Archive through October 08, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmeyer

displayname
Brett Meyer
Hello all. i have been signed up for awhile reading, and utilizing the site for info. i purchased a 1980 IH 782 and just finished the restoration.
179194.jpg

Matt:
The valve/valve seat issue is an impact, rather than friction problem. The valves literally pound themselves into the seats, leaving a groove on the valve face and flattening the seat, which, if the seats aren't replaceable, leaves you with a recessed seat by the time you've got it cleaned up. The deposit left by the burning of the TEL was the cushion. I wonder if recession was/is a problem on engines with valve rotators... This is not to say that on the much higher octane av gases, that more lead was put in also for lubrication - but I'm not sure where in the intake, combustion chamber, exhaust path there were friction areas lubricated by lead, except the valve stems, maybe??
confused.gif

Cory,
Yes, the same basic engine (different oil fill, dipstick and oil pan)was used on the models 70, 71, 72, 73 and they had the dry filter as in your picture.

KENDELL - Valve rotators are common in more severe duty engines. They probably don't eliminate valve wear & seat recession but they do help a lot. I kept the rotators on both valves in my K321.

MATT - Typo's were somewhat common in lots of IH publications. Most of them I've seen were in printed matter on specifications like that. The important stuff like clearances & other spec's were generally all accurate.

Kraig; "HVC550"

You loaded the same form that I was looking at when the question came to mind. If "you" guys don't know, it must be a "non issue" or maybe as Matt suggested, a typo.....but it was shown in some form on all the models listed.

Kraig I work on the 109 last night and Thanks to your input on the hydro lever info my 109 is working great now. THANK YOU I also have a Question on my 109 my 109 has a 14hp motor in it and it is Black the only info I can fine is on the front cover is says 14hp Cast Iron Line all of the info I have read says it should have a 10hp motor in it does this make it kind of like a 149 or something. just a though.

How do I access the archives from the 'pulling and hot rodding' topic?

I looked in the "vault" but the pages aren't marked as to which topic they are from.

I'd like to look back through the old posts since I'm working on building a puller.

Todd, best way I can think of to find them is to look at the "post" column in the vault, the main forum typically has 50 posts per archive and the "IH Cub Cadet Pulling and Hot Rodding" forum has 40 posts per archive.

Willis, sounds like you have a 14hp replacement engine in your 109. Good to hear you have the hydro lever fixed up.
happy.gif

Does any body have a Picture of there the brake pedal return spring goes on a 109, any help would be greatful.

Just for giggles, I googled "HVC" and in an acronym site, it returned a possible definition as a "High Velocity Cannon"

flame.gif
Shotgun.gif

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

HVC
Acronym Definition
HVC Haifa Verification Conference
HVC High Velocity Cloud (galactic cloud made of mostly atomic hydrogen)
HVC Holographic Versatile Card (digital storage medium)
HVC Hue-Value-Chroma
HVC Hidden Valley Camp (Granite Falls, Washington)
HVC Higher Vocal Center (brain region)
HVC Hudson Valley Council (New York)
HVC Home Video Computer (Nintendo)
HVC Hearing and Vision Connections
HVC High Voltage Capacitor
HVC Heart Vascular Center
HVC Hyper-Velocity Cannon
HVC High-Value Criminal
HVC Herp Vet Connection
HVC High Value Compound
HVC High Voltage Condenser
HVC Handbal Vereniging Compas
HVC Huntsville Voice Control
HVC Hayden's Viburnum Compound (herbal remedy)
HVC High Valley Camp
HVC Harvest Valley Computer (Homeland, CA)

Ok you guys, where are you all getting those nice seats for the cubs at? I need one for mine.
dunno.gif
noshare.gif

Hey guys. I wanted to share with you my solution for lack of traction and over priced wheel weights. This is a 160 pound block of concrete fastened to the frame. It is removeable. Certainly hope it works!
179240.jpg

179241.jpg

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) . I do have apicture handy of the 129 .
guitarist.gif
Wife will be back to work next week and then the big finish lol. Later Don T
179244.jpg

old.gif

Brett M.

Your 782 looks great, I have a 682 I picked up this summer and hope it turns out as nice as yours.

Randy

Mike P.
My dad used to work for Cummins, and his last major project before he retired in 1993 was to set up the Onan shop in Harrisburg PA shortly after Cummins acquired them. At the time I was lacking steady employment, so he put me to work doing a bit of everything, from painting to setting up computers, assembling and stocking steel shelves, to fabricating wiring harnesses for portable generators that went onto utility trucks. The Onans might have had tiny oil filters, but they had pressurized lubrication and were durable and reliable, albeit expensive little engines.

I was stuck at work till 8:30 this evening, this afternoon around 4 my 8 year old daughter called me to tell me my tires were at the house! That really made me not want to be at work!! I wont even be able to put them on till Tuesday! aaarrrggggg! Any way I do need to put in some valve stems and have been in a debate with myself about which ones I want to use. So I thought I would throw it up here and get all your opinions. Should I go with the run of the mill rubber ones or should I go with the metal ones, the kind that "bolt" on (into?) to the rim? Any help with this would be awesome! Thanks ahead.

Latest posts

Back