• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 04, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve-
How's your WIDE blade for your 169 working? I'm ditching the snowthrower for tomorrows' forecast storm and putting on the 54" blade. Have you run into traction problems yet?

Scott-
I'm anti-spoiler, at speeds under 140 most vehicles get a low pressure area that a cosmetic wing makes worse; so came the bubble hatch (that I'm actively looking for) that improved the drag coefficient by almost 20%, I think it was developed by Roush, who campaigned that chassis for years even beyond production.

Kraig, thanks for the picture. Your tractor looks like a real class act. I was wondering what is the best way to re-attach the PTO lever to the dash tower on my 70 and does anyone have the blow up and parts list to the hydraulic lift for a 70. I'm starting to get the itch for one and want to start acquiring the parts. Thanks for your help.

Okay Don Vogt, I'll bite....

No ! I don't believe You !!! Next thing you'll be telling me you can cut grass... Never Mind..

Lost my dialup connection, see next post.
Since we're talking Jeeps...

(Message edited by jlang on February 04, 2004)

15588.jpg

Since we're talking Jeeps...
Here's mine. I like to drive it home beause it's so little and it leaves more room in the shed for my other stuff!
happy.gif

15589.jpg

Just finished putting a new TFX Performance Kat-Back performance muffler and tailpipe system on it this week! It's much more quiet than I thought it would be!
happy.gif

John W.: Here is the parts break down of the hydrulic lift. Don't ask what it cost!
15592.jpg

Wyatt,

WIDE blade is great...only problems so far are with the 1/2 worn out skid feet....now they are all the way worn out and somewhere around the neighborhood there are 2 metal "rings" with jagged holes worn out of the middle of them!!!!

The blade works great and the 169 handles it with ease. I was rolling snow 8"-10" deep across 3/4 of the 58" moldboard riding a windrow the other night while cleaning up the edge of the road infront of my property (village can't figure out how to plow a country road.....one pass down each lane with a 9' Meyer don't cut it out in the wind!!!....heaven forbid you get within 3' of the ditch...) I actually pulled the 16hp down some moving that much snow, but the rear end was hooked up and she kept on eatin'!!

Traction is great with fluid filled Titan 10.50 tires, one set of IH wheel weights, 100# of NQS weights, and 2 link chains. Only traction concerns are with the front end up against a tall windrow. Did find out that you can't hit deep snow at full angle quite as hard with the WIDE blade......makes for a "glancing blow" at best, but with the blade straight it's a beast!!!!!

Art,

On the weight rack I made for the lower 3pt. bracket......I have one for each snow removal machine, tucks the weights in close, right behind the drawbar and between the rear wheels.

So, you guys like Jeeps also!
I've been into Jeeps longer than Cubs.
About 15 years ago Dad's driveway had a '79 J2000 pickup, 82' Ckerikee, '85 Cherikee, and '74 CJ5.
I don't think there's a bolt on a Jeep that my brother and I have not turned. They are fun toys!
15598.jpg

I didn't mention the specs on the CJ5 in the last posting.
It's a 1974. It has a full fiberglass body from AJ's near Jersey Shore, PA. We fabricated a 6 point roll cage to the frame. The frame was reinforced along both rails with 1/8" steel. It has a 3 inch suspension lift and 3 inch body lift. 33-12.50 Super Swamper tires. About 50 miles on the rebuilt 304 engine. We added headers and a Predator carb. Fiberglass Baja Bucket seats. Custom electrical system is all on a panel that opens where the glove box should be, keeps everything up out of the water.
This rig has been in mud holes were the water was running in the door openings. It has never been stuck. I have alot of pics, but not handy. If anyone wants to see, let me know. Some need scanned.

When I decided to build my flamecutter (which is almost finished), not only was I going to use it for dual wheel adapter hubs, but I was going to use it to cut out suitcase weights (Like the ones Travis has for sale from time to time), but now that I have started construction on my cupola furnace, I think that I will just pour the suitcase weights as well (42 lbs and 10 lbs).

Ryan-lets try to get together before the "big day".

John W., thanks for the nice comments, however that is Steve Blunier's 100 not mine.

John W., what happened to the PTO lever on your 70 that it needs to be reattached?

How much weight can you have on the rear before you have bearing problems? Do you need chains if you run ag tires? (for snow plowing)

Paul-
Everyone finds their own best setup. My preference (Cub Cadet 169) is 6-12 ag tires full of fluid with 50# on each wheel, also run tri-rib front tires at max PSI (for steering ease with blower attached). Until this year I ran five 45# weights on the back similar to Steve's location. No bearing problems and no traction problems. I've run chains before and on ice they're great, but I've got a gravel drive so I just use ags.

Kraig, I had a 86 Mercury Capri with the stock 302 in it. Quite a quick car!!! The only thing that wasnt fun with that car is it used METRIC size tires. They were very exspensive and after I burnt out the first set I just sold the car.
To keep on topic, my cub has mice living in it! The little s---s stuck up the flywheel with twigs and such and I now need to pull the engine to clean it all out! Dang cub wont start now with all of that junk in it.

Latest posts

Back