• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 01, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry.gif

Charlie,

although I would like to have a gear drive, my inquiry was also for finding out why some prefer gear drives over hydros, and narrow frames over wide frames. Then there are those that like wide frames, but not the quiet lines with the iso mounts. I'm curious as to why people prefer one type over another.
To my limited experience, these questions have merit in choosing what tractor would be best for plowing, or tilling, or pushing\blowing snow.
Then next comes the question about whether or not a hydraulic lift is beneficial for that application. Mowing the yard,and mine tends to run about 6 acres, doesn't seem to need a hydraulic lift for that. I couldn't possibly have to lift the deck that often during mowing.
So my post was for fact finding more than anything else.
What tractors do you prefer for different applications and why?

Brad,
I can think of why someone might prefer one of the other when it comes to gear versus hydro, but I also would like to hear why some would choose narrow frame over wide frame and vice versa. Or why some would choose the quiet lines or the 82 series or......Good question(s).

I figured out the problem I was having with my 100 not wanting to start.
After swaping starters from a different cub, I still had the same problem, no spin of the starter.
Took the battery out nad took it to town to have it load tested.
It was so bad it would not read on thier meter, no wonder it would not spin over the starter.
$50 and 2 hours later the 100 was back up and running with a new battery in it.

Anyone,
What Cub Cadet tractors do you prefer and why?
Do you have particular tractors that you set up to use with certain attachments? Do you prefer Gear drives over hydros? Why?
Just trying to wrap my mind around all the differences and make an educated response to whether or not I actually need a gear drive or will my 1450 do it all with all implements.
My friend tells me I need a gear drive to till with, because a tiller would push the hydro tractor around. Is this true?
TIA
Brad

Terry-

I've had nearly everything, and I gravitate to 82 series tractors because they are easy to work on, smooth, and powerful. Narrowframes are more difficult to do driveshaft work on. I am very tall, and I don't fit well on narrowframe tractors very well.

I prefer gear drives for ground-engaging implements, as it's easy to maintain constant speed.

For snow removal and mowing, I prefer hydros, due to maneuverability and hydraulic lift for raising and lowering heavy snowthrowers.

I can't stand QLs because they are expensive to get back into good shape if they have been the slightest bit neglected, and you can never get rid of all the rattles. Every one I have had has had ill-fitting side panels...not one 82 series tractor I've had exhibited this problem.

I prefer 82 series. Tell your friend you don't NEED a gear drive for tilling but I can say it may be a preference.

brad rainey,
Your 1450 will do it all. I'm trying to think of more, but no that's it. It will do everything.

Brad, I second everything Matt said except the 82 thing I've never owned an 82. I love everthing about my 72 with a creeper. It's not as tall as my 149/1250, not as important now I'm in town but I used to mow a heck of a bank. With a ten horse it blew all my snow just fine. It's just handier.

Thanks to everyone who sent manuals, advice and general support during my repeated pleas for help with the 128! I have finally found out why the plug was not firing consistently and I could not get past an idle. I happened to stop by a place about 30 miles from my house, there's an old-timer there who fixes & sells old Cubs. It took him about 3 seconds to figure out what the problem was: the condenser was on the wrong side of the coil. A forehead-slapper, to be sure
happy.gif
It runs better than it ever has, and I've got a new place to go shopping for cub parts and advice. Thanks again, all!
- Mike

I have had my 1A tiller with both extensions on my 129 and 106. It does tend to push the 129 more than the 106 in hard ground but for working the ground up for planting a garden, the 129 would go slower and make the ground to almost a powder for good contact with the seeds. Also the hydraulic lift on the 129 sure was nice. As for mowing, I will take my hydros any day. Snow throwing is hydro only with it's infinite speeds. Front blades can be used on either gear or hydro for me. I also prefer using a good, tight hydro for plowing. You can always find the right speed for the conditions. My 1650 loves to go around 4.5-5 mph(or faster if needed) when plowing which is faster than 2nd gear in almost all gear drives.

Back