• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 17, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art,
I think that your welds on your axle look great; I wouldn't bother changing it just for the heck of it.
However, if I had an opportunity to obtain a good spare axle for cheap - I would, just because I could.... then I'd grease the center pivot pin hole and the spindle holes (to keep them from rusting), bag it & then put it under the work bench for safe-keeping.

Just my 1.5 cents,
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

"Yeah, what Steve said"

I totally agree. The Brinly plow was designed to do nothing but gardens. Having a small coulter, the coulter will tend to slide more on stubble than to roll, cutting notches like your full size minimum tillage equipment helps this greatly. The second is that there isn't enough clearance between the shin of the plow to the coulter, giving this just a few inches extra clearance helps immensely.

Here's a picture of my setup. I rarely have to take off the coulter, which in turn is easier on my Cub in terms of draft. The bar holding on the coulter is from an old plow (Sears or David Bradley I'm not sure), and the coulter is a scaled down version per an IH engineering drawing, modified using a hole saw and resharpening. The original yoke that attaches the coulter is retained so that it still swings back & forth helping trash to clear. The board extension was pulled off an old #8 sitting in a trash heap, and really seems to help. Also note the sleeve hitch bracket has an extra hole drilled in it so that the sleeve hitch operates without having it close to the ground where it will collect trash.

65213.jpg

Art - The outer apperance looks okay but you don't know if they "V" ground it like it should have been. I don't really see any grind marks. I'd bet it's only surface welded, and like Henri said...void lurking inside ...

KENtucky, would it be worth it for Art to weld up the grooves in the axle that I have for him?

Ryan, "However, if I had an opportunity to obtain a good spare axle for cheap.." I'm giving the axle to Art, how's that for cheap? Then again, my axle may not qualify as "good".
happy.gif

I wonder how the axle is in that parts 129 that Lonny is giving/gave away?

Charle-
I'd love to, but my 169 is in Northeast Iowa and I haven't been back to do much more than to see dust that's accumulated on it in a year and a half. By next year I plan on being able to make it again. With any luck the Wheatland will be alive then too.

Yep, All Wyatt's plow is missing is the scaled down IH Plastic Coverboard to flip dirt over on top of the trash and hold it down to help the plow cover it better.... Last PD I was at with Wyatt His plow WOULD handle trash almost like a full scale high-clearance plow!

Back when Dad was still farming He tried EVERY type of rolling coulter available over a 2-3 year period trying to make the IHC #8 plow handle trash like cornstalks without chopping them and discing them twice. Concave, rippled, smooth, and those notched coulters like Steve & Wyatt have; Best working setup was the notched, It's what was originally on the plow!

Question - I have a 122 and the under side of the mower deck has seen better years. The curved shields around the blades are pretty much toast. Is this a part that can be purchased (I've never seen anything like this advertised) or will I need to find some fabricator who can bend some steel to re-create what is there and what is missing?
Thanks
Peter

Another plow question: When someone refers to a 10" or 12" plow- where are those measurements taken?

Peter S., the curved guides/shrouds are a part that can be purchased. Is your mower deck a cast end deck? Is it a 38" or a 42" deck"? Does it have the round or half round guides?

Jim T., here is a drawing of a 14" plow and shows how a plow is measured.

65215.jpg

Peter S., here are some parts drawings.

65217.jpg

Cast end deck. Please note that the 42" version is not highlighted but the part number is listed at the bottom of the list.

65218.jpg

Non-cast end deck with round guides.

The mower deck with the half round guides didn't show a curved blade shroud as a separate part. I don't know if that model has replaceable shrouds or not????
dunno.gif

Thanks for the thoughts on the axle guys.

I'll probably just use the one that Kraig pictured, (Free parts!
beer2.gif
Thanks Kraig!) but I will paint both of them so I have a "spare" should one break.

Art, just making sure I don't have to get to PD14 via a balloon ride....
whistling.gif

Kraig / Art - See Machine Shop's Welding Castiron ;)

<font size="-1">I'll head off this
bottom.gif
before it happens
angel.gif
</font>

Digger - You got FLAMED DUDE !

Hey that looks like my size ...

PSA,
Previously the Classifieds where only open to approved members.

We've decided to OPEN them up to ALL Registered Users and see how it goes for a while since we have an Off Topic Section now too.

My 12" Brinly will plow in chiseled corn stalks....

65227.jpg

Latest posts

Back