• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 24, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've about decided this 123 won't get a blue headlight decal. Neighbor thinks it has a Sponge Bob look. I'm thinking happy face.
dunno.gif

169849.jpg

169850.jpg

Brian take a jumper wire from the + side of the battery to the connector that comes out of the electric clutch. It should click if it doesn't something is wrong with the clutch. I don't know what. If it does click with a jumper wire we've narrowed it down to the ignition switch, PTO switch, safty switch, or any wire in that path of flow.

Frank C my backyard is still green mostly,wow.I just got an email for a Cub, guy says its a 122 with working creper.I am thinking about it. but the picture show a few problems. have a look.$450
169856.jpg

Brendan B.(bbrigham) and Scott S.(sstanton),

Finally got to look at some postings. Between work, working on my cub, and a serious sinus infection, (probably brought on by breathing dust, primer, and paint fumes)it has been one busy week!
Thanks for the encouragement and info from you both.
Scott, my mortgage greatly helps me keep a slow pace.
Brendan, In my area cubs are as rare as hen teeth. Everyone wants to turn a cub into a "puller". When a cub comes up for sale the owner usually has the "Barret Jackson" frame of mind,if you know what i'm talking about.
I am about 85 percent finished with my 128. If I can figure out how to upload some photos(at the proper size), I will try to post them.
Thanks again guys,
Marty

can any one tell me what size belt will fit for the angle gear box to the engine on a 1650 also can i use the mule drive for the mower deck with the tiller and also what belt fits on the tiller itself

Frank C. I sent those to you maybe you will have better luck!
Josh Ott and Donald Tanner, I just downloaded that image resizer program so I will try it out in the morning. Thanks for the info! Oh and Donald that appears to be missing the breather and shift lever, also the pto lever and a few "proper" decals. It is a nice looking Cub though.
And finally! Do the K301's have those grenade gears in them as well? I will be, at some point, overhauling the engine in the 123 and will take them out when I do. It has just kinda ok compression and had so much carbon built up in it I think it's way overdue!

Brian Bloom,
I had a problem with my 1450's PTO not kicking in a month or so ago.
Replaced the PTO, switch, cleaned the connection up front and still nothing.
When I finally found the problem it was that one of the connections from the fuse holder had came loose(there are two). had to work to get it back on, fired up the engine and flipped the switch and presto! PTO worked as it should.
The PTO switch if in the ON position will not let you start the tractor.
Hope this helps.

While you are checking out the fuse holder connections, make sure you haven't blown a fuse.
Brad

Scott..The 301 in my 73 had them, they were pretty loose too. Also had some bad wear on the gears. Sent them to the circular file.

Edit:::::it was out of my 129.....

Marty...No problem, even at their worst these Cubs are 100x the machine the other junk are on their best. There's not really good pickins around here either. Most have been snatched up by scrappers.

Scott S.,
Yes, some of the K301 (12HP) Kohler engines also have/had balance / "grenade" gears in them.

Where is the motor oil dipstick located on your 123s K301?
I suspect if the engine is original to the 123 (built 6/66- 11/67) it may likely be a short dipstick located near the points cover on the carb side of the engine.

If you don't mind, please share your K301 engine Model#, Spec#, Serial#, if the data tag is riveted or a sticker and where is the location of the oil dipstick.
It would also be helpful if you'd also share your 123 tractor serial #.

Thanks, Scott!
thumbsup.gif

Ryan Wilke
beerchug.gif

Matt G.,
Do you know what years (or range of serial #) of engine production Kohler did install balance gears?

Ryan Wilke
1a_scratchhead.gif

I want to say they started in the 1x6/7 series, but don't quote me on that...or maybe it was the 1x8/9s.

Scott: This is about the best I can do:
169869.jpg

169870.jpg

Scott's 123 W/48" deck
169871.jpg

Scott's 123 carbon
169872.jpg

Scott's 123 linkage (and, yes, it is bent)
"tho the 123 may not be rare, they're special"

Frank, Thanks for posting those pics for me!
greenthumb.gif

As for the engine numbers and serial number on the tractor here goes!
K301AS #CO45353 Spec# 4759B is what was on the engine plate, and the serial number of the tractor itself is #213219. It has the dipstick in the top of the engine like the later K's have, none on the side. I hope this helps!

I saw sometime over the week some question(s) regarding snow plowing and tires. I had the same questions a couple months ago and found these tires on the big auction site for 40 bucks. As far as I know they are from a crapsman snowblower.

169876.jpg

169877.jpg

Don T., Hook it to your truck and take it for a ride. Make sure it still trails good. Also see if you can take it to a bodyshop. They may see more that its wrong with and give you a price to fix it. If I were you I would keep looking. You should be able to find one without damage.

Scott if you have one dipstick thats a long tube at the front of the engine. That dipstick goes through the area that the balance gears would be. I'll bet you don't have them.
Mike. there is some argument that if your running ag tires as steering tires you should run them backwards. The tread was designed to "pull" if their getting pushed the tread tends to fill up easyer.

This followed me home this week. Another 102, somewhere along the line a PO put in a 12 HP power plant.

169881.jpg

Dave Ross,
Mike. there is some argument that if your running ag tires as steering tires you should run them backwards. The tread was designed to "pull" if their getting pushed the tread tends to fill up easyer.

Dave and Mike let me say why I disagree with the above statement.
When bar tread tires are mounted correctly, as the wheel turns the tread self cleans itself on the backside. If you reverse their mounting the self cleaning action will be on the front. Which you will run over again and defeat the whole purpose of self cleaning.

RICHARD - Ag tires really don't "Self Clean". Mud & dirt either sticks or it doesn't, Like several others here I've spent thousands of thousands of hours on farm tractors and have seen this first hand.

Reason the lugged tires need to be mounted backwards when in a non-drive application is so the lugs wear properly. Being in a steering application makes this more important. Frankly, I think the lugged tires on the frt of a non-FWA tractor look kinda dumb really. I like the 3-rib frts, and Really like the Vredestein 4-rib V-61's.

Back