• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 04, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff, yeah I hated those TRX tires/wheels. I hated the look of the wheels too, so I painted the centers of them black on mine. Big improvement if I do say so myself.

I think it's finally time for a carb rebuild on my #2 125. There is a bunch of slop in the throttle shaft and the high speed jet won't stay adjusted. I think the tension spring is weak. Any hints for the best way to properly clean the carb? And as long as I'll have the carb off, any hints for the best way to prep and repaint one? The rest of the Cub will have to wait for a repaint though.

Kraig,
The one gallon can of Gunk (I beleive) works good. Just drop it in the included basket, and let it soak for a day or so. Throttle shaft fix is easy as well. Why do you want to paint the carb?

OK at half throttle , no weights , no chains , Only the addition of 20 foot cutter bars!

Tom, thanks for the suggestion. As for why paint, I'd like to someday refurbish the 125, I have to start somewhere and if I have the carb off and clean, I figure why not give it a coat of shiny yellow paint. It might inspire me to to get ambitious and redo the whole Cub collection. :eek:)

Paul A.:
Thanks for asking the question (about how much weight you can put on a draw bar). I've been wondering the samee thing myself. I have a box mounted on the back of my 124 with concrete in it.

Wyatt:
Thanks for the answer.

Steve B.:
Do you have any pics of the weight rack without the suitcase weights on it? (If you don't mind sharing the invention. . .) Are those the 9lb weights from Super Cub?

Kraig-
My vote would be would be to leave the carb bare aluminum. Makes for easier adjusting IMHO as you're not trying to turn the needles through paint and such. Not to mention that the paint tends to flake off anyway.

If you remember the carb on the Plow Special when it got rebuilt, they clean up pretty nice with paint stripper.

Got a picture of that 125 carb?...I don't remember it looking that bad...
;-)

BTW...I'd like to hear what you guys are paying for a gallon of carb cleaner with the basket inside. Local NAPA wants $48 a can!
eek.gif

Steve-
I'd like to see that bracket drawing (again) too, please.

(Message edited by aaytay on February 05, 2004)

Art, here's the drawing of Steve's weight bracket.
15604.jpg

And here's a photo of it empty.
15605.jpg

125 carb photo to follow.

Oh, come on Don! Do you really expect us to believe that?
shame.gif

At best a 71 at 1/2 throttle is only gonna' blow that much snow
to Lake Ontario and not clear to the Atlantic!
wink.gif
err.gif

Art, ya know what, on second thought the paint might not be in that bad of condition under all the dirt and grime. :eek:)

15607.jpg

15608.jpg

Art, yeah, and check out the rust on the heat shield above the muffler and head. It was that way when I got it folks!!! The #1 125 is much nicer rust wise, but it has a nearly equal layer of oily dirt.

Thanks everybody for the good information. Kraig, the bolt for the pto lever fell out a few weeks ago, what is the best way to re-fasten it back to the dash tower. I work construction and live in the northeast so now that I have time off I want to iron out any problems with my 70 now so come spring time I'm ready to go.

Kraig-
You may want to check somewhere other than our local NAPA as I was just in there late last week and it's $48/gal.

Checker Auto?...Fleet Farm?
I'm inclined to think that Fleet Farm would only have the aerosol cans.

Art- Advance auto has Gunk carb cleanser with the basket. $7.70 a gallon. Works great.

For whatever it's worth . . .
In a pinch I've used Castrol Super Clean 50/50 with hot water (straight from the water heater) and it seemed to work fine.

Art- NAPA must see you coming a mile away to charge that much for carb cleaner. I think I paid around $20 a gallon and I have 2 sitting in the garage and I didn't get a fancy basket so I pour it in a coffee can and put the carb in for the "dunk" and then put on my chemical gloves and fish it all out and scrub it all with soapy water and an old toothbrush just the way the local cub dealer taught me when I worked for him one summer a few years back.

Kraig - I also wonder why paint the carb if the tractor is a "worker"?? You do need to adjust them periodicly.

Art,
Come on down! The price is right. I'll let you have my can of carb cleaner for $40. It goes for about $15 a cna at Farm and Fleet.

Back