Archive through September 26, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super Steer questions: In the FAQ, it states that there may only be a certain serial number range of the models listed that have the super steer axles. Does anyone know what serial numbers to look for? Is there an obvious way to positively ID the axle beam by looking at it? Are those wheels 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern? Thanks, Jerry

"thanks for putting the picture of those x-track tire up. I was looking at those also. Are those the 16x6.5-16 size ? And do they tear youre yard up when making sharp turns ?

thanks joe"

Joe, Your welcome! they are sized 16x6.5-8 and I did mow this weekend and they did real well and didn't tear up the lawn like I thought they would! Plus, they make steering a breeze! Hope that helps.

"It'd look like wherever you're going, you've already been... Note there is someone that hangs around here with experience on reversed ags "

Kendell, I'm not sure how to respond.. I just picked myself up off the floor and will need to relax my chest muscles so I can respond.

I hoping for an e-mail requesting a certain type of Sam Adams so I may have a new tractor! fingers crossed!

Chris, sweet!
greenthumb.gif

I picked up a 1100 yesterday for 50.00. at first I thought some one had stuck a B&S in it. Can some one tell me how many of these where made.
I thought it might be unique.
wink.gif

TOM H. - In my post I mentioned the space between the duals filling completely UP with mud.....any guess how We got all that mud out? Sometimes it took a couple days to dry up but eventually with enough road work in high gear most of it would be gone. The BIG chunks would roll around for a while till they broke up and wear most of the stuck-on stuff off the wheels & rims. We always ran the duals about 5-6 inches away from the prime wheel equip. since most of our equipment was small and We were farming 38" rows. The BIG stuff now set for 30" rows the prime tires are set in almost inside the fenders and the duals are most times over a foot away.

I never ran anything with steel wheels, Don't think I'd like to start either! Rubber tires soak up a LOT of bumps.

RICHARD P. - Narrow frt ends, tricycle frt's were part of the FARMALL FARMING design, It let all manner of mounted equipment be put on farm tractors, things like cultivators, and especially mounted corn pickers. It wasn't until the mid-1960's that WFE's became more popular as tractors became bigger and rear-mount cultivators and combines became the normal equipment. By the late 1970's FARMALL would only build about twenty NFE tractors per YEAR, two batches of ten twice a year, mostly small tractors like 786's or 886's. Everything else was WFE and the Elwood FWA was produced at 100 to 200 per year, unfortunately IH didn't market FWA very much because it competed with the 2+2 it released in 1979, it was an articulated row-crop tractor with all four wheels the same size.

With the size of the ag tractor industry years ago the tire companies pretty much made whatever the tractor companies wanted, case in point, when the 1206 was developed, the largest current rear ag tire couldn't handle the HP the tractor produced so Firestone developed the 18.4 & 20.8 X 38 tire size for IH. The rim would spin inside the tire shearing off the valve stem under hard pulls without duals mounted.

Your comment about "Pushing & Pulling confuses Me" Think of tires as "Driven and NON-Driven" Are the tires pulling the load or coasting. Pulling tires run "Forward", coasting tires run "Backwards".

When I mow with my Firestone lugs I can see the grass depressed with the 26-12.00 X 12's on the 982, the lugs are closer together on my 23-8.50's on the 72 and I can still see the grass depressed for a while, maybe a day, but then the tracks disappear. Reason I run lugs is because when I get to a slope or damp spot around a ditch or whatever I don't spin a bald spot in the grass like most turf tires will do. They also ride better, and unless I'm pushing snow on my concrete drive I never have to run chains to increase traction. I have chains for every tractor (FARMALL's included) except the 982 but I don't really like mounting or using them unless I need the traction. They're too hard on my concrete driveway.

Mike M.,
It IS unique.... it is the ONLY Cub produced with that serial number!
thumbsup.gif

Ryan Wilke
greenthumb.gif

Dennis F.,

Earlier you said, "We always ran the duals about 5-6 inches away from the <font color="0000ff">prime</font> wheel equip. since most of our equipment was small and We were farming 38" rows. The BIG stuff now set for 30" rows the <font color="0000ff">prime</font> tires are set in almost inside the fenders and the duals are most times over a foot away.

What do you mean by 'prime tire'.... Is that what you'd call the inside tire when running duals or regarding implements their single rolling tires?

Ryan Wilke
1a_scratchhead.gif

Mike M: You probably shouldn't talk about Model 1100s here, It gets the snobby purists in an uproar.
banned1.gif

Dennis:
You did it on the road???????? No wonder the city folks had to get their cars washed so often, after visiting grandma down on the farm!

The path around the west side of our house slopes towards the county drain that's right there. I used to run the 129 around that way in the winter with either the blade or snowthrower on it... With the OEM 6 rib slicks on the front, I've had several hair raising (this was a while ago..) experiences with the front end slip slidin' towards the drain (the drain bank is about 10 feet high). I tried putting chains on the front - didn't get them to work. Decided to go "down" south in the winter instead (Hi Bobby!). Next door neighbor uses the 129 to keep the drive clear, while I'm riding motorcycle in sunny Fla... best deal I've ever had - didn't have to put lugs on the front wheels on the Cub....

Latest posts

Back