• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 25, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nic B - HEY!!!! - you said "you come rain on the encouragement party" well you're lucky I didn't throw out a Thunder Storm!!! And while I'm at it, I see David K did have to remove the thrower from the tractor. I didn't see any advantage at all in leaving the thrower mounted to the tractor. You'd have to be somewhat of a contortionist to remove the 2 plates where the gear box mounts and slides. Don't recall if you have to remove the adjustment lever assembly held on with that king nut and cotter pin, but that can be a pain sometimes as well. Why not just remove the thrower from the tractor and turn it 90degrees so the gear box is directly upright? And yes, I've gone thru at least a dozen of these gear boxes. They're actually pretty simple once you've done it, and take care doing it.

Now, I'm wondering if David K. figured out he doesn't want to drive the shafts "inward" as he said. You want to remove the snap ring and drive the shaft for the small gear outwards. If you drive it in you'll be driving the rusty shaft into the box risking the rust jamming it up. The shaft will also have marks from the set screws which are like burrs and will lock the shaft on the bearings. Really need to drive the shafts outwards. Once you've got the small gear off and out then the large gear will come off and out quite easily after removing the snap ring.

David K - geez, you're really lucky it was just a sheared key. Hope the shaft itself is still ok. Please fill us in on how you did your repair. With your snow situation I assume you're anxious to get it operational again and you didn't go thru the entire box. I was hoping you would go thru it completely and discover what I think is somewhat of an engineering design defect. There is really no way the outer bearings gets grease. It's basically sealed off from the inner box grease. There is room where the outer bearing is located for grease to sit but no way for you to replace the grease without removing the inner bearing and shaft. Some of the boxes I've had apart have had all dried up grease where the outer bearing is located. It might be from sitting along time - just not sure. Hope you'll give us your thoughts on this.

Oh, had a message from Mike H up in the Buffalo NY area. Here's a couple pics of how things are looking for him.

Happy Thanksgiving.

292409.jpg

292410.jpg

Mike H's setup is pretty sweet there! I almost wish I was up there with something like that. If you chew yourself out of the driveway, you could do some serious good will hitting the neighbors houses.

i`an not ready for all that white stuf here yet; I sure hope it waites a few nore weeks before we get any.

I would like to get a clarification on the wiring on my new regulator. I think I will run a wire back to the regulator from the opposite post from the wire that comes from the starter gen . The heavy wire not the field wire. I want to get the 149 charging today . that info will let me get-er-done. thanks Don T

Trust me guys, you wuoldn't want to be here. 13 died in this storm! While the cub was running, three people were useing roof rakes to get the five plus feet of snow off my the roofs. The garage to the right and across the street in the picture collapesed with a woosh. I glad its over, and winter hasn't even started acording calinder.

Dave K , another grease option I've used is Farm Oyl, Fluid Gear Grease part # 901925. that I got at local CaseIH dealer in squeeze quart.... Service Motor Fondy?

I'm not sure if HYDRO Harry will be happy or not, but I think I used Hy-Tran in the gearbox of my QA-36. It's thin enough it will flow when it's cold.

NO WAY would I use grease, in spite of what the manual says.

Dennis, Dennis, Dennis - I don't approve or dis-approve of things on here, I just voice (write) my opinion or feelings, etc. Actually I hardly ever dis-agree with you, even tho you probably think me and about everyone else does. As for using HyTran in the gear box, I don't see why not. I doubt that gear box gets hot in the winter and that's why I always wondered about using grease in it as the instructions noted. I'm going to refer back to Charlie's suggestion at some time, and I think maybe even in an FAQ, where he suggested half grease and half gear oil. So Dennis in your case, half grease and half HyTran. I still don't think the grease or oil will flow to the outer bearing, and I'm hoping David K will pipe in with an opinion.

Mike H - you know it's a long weekend so make sure you take your time getting that snow moved off the driveway. Glad to hear you had some help getting off your roof. Now that is where time can be critical.

Well ole Don T - I'd sure like to help with your electrical charging problem, but to be honest I really can't understand what you're saying. Maybe its your accent or something but just don't get what it is you're suggesting you're gonna do.

Latest posts

Back