• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 03, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Biggest problem I have pushing snow when it's cold is to keep my feet and hands warm. Everything I touch is cold cast iron and steel, and soon my hands & feet get cold. I've tried sliding those little hand warmer packets inside my gloves, they help some but really don't work that well, have to put them on the backs of my hands and they don't keep my fingers warm at all. I have a BIG pair of insulated leather mittens but I can't really see being able to run my tractor while wearing those.

I did find my felt liners for my pack boots yesterday and my better pair of leather gloves so hopefully I can stay warmer longer.

Keeping the cold air off your head & neck is 90% of the battle keeping your body warm, hooded sweat shirt works good for that. I've considered investing in pairs of electric socks & gloves, and even putting side curtains on my #1 snow mover to let some of the warmer air from the engine blow back around me. I haven't moved forward with that because to make it immune to cross winds nad be really effective would require it to block so much of the view of the frt & sides of my tractor. And having a rear curtain would block my view to the back.

My normal snow clearing time is 30 to 45 minutes, longest it's ever taken was less than 2 hrs for the "Storm of the Century" Feb. 1st of '11. I had 2-3 foot tall drifts in frt of both garage doors that I had to pull back with my big blade. Added lots of time the way it was packed in.

Dennis, I'm not sure about BIG leather mittens, but I use the same mittens I used to ski in the Rockies with. Gordini Aquabloc: http://gordini.com/gloves-mittens/aquabloc-down-gauntlet-ii-mitt/

They are very soft and pliable. I hardly notice I don't have individual fingers. I've been using them for 7 years and have never had water on the inside. They do get wet, just not all the way through. I could ski for hours with these babies. A 2 hrs plow sessions is nothing. My back and butt are sore before my hands are cold.

Feet are a little harder, but I HAD a nice pair of Columbia sub-zero boots that would go about 2-3 hours before my feet were cold. But I finally blew out the stitching and I miss them dearly.

Finally for you guys with cold feet. You might look into to new WOOL socks, like brand SmartWool or something made of merino wool. They are usually about $15-20 a pair, but man... What a difference. And the thing about them is they are machine washable. Not like the old wool socks that got all stinky.

More on topic (and I hope Marlin's not reading) we are supposed to get 6-9" of snow with a high of like 6*. Windchill down to -20.
The 782 and plow with be back on call, waiting in the heated house garage. I might even break out the ski goggles if needed.
I'm off to get groceries and a few cans of gas. Can do much plowing without either. BTDT...

Dennis: Go to a snowmobile dealer and get some clothes designed for sledding. Boots can be rated to -100, mitts and suits good for sub 0 F temperatures. This stuff won't be cheap but you do want to stay warm, right? If you layer with cotton, keep it for summer. Get polar fleece or wool. Advice from a Canadian snowmobiler.

I did have a pair of Pack Boots (I think that's what they're called) with the removable felt liners and they were terrific! I need to find another pair and soon! LOL..

I also think if the temps hadn't been so low, like single numbers! I would've been a lot better off. It's still as cold now but I'm staying in and it doesn't look like any melting is going on yet! Tomorrow is supposed to get into the 30's so I'll do some touch up / clean up then.

One of my neighbors asked me again what year the 73 was built, I said 1970! He smiled and said something like "that's amazing"....

I posted this photo of my snow removal attire last year. The snowmobile suit was my fathers, it's from Montgomery Wards from the early 1970's. The leather boots are 1990's vintage Thinsulate insulated from Cabela's. The gloves are just non-insulated leather work gloves from Menard's. If it's real cold I might change up to a pair of insulated work gloves. The hat is a "Stormy Kromer" style insulated buffalo plaid hat with ear flaps that I bought back in the late 1970's at a store that used to be in Stillwater, MN called "<strike>Stillwater</strike> St. Croix Outfitters" Good thing I don't live in town where people could see me, they might think I'm odd.
icon_rolleyes.gif
facepalm.gif
You all probably already think (or know...
dunno.gif
) I'm odd.
lol.gif
But at least I stay warm and comfy.
proud.gif

266277.jpg

EDIT: I knew "Stillwater Outfitters" didn't sound right and it's been bugging me ever since I posted it. I finally remembered
old.gif
the actual name of the store was St. Croix Outfitters. Sadly they went out of business several years back.

I wear my insulated waterproof Redwing work shoes and regular Sox. My feet never get cold. My 38 year old coil on my 1250 went out yesterday. Good thing the 47 year old coil from my 122 I have apart still works fine. Kraig-I had a suit exactly like that back in the day.

Kraig

whatever works. No need for hypothermia when we are out enjoying our cubs.

Kraig, I think there is a part of your attire keeping you warm you forgot to mention.

It's called a Windbreaker and it was manufactured by IH back in the 70's also.

10-12 " of snow coming tonight with dropping temps and strong winds. Blizzard warnings already started here. Cub is fueled up and waiting in the garage.Now all I can do is sit and wait to go play tomorrow and Monday
happy.gif

I had to laugh when I went to get a few groceries in case we do get snowed in and the store was bare at Meijers. I just couldnt believe how everyone was just randomly grabbing things dumping them in the carts.

The good news is they didnt even touch the chefboyaredee or spaghetti-o's. I also grabbed some soup so I dont have to stand in the soup line . I got my box of chocolates and MtDew so im now a happy gal..lol

Latest posts

Back