• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 17, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KENDELL = I'm about as good at blowing holes thru steel with MIG as I was with ARC. Only difference is they're much easier to patch with MIG that they were with ARC.

I keep tryng to weld WAY too thin of steel most of the time. Welding .060" or less thk steel with .035" wire You have to pay attention to what Your doing. If I did it more frequently it wouldn't be a problem.

John Turner, here is a wiring diagram for an Original and a photo of my Original for you to compare your tractor to. Please note that the fenders, wheel weights, and headlights were optional.

169501.jpg

169502.jpg

Bruce-
I've done the JB weld trick like Kraig says to keep those tubes in the steering-gear-box, but I also stake them in with a couple of pop rivets for good measure.

Sounds like Scotts idea might be better though...
happy.gif

You guys got any ideas on how to seal the muffler joint where it meets the exaust elbow? I've got a leak there and I think it's blowing exaust fumes into the carb. I thought about just simply putting exaust putty around the inside and then putting it back together.
uhoh.gif
dunno.gif
ihrotate.gif

lost my post, any input on the hydro relief valves. my 169 i just restored is in to a shop for carb adjustment and they said my relief valves were cleaned and I need new ones, because they stick stick bad. any help would be appreciated. I will post before and after pics soon

OK thanks allen. Thats what I figured. How do you know if relief valves are bad? My 147 moves just fine normally but I can move it< like nuetral, when it's not running. Secondly, a month ago I was working on a large stone retaining wall and using my cub with a five foot,small cargo trailer. Had it loaded with about 1000 pounds of stone blocks. As I was backing down a hill the trannie let go as if it were in nuetral. Scared the crap out of me! I pushed the hydro lever almost all the way forward before it finally grabbed and slowed down. I dont guess this is a good thing! LMAO LIke I said, I can push the tractor around the garage without it running...Yuppers, I dont think this is a good thing...Other than that the hydro trannie works just fine, cuttig grass, moving mulch ect. I pulled my friends Ford 250 4 wheel drive out of mud before, so I didnt think 1000 pounds was anything to pull...
bash.gif
wedgie.gif

Tim T., pulling 1000lbs and stopping 1000lbs are two different things...
icon_eek.gif

James S. Go to the FAQ's then click on Charlies FAQ's read # 55 and 55a. They tell you how to solve your problem. I have done a couple sets myself so I have no idea how much labor would be. The O rings were less than a dollar if my memory is right. This may be a golden opportunity to call on a mechanically talented friend who may have a lathe and a welder.

James S.: I'm curious. If the 169 was in for a carb adjustment, how'd they happen to get at the relief valves? Manual relief valves are no problem to get the stickiness out of -- with the engine running you can work penetrating oil into the little nub on top and keep working it down and up. If they have to come out you can push up on the little ball in the bottom with something like the plastic straw that comes on most cans of penetrating oil. Sticking is much better than leaking!
happy.gif

Got in a little seat time gathering hay bails this morning.
169516.jpg

does anyone know the difference between a 50A and a 50C ih mowing deck? and is there a way to tell build date from the serial number on the decks,blowers,tillers???

I rescued two cubs from a farm field today for 175$ "relocating fee" one is a 129 june of 74 and a 108 june of 73 both need TLC.I really only wanted the hydro but it was a package deal. both had decks but are beyond TLC
169523.jpg

169524.jpg

169525.jpg

169526.jpg

169527.jpg

Matt should i run the 3/8 belt or 5/8 ?? i have a 50c deck on my 1200 and also use it on a 128 and soon to be 129.

Jeff A belt pulls on the sides. If you run a 3/8 pulley with a 5/8 belt it will only catch a little of the V in the pulley and you'll wreck the belt in a little bit of time. Same with to narrow a belt in a wider pulley. Change the center double pulley on the deck to the 3/8 pulley, and put it on any tactor you have in your profile.

jeff, that deck you pictured looks to be in good shape... the one i got with my 149 project looks way worse.. the whole backside it pretty much gone... but i plan on getting the time to fix it... in my mind as long as the spindels are good its a usable deck! you better not scrap em... if i were closed i would come take them off your hands!

Lonny, What part of the state do you live? We cut our 3rd crop about 2 weeks ago and we live in the SE "corner"

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions on making my steering column on my 129 "hydro lift ready". I decided to use the rivet method. The top bushing was riveted into place already, so I decided to just rivet the bottom as shown below.

169533.jpg

Latest posts

Back