• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 25, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John G.
Sounds to me like you might have put the locking retainer on wrong if it came loose on ya.
23416.jpg

Charlie, I followed the service manual, but does the retainer just slide over the bearing? I see there's a little egg shaped, off center, tappered action going on here between the retainer and bearing, but is that all that holds it? Engine rotation I suppose helps hold it together.
Thank's
John

John,
Yepper, that's all that holds it. The only way that it would not hold it would be if you turned the locking collar the wrong way and tightened it up or the end of the crank is messed up.

(Message edited by cproctor on November 26, 2004)

Thank's Charlie!
I've been meaning to ask, how do you keep all these images you post? Do you have everything pre-scanned or do you scan as you go? How do you keep it all organized?
Have any snow down there yet to move? Just wet in the Cities.
John

John
About 90% of what I have comes from our illustrious and renowned "Keeper of the Photo's" Kraig McConaughey has saved over the years and put on CD's, and I have those CD's. He's spent many many hours putting together all the information that has been posted on here as well as information that has yet to be seen.
Sooooo, if you evewr run across anything that you think might help someone out down the road, Let us know so it can be scanned or photographed for future reference. ;-P
My stuff is far from organized, but I'm gettin there.
No snow down this way, just rain, sigh!

(Message edited by cproctor on November 26, 2004)

Thanks for the quick response all.

So this ignition coil, i'm assuming that is the rather large cylinder, and I'm also assuming I'm gonna have to spend money. Dang.

The manual from Kohler is proving useful, does Kohler still use this engine in new tractors?

Digger bring a snow relocation device

JohnG a condenser isn't *said to extend the life of a plug* (unhook it and see if it fires up) unless you're hearing little voices that I wouldn't let anyone know about ;) they store the voltage from the battery to then be discharged to fire the coil when the points open , and they are a "severe duty" type of capacitor. In a pinch I have used mylar capacitors.

Zac yes Kohler still builds "newer versions" (EPA enhanced
sad.gif
) and yes you'll need a coil WITH A BUILT IN RESISTOR hooked up in the right orientation (see Charlie's diagram) to run your cub. Wether you have to buy it or borrow it or steal it or ....

Hey Ken, The line was "to extend the life of the POINTS"
bash.gif

Which I always understood it was for. Helps keep the arcing down when they open. AFAIK everything would run just fine without it. Of course it wouldn't be the first time I misunderstood something.
happy.gif

John

Is it at all possible to start the mower without the ignition coil but with the condenser, or even get it to turn over a few times? What if you jumped it?

My friend claims he got it to go just a bit when he hooked it up to a car, which for some odd reason sounds dangerous.

Will the "OE Kohler coil (231281-S/4151921-S) battery ignitions. " at http://ccspecialties.org/electrical.html serve the purpose? Does it have the built in resistor?

Please don't tell me I got to get the much more exspensive KT17 ignition coil.

Hey all, hope everyone had a fine Thanksgiving

This Cub was made by neither IH nor MTD, but by Rolly

23423.jpg

My parents gave it to Jack for his 2nd birthday. I do believe he loves it!

23424.jpg

My original and 108 waited 30-40 years for restoration, they can wait a bit more while I enjoy this little guy. Meanwhile, the 127 just gets worked and worked, and doesn't complain.

Are the cub cadet tillers that attach to the sleeve hitch useful or are they one of internationals overrated expensive attachments Thanks Tyler

Zach,
Tell your buddy he's an idiot! Not gonna happen, no way no how!
The OE on Travis's page means Original Equipment, and that means it will work!

Tyler T.
"overrated expensive attachments"
Name One! I'm listenin.

If you have the need for a tiller and own a Cub, It's the best investment other than the tractor that you can make!
23426.jpg

Thanks I guess I'll get it then
Pretty much useless attachment- My rear P.T.O.

Tyler,
Just quit yer bitchin and go buy the Reverser that goes on that rear PTO so you can do somethin with it!
beerchug.gif

Digger could you please post some pictures/ schematics of how that tiller hooks up Thanks

Back