New member PA Frank

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAFrank

I am a new member. I live in central PA and have a Cub Cadet 1320 that I bought new in 1990. I have had very few problems with this lawn tractor over the years. I replaced a mower deck last year and added a bagger to chop leaves in the fall. My transmission never has had much ability to go backward up any kind of incline but I mow around that limitation. My transmission went out two weeks ago and I joined this forum to learn how I might try to repair it myself. I would really like to keep this machine running because it has been so reliable for so many years. I'm not a mechanic but I learn fast.

Welcome from Elkland

Those transaxles are notorious for failure. No new parts are available. You will need to source a good used unit. Check our sponsors.

I am a new member. I live in central PA and have a Cub Cadet 1320 that I bought new in 1990. I have had very few problems with this lawn tractor over the years. I replaced a mower deck last year and added a bagger to chop leaves in the fall. My transmission never has had much ability to go backward up any kind of incline but I mow around that limitation. My transmission went out two weeks ago and I joined this forum to learn how I might try to repair it myself. I would really like to keep this machine running because it has been so reliable for so many years. I'm not a mechanic but I learn fast.
Welcome dude!
Good luck on repairing a busted tranny. Probably best like was said previously to find a decent used unit. Transmission repair is its own special kind of monster even for experienced mechanics, but simply bolting in a new (used) unit shouldn't be much more trouble than the time and busted knuckles it takes to get the job done, and with basic shop tools. Putting fresh gears in you gotta set gear tolerances pretty exactly with shims and such, checking gear lash and putting gear marking paste in there, assemble, rotate, disassemble to check and see if you got it right, and it's still a bit of witchcraft thrown in. That might be more axles than transmissions, but honestly, that's one job I've always been willing to pay the pros for, even as a fairly advanced shade tree mechanic myself.

Latest posts

Back