• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 25, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bruce gets the quote of the day.....

"but I think his brain works kind of like the secondary ignition circuit he was describing. Something triggers it, and everything is discharged at once."

I was thinking the same thing after reading that post.....

It's been said:
"but I think his brain works kind of like the secondary ignition circuit he was describing. Something triggers it, and everything is discharged at once."
That maybe true,
biggrin.gif
but I've been in electronics for way too many years and this is the first time I reeealy understand what that cap is for and how it works. It all makes sense now.
Thanks Dave!

John

Ah Im not realy a newby.
original-1962-restored
original-1963-restored
70-parts
123-restored
105-restored
154 lowboy-biggest overrated piece of junk international made-geared w/ cub cadet gears but the tires are about 3 times too big (needs an M & W 9 speed haha)even with a low hour engine it ain't got the umpth to be pull a 5 ft deck
129-worker-rebuilt motor
782-imaculant shape, worker- has a rare PECO catcher too, low hours too (on both)

I've also owned-
2 1450- my mowin machines
128- had creeper
129- extra for parts

Speekin of 9 speed, how many of those 9c are floatin around anybody got a guess

Tyler not many of those M&W 9 speeds.I built one around one had it for a while and sold it to Willie D .I have seen a few at Red Power Roundups but have never seen one restored like the one I had.Very rare.

Thanks Dave,

I guess what I'm worried about when calling smallengine warehouse to find out what engines will fit is that they might tell you a certain engine will fit but takes a torch & major sheet metal work to get it in there just to sell an engine. I want a drop-in, more or less, also I believe in the old cast iron type more than the alum./steel cyl. jobs. I like the weight & durability. I'm not familiar enough with the KT17's to even know if any are cast iron.
Anyway, I'll browse the website & see what I can learn.

Thanks

John G,
You're right, he gave a great explanation. I can't give him a hard time, because I know some of my posts have been head-scratchers, too. Depends on the day. If I ever posted just after I got out of bed, nobody would understand it, including myself.

All this talk about snow, I'm getting ready for my first winter with my cub. I read some time ago on here that the QA42A snow thrower will work on a 782. Mine has the straight bars and I guess it's suppose to have curved bars. mine seems to work just fine but seems to be awfully close to the grill when it is up in the air. Are the curved bars longer to keep the thrower further away from the grill? Also can someone tell me how high the thrower should be off the ground? I mesured mine at 5" but I cant remember off hand where I took the mesurement from!
bash.gif
I'm just worried about getting hung up on the end of my driveway were I come off the street. Its a bigger incline than normal. I see that the thrower won't tip back either to go up the incline better.

Jim

Bruce, Steve- it ain't just the brain, but I won't go there... :)

Neil- there IS an informal hazing process here- it's called Digger and Bryan... if you've been RTFM'd by 'em, consider yourself hazed... and if they do it to 'ya AFTER you've read, consider yourself KNIGHTED! +<:)

Zach- Yes, condensers CAN go bad with age- they're a type of electrolytic capacitor, so they can dry out... they also develop internal leakage, shorts, broken leads, or in my most recent perplexation, the inner circumference of the clamp can harbor enough corrosion to cause the condenser to not have good ground contact, hence, not work worth $#it. BTW- don't call me "Mr.". I hate ties. I don't even let my students call me 'Mister'. Call me anything else you want, but just make sure you're smilin' when you say it. :-}

Norm- if I understand 'em correctly, the Command V's that're advertised as 'replacements' for the 6-7-982's ARE drop-in replacements... besides having a volumnous hood and side-covers, the x82's have lower frame rails on the sides, and Cubs tend to use a pan-base bolt pattern that isn't 'the same' as other (green, blue, etc) garden tractors, however, the one I saw advertised a day-or-three ago even came with a drilling template and the front-drive flange to match it up. Don't doubt those iron-sleeve aluminum V's with overhead valves... they're more than up-to-the-task, especially with full pressure lubrication and FILTER. I put a 15.5hp B&S Intek on my Dixon ZTR, and it's fantastic. IIRC The Command V is a tad heavier than a K-single, but probably a tad lighter than a KT, and definately lighter than the Onan 19... but I think it has 'em all beat in terms of power, smoothness, and noise.

Zack,

"A mild beating", I like that!! You'll fit in just fine. I hope you don't look like "Rocky" after the 9th round.

KT's have AL "blocks"/cases.......you'd be hard pressed to find an all CI twin anymore.

Dave,
I just tried putting my thrower on the "One Harmed Bandit". Looks like the loader arm is in the way of the chute control. I'll have to cut the control off and weld it to the other side. I'll also have to spin the chute on the gear. Do you think that in one hundred years or so someone will look at that thrower and wonder if IH made a left handed thrower?
clappy.gif

23440.jpg

Since it's at ready disposal, here's a pic of two governor springs:
23443.jpg

The longer governor spring LOOKS like it's longer due to being partially unwound, but it's not- the wound portion has been 'broken' off.

The longer spring WOULD NOT WORK correctly in my QL-spec K301... it would govern only slightly, and either not idle, or not get WOT RPM. Had me baffled for a while, 'till I set this other spring alongside. They're otherwise identical- even have same tension characteristics (I hung each one from a stand, attached a weight, and measured extension). The shorter one works perfectly.

Duhp!~ Terry- Not only will you hafta move the chute control, you'll hafta cut that worm-ring off and flip it over, so it's on the other side...

...that, or you can just rotate the chute 120 degrees clockwise, and blow (er, THROW) snow in your face! (talk about an ice-cream headache- stay off GRAVEL!)

Well, got me thinkin' now- you could use an electric linear-actuator, or a low-speed gearmotor (car window, antenna, or wiper motor) mount it right on there, and use a two-position momentary switch to turn it...
Or you could hook it right to a wiper-motor's oscillating arm, and have it swing back and forth...
bouncy.gif

Or just take the worm-gear off, turn the chute by hand, and use a pair'a vise-grips to hold it in place...

Dave-
You found the K301/K241 and the K321/K341 springs. Ones slightly longer because it's mounted with the belcrank linkage on differnt size blower housings.

I know, I have the prints.
happy.gif

Since I don't have any snow to play with I have to amuse myself with other things. Still trying to build the perfect Cat 0 3-point hitch for the Quietline and wide frame tractors. Had several designs but discarded them and going another route now. I have seen the price of steel continue to skyrocket but I got an order today and they delivered it in an armored vehicle.
lol.gif

23447.jpg

Boring day: called every mower parts store in DC area, nobody carries my ignition coil. Of course, they can ship it in for a "small" fee. Yeah, thanks alot, I think I'll call you back *click*.

Took on the highly entertaining task of sanding rust. Did the muffler first, which makes the whole thing look better, due to the missing grill. Now people won't just say to "look at that broken tractor" they will say "look at that broken tractor with the shiny muffler." Splendid.

Decided to sand the sections of glossy vinyl paint off of the gas tank. I have inherited a tractor from a bunch of morons. When I unbolted the tank straps I went around the side to detach the tank and parts from the carb and knocked into the tank. Nothing was holding it onto the carb...the metal hose leading down there just was held there by a little friction. Isn't that supposed to be bolted on? Maybe?

Sanded down the tank but only the areas with vinyl on it, so when people open the hood they won't just say "look at the engine on this broken tractor", they will instead say "look at the engine and that gas tank thats shiny on some sides but covered with primer on others on this broken tractor." Great.

If anything I will do some adjustments to the steering, theres some play in the wheel, otherwise I'm done.

I think I cut myself while sanding rust off the muffler. Thats a shame, I really like that finger. I'm a bit to tired to add 'tetnis shot' to my list of fun things to do, but in a week or to i'll have the time and energy to add 'amputate hand.'

Zack, I'll bet if you email/call one of the sponcers they'll have it!

Latest posts

Back