowers and took it back in favor of a 2nd Stihl BG85 (so I didn't keep stealing my wife's)- it was hard starting and the "gyro" effect was really pronounced. I keep hearing about it every so often when I stop in..

REDLINE is not widely distributed near me...in fact not distributed at all. Much like Dolmar saws..if you have someone that sells and services near you, take a look at em.

Echo pricing is set by the corporation, not by the distributor or retailer. We have an ECHO issued price list for all equipment, and the prices are the same at Home Depot. But with a dealer, you dont get handed a box...you get handed an assembled, preped and setup trimmer, saw, blower, mini tiller, etc...that is ready to go to work, at no extra cost.

Thomas-
How much of a power difference is there between the SRM-230 and SRM-210? I'm not so sure that an 8% difference in displacement is worth the $50 price to me. One boasts the "Vortex" engine and other other the "Tornado" engine. As far as I can tell it's similar technology, with the exception that one meets CARB emissions.

SRM-210 is the old standby. It's a model that's been around for years, previously known as the SRM-2100. about 21cc's.

The 230 is a newer model, and I think it has the newer engine style, 1 ring piston, with all the goodies that go along with it.

The 230 will be slightly more capable than the 230, as far as power goes.

Same as the 230 vs the 261. The 261 is a little more capable than the 230, and the 280 is a little more capapble than the 261.

If you want more power than the 210, but dont want a 260, the 230 is right for you.

Such suffixes as i or T, or i75 mean that they have some special echo options.

An i model has i30 starting, which reuces the pulling force by 30% over conventional styles. The i-75 reduces starting force by an amazing 75%. The T suffix means "TORQUE". In model with this option, the gear ratio in the head at the end of the shaft is geared down to take advantage of engine torque, verses momentum, this is awesome for brush cutting with blades. Although Ive found that the 8 tooth blade on an SRM-210 is more than capable of working perfectly for the average homeowner and light commercial user.

Im buying my Dad a new SRM-210i with the 8 tooth blade kit for Fathers day, it's already picked out and waiting...he's fussed with poulans, and weedeater brand stuff all his life...recently I bought him a Deere Trimmer...this was before I knew about Echo. 2 years old and it takes 5 minutes to start and runs bad... It's time for him to enjoy the easy life...one shouldnt have to work hard to trim weeds!

One interesting point on the Echos...they offer a lifetime warranty on the drive shaft and electronic ignition. My boss says that to this day, they have replaced only 1 coil, and have yet to replace a drive cable. He also says that on trimmers, they have not had to replace a clutch that wasnt melted down by a customer. They just dont seem to wear out, even with long commercial use. Also, all ECHO trimmers are full crank engines. This means that the recoil is on the end of the crank opposite the clutch, meaning it has a 2nd main bearing, rather than just 1 as on other brands "half crank" designs. Makes for a smoother engine.

I have found that stihl is a bad choice for a trimmer. Engine lays down to soon. The best trimmer i have found is A Red max made by Komatsu. About all commercial lawn service here is using them. Kind of pricey but very dependable. Easy starting. Plenty torque. Runs very quiet. I have had about all the straight shafts but Red Max has my vote by far.
just my 2c Luther

Weell Now...I've owned a Stihl Trimmer for about three years. Easy starting, plenty of power easy to use..Best trimmer I've ever owned...there may also be some other good ones out there but the Stihl is not a bad choice....Now that is my $.02

By the way, IIRC, MTD bought the old Ryan Trimmer and that is basically what the Cub Cadet trimmers are, I believe (modernized of course).

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Luther:
Not sure where Komatsu came into the picture on RedMax... RedMax uses Zenoah (which BTW is now partnered somehow with Husqvarna). Zenoah is an old line model airplane engine co, with good experience in small two stroke engines (some model airplane engines are pretty good size - the O&R brand was the basis for some of the small two stroke implements back in the early 60's).

Interesting that Husqvarna combined with Zenoah...probably needed off-shore die casting locations

Latest posts

Back