• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 07, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcoleman

displayname
Glen M. Coleman
So, what exactly happened to that beast of a 100, or the Red Baron? Oh, and I may put that shiny IH red on my cub, and see how she looks... haven't decided yet... depends on how many yesses and no's I get from you all.
Eric, did you ever get my e-mail on the tire reccomendations, haven't heard from ya, so I wasnt sure.

TERRY B. - If You read the fine print in the CC Owner's Manual on tire care IH has ALWAYS specifically said to keep oil & grease away from tires, especially a sensitive spot like the sealing beads on a tubeless tire. Wheel bearing grease may lube up the bead enough for the bead to firmly seat on the rim bead but soapy water or liquid soap also works and won't deteriorate the rubber. Tire shops use a special tire lube that Dad & I shared a gallon of from years ago. CHARLIE has the right idea however.....tube them up and be done with it.

Terry, very nice job on the weight bracket!

Eric, I understand where the drive shaft on your snowthrower is hitting (red arrow in the photo below) and, like I wrote yesterday, check to be sure you have the correct belt. I posted the correct belt number for you yesterday. Here are the dimensions for the correct belt: 15/32" x 30". Go back and read the two posts I wrote yesterday, the second post had info on the ISO mounts (engine mounts) in your 1650 if they are bad it could also cause or contribute to the issue you are having, I see you just replaced those did you get them installed correctly? Not picking on you just want to help out, sometimes when you're close to the project you don't see the obvious. BTDT
happy.gif
Please keep us updated as to what you find.

43990.jpg

Terry, what Denny just wrote got me thinking.... you mention you had "salt water" in your tires, I assume you mean calcium chloride. I sure hope you have tubes in them or your wheels won't last very long.

Robert, there are at least two versions of the starter/generator, one has bushings the other has bearings for the motor shaft. I have one that has the bearings and the front bearing (the one behind the pulley) went out and siezed up. It is very possible that this is what happened to yours. I had spares so I just set mine aside as I still have not been able to get that blasted pulley off. :eek:(

PSA -

Live from Crook County, IL - don't forget to get out there and vote early, vote often, even if you're dead...
wink.gif

Bryan,

I took you for a Republican not a Dark Lord of the Dems.

J

KRAIG - I saw Terry's comment about "salt water" but didn't mention anything about it. I have My Dad's '51 Farmall M in My shop now and it's NEVER had fluid in the tires and My Super H for some reason ended up with about 50 gal. of CaCl in each rear tire, something like 500# per tire and even with good water stems the rims are just about ruined. The long term game plan for the RPM RedPower Roundup in Madison in 2008 or 9 is going to be new wider tires & rims for the M and the old rims/tires off the M put onto the Super H. Neither tractor needs bigger tires but they'll get them. Those Old Girls will be set for the next 50-60 years of hard labor (Yeah... Right!) after that!

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the information. Regarding the ISO's, best as I can tell using the instructions and illustrations that came with the mounts and info from the list I got them in correctly. One detail on the ISO. I believe they are tightened according to torque. I don't have a torque wrench at this time, so I put them in and guessed. Thanks for the belt info. That is the next step in figuring out this one. Might take a week or so. I'm out of town on business this week and the weekend is pretty well booked. For the time being the tractor is operational. I just have to be careful about how much I lift the snowblower if I happen to have need to use it.

Kraig- Thanks. Ummmm, I may have hit the same problem as you. Would you happen to have another generator or know a way of getting your hands on one. Im really despirate to get this thing running again.

Robert, the best way to get one is to place an add in the classifieds. I will have to get my old one running again at some point as it is for another tractor that will be getting refurbished, so the ones that I have are not really spares just temporary loaners.
happy.gif

Eric,
happy.gif

thats where I run into a problem... For some reason, It doesnt let me post in the classified's

Robert F:

You could always take your Starter/Generator to a local repair shop. I am sure they could get the thing fixed.

thumbsup.gif

Robert F.
One problem is that you have not asked to do the classifieds.
Another problem is that you choose to hide your email address in your profile. If others can't email you, NO CLASSIFIEDS.

I've got a Craftsman Engine Analyzer I've always kept around to setting dwell on v8's. It has a switch that will set to 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. Could I use the tach function on this puppy on a two cylinder by setting the function to 4 cylinder and cutting the displayed RPMs in half? I'm not sure how this thing reads pulses off the coil positive terminal but, since I'm too cheap to buy one of those fancy small engine tachs, I'm trying to figure out something that will work with the stuff I've got on hand.

Robert F.

I would suggest getting it rebuilt by a local repair shop. I have had several S/G's rebuilt at a electric repair shop that specializes in starter and alternator repair and they rebuild them for usually 65-70 bucks, and when they are done, the only thing that isn't new is the pulley and the housing. just my $.02

Craig, I believe on the twin cylinder engines both sparkplugs fire at the same time but they are not on a compression stroke at the same time so you may have to divide by 4. I hope that makes sense, in other words both sparkplugs fire every two revolutions, not the first one every 4 and the other one every 4 and 90 degrees off.

Kraig: Yes, that makes sense. Reminds me of British twin motorcycles - they fire both lungs at once as well. Do you think this technique be used on a single cylinder by dividing by two? If so, it would make a wonderful shop tool if this works - those old Craftsman analyzers are all over ebay for ten bucks and they look brand new.

Back