Archive through November 01, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kentucky
I'll bet you still have that pulley
err.gif

James - I'm not stupid enough to use something where it doesn't belong. I know the mechanical limitations of what I'm working with.
I may have used a hammer on a concrete porch when I was 7 to beat open 3030 shells to get the powder out but I wont put an electric motor pulley on a high torque / high shock load application. That's dangerous!

Christopher C.-

I'm pretty sure the axle from an 1862 isn't the super steer one. At least the one on the 1862 I parted wasn't. It might work, but the tie rod ends are much larger on the cyclops series tractors. Actually the ones with p/s have heim joints instead. The holes in the spindle cap might be too big for the older tie rod ends. The axle from a 1641, 1863/4 should be super steer but not necessarily.

Distance throwing

Just found an older picture of the 782 throwing. My wife isn't that great of a photographer (yet) and it was early morning, so the quality isn't great, but it does show how the little snow I had and as light as it was made for pretty good distance.

69585.jpg

What's up with all these snow pictures!!! I still have to get the brussel sprouts out of the garden and plow it. Heck the leaves aren't off the maple trees here yet. But I will tell you that we put 5 salt spreaders on our tandems at work today.

Rob N:

"When did IH switch over from Cast Iron Axles housings on their tractors to the aluminum ones? Are they interchangeable? I assume the CI ones are more durable?

I believe the switch from cast iron rear axle housings to aluminum occurred in the Quietline Series. In checking the Parts Manuals, there is no distinction between CI or Aluminum. Nor do I see any serial number breaks for either. Thus, they would be interchangeable.

I would speculate, that the CI housings would be more durable than aluminum. My guess why IH went to aluminum would be, cost and/or weight.

Guys,
What tire size works best with chains. I have some 10.5 tires, would narrow ones work better?
With enough weight of course.
Thanks,
David

Roland, Rob N, etal: I recommend checking TC-193 for those serial number breaks for both the CI carriers with large splines and the Cast Aluminum carriers with fine splines as well as the serial number break for the switch to the CA differential housing.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Kentucky
I'm just kidding. I know you are extremely knowledgeable on mechanical issues,I was just carrying on the joke about all the spare parts you still have.
err.gif

Rob N.,
I wouldn't worry about major durability differences between the cast-iron vs. aluminum rear axle housings.
I'd guess that those aluminum rear axle housings are plenty stout - as I recall many 'puller dudes' look for them.
If they're tough enough for them, they're probably plenty tough enough for general garden tractor work..... JMHO.
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Latest posts

Back