• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 07, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just thought I' share these with you. I wanted to thank EVERYONE on the forum who has helped me along the way with this restoration. This was my first one, and I had so many questions and your help has made the journey SO much easier.

This tractor has emotional significance to me as well. When I was younger we lived with my grandparents and I still remember the day my grandpa came home with his new 782D. This was the first tractor I ever drove, and I leaned how to mow lawn with it too. He used to let me drive that thing all over the country. It meant so much to me. That tractor WAS my childhood. Then one day he sold it and I told myself I would get another one some day and I would never let it go.

So I found this tractor. It was at a dealer and it was barely hanging together. There was only 1 bolt that held the rear end to the frame. The dealer didn't even know if it ran because the previous owner had the wiring harness so chopped up, that he had 4 toggle switches hidden under the abttery tray and no one knew the proper combination of them to get it started. But it was perfect for me. I bought it for $500. That was 3 years ago. I was 25 then. So here is some info on the tractor.

I stripped down the complete tractor right down to the bare frame. I had EVERYTHING sandblasted or media blasted. All of the red parts were painted taking the IH formula and converting it into a Dupont basecoat clearcoat setup. Eveything red was then wet sanded and buffed. You could pop a zit in this paint it is so clear.

Everything black was pwdercoated. Everything. The rest of the stuff was all bought new. Wiring harness, all the electronics, the works.

Engine-Again, I didn't even know if it ran, and I was going to have it rebuilt, but I didn't want to because I wanted to know if it DID run and what kind of condition it was in. After all, these are suppose to be VERY durable engines. So I took a gamble, and instead spent seveal days sanding and preping the engine for paint. Here I used a custom pearl blue made for high temp applications. All the easy parts on the motor I as well bought new.

So i put the baby back in its home and hooked it all back up and to my GREAT surprise, that thing fired right up like was waiting. Not ONE problem. It doesn't smoke, leak or nothing. So it was the perfect outcome.

All i have left to do now is get a decal set, paint the rims, and that's it. This hasn't been cheap, but well worth it!

So not to bore you with this long story, but i just wanted everyone to know JUST how much your help has meant and how important this has all been for me. Without your help, who knows where the thing would be. Thanks agin--Nate Dorn
44009.jpg

44010.jpg

44011.jpg

44012.jpg

<font color="ff0000">who forgot to press ENTER...?</font>
44013.jpg

44014.jpg

Can someone please fix the w i d e s c r e e n effect going on here please, I am getting dizzy trying to read the posts.
Thanks.

Nate,

One word...WOW!!!

That thing looks amazing, I really like the paint job on the motor. really looks slick.

Great Job.
beerchug.gif

Military Surplus

I wonder if anyone has fooled around with anything like this. A guy on Craigslist has about a hundred of these things for $40 each. They are 2 cylinder inline 12 hp Continental engines that are supposedly new or slightly used, and look watercooled. Not sure if they will fit inside the frame, but then again, I thought I might have seen something like this at Arcadia MD a couple of years ago inside a NF Cub.

44021.jpg

44022.jpg

Charlie, I got the 3 outer screws out. The inner screws are the ones that broke. I think I am going to have to cut it off.

Ed H.
I hesitate to mention this but a sawzall run around the outer front edge of the belt grove will let the front pop off so you can get to the inside and spray PB Blaster or Kroil in there.
Or I have had to take a large pry bar and bend the fingers out to get inside.
I'm not much for using heat of any kind on or near a crank.
JMHO

Latest posts

Back